Cool old hunting pic

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
They look like sporterized M1917s. Look at the dogleg bolt on the one on the right, anf the chamber/receiver contours and lack of a magazine cut off on the lefthand one.

yeah, likely, didn't look that hard nor magnified picture initially,,, why I said "looks like",,, still a cool pic

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My MIL, Geraldine McElwee, wearing her Woolrich plaids in the first picture from the 1960's, and target shooting in the second pic from the 1940's. She passed away last month at age 93. Her father was an accomplished hunter and competition rifle champion...

Scan0018.jpg

Gerry.jpg

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Man I need to go to the hunting club and get some of the pics from the late 70s and early 80s. Our club killed some dang bulls back then. Tons of big bucks on top of dog boxes.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Man I need to go to the hunting club and get some of the pics from the late 70s and early 80s.
The sheriff of Gates County back then was Bill Eure, who had an office on the first floor of the county court house. He had some heads on the wall the likes of which I have not seen since, things that would cause a stir at the DDC if they showed up there now. There was one 21 pointer that I often wonder where it is today. Those big bucks got that way living in the Great Dismal Swamp.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I'm pretty sure most of them whore wool , I used to have a pair of wool bib overalls man were they comfortable and warm

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Talking about clothes. Alot of those deer hunting fellows were wearing ties. Most people back then tried to look well dressed, even the gangsters, unlike the scroungey look so popular today. My Grandaddy from Winston-Salem, who worked for RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co, was far from being wealthy. I never EVER saw him wearing anything other than a matching 2-piece navy blue or black suit & tie & shiney dress shoes, even when tending his beloved garden. He did smoke 2 packs of Camel non-filter cigarettes/day & lived to be 92 y.o.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Another from fakebook. Every time I see pics like this I wonder how they kept warm.
Same way we do now. Layers, wool, fur in some cases. Stuff is different but a lot of the concepts haven't changed. One thing I noticed was a lot of them have over the cuff boot liners, I'd assume wool. You'll see girls wearing them in rain boots still. The guys in the moose hunting picture have shearling coats, those are really warm. The RCMP at one time wore Buffalo coats.

Modern synthetic stuff is mostly lighter and less bulky, with an emphasis on lighter.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
wear wool,,,
And/or fur. Cleaning my grandparents house we noted how much fur they owned. Not fur in the sense of a luxurious coat, but hats, gloves, ear muffs, mittens, and not all of it conspicuously fur like a fur coat.

I also remember sleeping in my Great Aunts beaver coat when I was four years old and the power went out. She bought it after being transferred from New Orleans to Chicago and was concerned about the cold. You wouldn't be cold wearing that coat.

roughrider

Six Pointer
Slightly off topic, so delete if not approved, but this pic is from part of our farm. I currently have my stand in the block of trees in the background(If I need to relate it back to hunting lol). My grandpa along with his dad and brother cleared that entire field with "mules, axes and dynamite." He's the man standing behind the mule and and my grandma is the lady in the foreground with the large hat.

No deer included but I love the pictures from a bygone era.Scanned Documents (2)_page-0001.jpg

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Same way we do now. Layers, wool, fur in some cases. Stuff is different but a lot of the concepts haven't changed. One thing I noticed was a lot of them have over the cuff boot liners, I'd assume wool. You'll see girls wearing them in rain boots still. The guys in the moose hunting picture have shearling coats, those are really warm. The RCMP at one time wore Buffalo coats.

Modern synthetic stuff is mostly lighter and less bulky, with an emphasis on lighter.

I still have a Woolrich wool coat I inherited........dang thing must weigh 15 pounds! It's for sittin.........not walkin!!

Woolrich coat.jpg