Converting bucket on FEL

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Folks, I'd like to convert my Kubota bucket to the ssqa type, so I can use my neighbor's attachments. I'm thinking, I can weld a pipe between the "ears" to maintain spacing; and then cut them off. Then I could weld the ears to the plate with the "latch" thingies?, and weld the now, flat back of the bucket to the mating plate? Has anyone ever done this? I'm not even sure what to call this stuff. What all do I need (with links). All info is appreciated.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You have to install the quick attach on your tractor then put the corresponding attachment on your bucket. Depending on model of tractor you have there are conversion kits for that. They make universal mounts for the buckets. The PITA to that is cutting and grinding off all the existing bracketry before installing the QA stuff. I have installed several.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
You have to install the quick attach on your tractor then put the corresponding attachment on your bucket. Depending on model of tractor you have there are conversion kits for that. They make universal mounts for the buckets. The PITA to that is cutting and grinding off all the existing bracketry before installing the QA stuff. I have installed several.
My bucket is "flat backed", so after I remove the ears with the pin holes, welding on the universal mount plate should be a piece of cake.
I was thinking of saving the ears, I cut off the back of the bucket, and weld them to a set of adapters like these:
adapt.png
Have you ever saw it done this way?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My bucket is "flat backed", so after I remove the ears with the pin holes, welding on the universal mount plate should be a piece of cake.
I was thinking of saving the ears, I cut off the back of the bucket, and weld them to a set of adapters like these:
View attachment 103948
Have you ever saw it done this way?
The farther you extend the equipment you lessen you lifting capacity dramatically. Common practice is mount direct to lift arms and implements.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
This fellow knows a kubato,,,,
Looking at that photo, that's pretty much what I would have if I welded my bucket brackets to those adapters I found. According to WR Long inc, the "APLUM" sets you back 2 1/8 inch. I think I can live with that. It shouldn't affect my load rating too much

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking at that photo, that's pretty much what I would have if I welded my bucket brackets to those adapters I found. According to WR Long inc, the "APLUM" sets you back 2 1/8 inch. I think I can live with that. It shouldn't affect my load rating too much
Just remember to get your measurements EXACT. I have seen a couple instances especially with fork attachments where folks had logs on them all the way up and curled all the way back and the next thing they knew they were wearing a log where the QA rolled up from the bottom. The least they had, was a radiator and a hood. The worst was all that and their family had funeral expenses. I know it is aggravating as hell but I put chains on my handles with snap eye hooks. Once my handles are dogged down I latch that chain so limbs, brush and vines cannot unlatch them. If I am working with the bucket lowered a bunch I can't see the latches and many times forget to look close when I lift the bucket up high. A friend of mine was one of the ones killed and I have been gunshy ever since.