Cool old hunting pic

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If that is a regulated deer hunt and there is that many people there back when there is little transportation, scarce population and few conservation officers then wouldn't you figure that with poaching etc. that would be considered way more then 'little hunting pressure" LOL. Thanks for proving my own point.

Quotas and a short season (with no doe hunting)= low pressure

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Quotas and a short season (with no doe hunting)= low pressure
You really are sheltered, just how much attention do you think they paid to game laws during the depression. Or how many officers enforcing them for that fact? NC didn't even start the warden service to 47, it was all up to local sheriff's and constables. Good lord you don't have a clue.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Did you even watch the videos I posted?

FEDERAL rangers, wardens and forest guards.

Nothing to do with the state at all at Davidson River.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Why do you think they were hunting those "surplus" deer and not releasing them somewhere else that had no deer?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did you even watch the videos I posted?

FEDERAL rangers, wardens and forest guards.

Nothing to do with the state at all at Davidson River.
LMAO do you know how many federal wardens there were in the whole state that actually had power of arrest? There were 5 when I went to work, I would venture way less then. And they had no power of arrest back when you are talking about except over federal lands. Much has changed. Again you have absolutely no clue. The federal lands don't encompass the whole state, far from it. You think the people that were going where what little law enforcement was to poach?

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My guess is that they weren't using corn, trail cams, scopes, cover scents, grunt tubes, ozonics, snort wheezes, and tree stands. It's a miracle they all scored.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
My dad grew up in the 30's ,in east Tennessee, he said if a deer was seen , it was hunted hard until someone got it. Times were tough, fresh meat was fresh meat. No worries about the game warden, in his area there was no such a thing. Hunting season was when you needed to hunt. Cool to see those old pictures

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
How did they kill that many big deer with all their disadvantages?

I don't see a single camo pattern, synthetic stock, rifle scope, neoprene boot, climbing stand, cover scent bottle, scent killer spray, wind direction indicator bottle spray, Bad Boy buggy, 4 wheeler, pick up truck, Therm-a-cell kit, GPS, or smart phone with hunting app in sight!

Man, those guys were rubes....oh wait, maybe we don't need all that stuff????

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My dad grew up in the 30's ,in east Tennessee, he said if a deer was seen , it was hunted hard until someone got it. Times were tough, fresh meat was fresh meat. No worries about the game warden, in his area there was no such a thing. Hunting season was when you needed to hunt. Cool to see those old pictures
That is the point batkid can't grasp. All he knows when he gets hungry is go to Carrabba's and then get on Face Book and say "Very good soft bread and great service". Guess he is also an amateur food critic in his spare time also. LOL

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Here is another that I found that I think is cool because the hunter has a savage.
attachment.php

This is a deer distribution map that I got from a presentation of the VADGIF. It shows the county or counties that I suspect these photos were taken in as green and having native deer. The counties are the bottom two of the three near the WV line. I am thinking that the deer were taken from the George Washington National Forest during a regulated hunting season. The pic with the lady shows a car with WV tags. I actually think that pic is taken in a VA town in a county just over the border from WV. I've read that VA and WV have had game "codes" all the way back to the 1860-1870's so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that these photo's were of legally harvested animals from a regulated season.
attachment.php

deer.jpg

Attachments

• deerdist.jpg
    deerdist.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 622

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In Boykins, Virginia there use to be an old store that sold hunting stuff, fertilizer , feed, etc. They had a lot of old hunting pics. They dated back to the 1940's. They stacked up the deer in those pics. Had their hounds in front of the men with the deer hanging behind them. Cool pics.

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Love those old pics! I wonder how they managed to kill those nice bucks without camo, ozonics units, scentlock, tree stands, four wheelers, trailcams, estrous scents, Zeiss scopes, fancy bonded bullets, and such? :D

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Love those old pics! I wonder how they managed to kill those nice bucks without camo, ozonics units, scentlock, tree stands, four wheelers, trailcams, estrous scents, Zeiss scopes, fancy bonded bullets, and such? :D

That's easy.... Dogs or horse back. Read teddy roosevelts old stories. Some good ones

Boojum

Ten Pointer
I was being facetious. Plenty of deer were killed around here in that same way when I was growing up, without dogs or horses. And still are. Lots of folks still hunt here in the mountains just like those guys, and they still kill deer.

cklem

I was being facetious. Plenty of deer were killed around here in that same way when I was growing up, without dogs or horses. And still are. Lots of folks still hunt here in the mountains just like those guys, and they still kill deer.

You know me and know how I like my Remington pump with open sights, but I'll have to admit, I would be crippled if it wernt for my Mathews and climbing stand for bow season.

Crash

Market Hunters from the past.

duck-hunt-caldwell-kansas-1922-KHS.jpg

Attachments

• duck-hunt-caldwell-kansas-1922-KHS.jpg
    duck-hunt-caldwell-kansas-1922-KHS.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

skydog

Great old photos. These pics just make me feel like less of a man- these guys back in the day were a heck of a lot cooler and tougher than we are now!

Crash

The punts were often filled with nuts, bolts, nails or what ever they could load at the time.