Constitutionality of stops during the stay at home order..

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
WXII reported that 4 people were arrested in Greensboro, yesterday, for violating the stay at home order.

So, it happens.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The wife and I drove through Virginia yesterday violating all those rules that they had in place, saw one trooper on a downhill curve but he wasn't after trespassers , just people driving 65 in a 35 like my Mario Andretti driving spouse...I'm glad I had just gently reminded her of the fact that she wasn't in La Mans and she had slowed to 45 mph.
We had no problems seeing the beauty of Virginia without the bother of Big Brother breathing down our necks.

Didn't you mean Danica? Or is she that much faster?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Most departments are not going to do stops based solely on the stay at home EO. I have seen several departments say they will not do stops due to 4th amendment concerns. I have yet to see what the local PD or sheriffs office is planning to do here in Wilson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
I don't have to worry about it . I got my Right To Drive paper yesterday that says I am an essential employee . They don't know that Sweetie don't pay me a damn dime . I taped it to my golf cart . Now I am cleared to go turkey hunting if I want to .

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
WXII reported that 4 people were arrested in Greensboro, yesterday, for violating the stay at home order.

So, it happens.
We'll probably never know, but it would be interesting to find how this turns out. If abortion clinics are still "essential" then shouldn't their protesters be too?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just got a text that there's a traffic stop at the county line a couple miles away. Asking your reason for travel and your destination. Here we go...:rolleyes:

Edit: it’s ok though. No big deal. Just show them your papers and you’ll be fine. You didn’t really have a right to travel anywhere. That was just a privilege the govt let you have for awhile.

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I don't see how they can enforce it, the list of things you're allowed to be out and about for is long and very grey. Outdoor activity is one of them with a very broad definition. The way I read that clause hunting qualifies and actually is much better than most as it's easier to keep 6 ft away from others.
I’m on the fence about this. I see the need for some level of enforcement because there will always be folks who don’t think any rules apply to them. Our prisons are full of them. But I also don’t see this country turning into a police state like East Germany during the Cold War. That being said I am planning to visit a buddy in another county and turkey hunting with him in yet a different county. I know one thing I will always stop for any LEO and I will be honest and respectful with them because they have a tough job under normal conditions and this time is certainly not normal.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
anybody stopped or seen a stopped vehicle?
did hear one tv station declare you could be fined up to $1,000 bucks. hadnt heard that before.
that will make for a real expensive turkey. :)

Time to put tires on the wife’s car so I drove the her to work this morning at 05:30 , traffic seemed pretty normal. Drove thru Randleman and didn’t see a single local LEO.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
well i thought there might be some wording that we can use to justify. but yeah i aint going to lie.
After reading some of the stuff this morning I decided to make a phone call to the Caswell county sheriff’s department. I talked with a deputy after identifying myself and my county of residence.

I just came out and asked if they planned on stopping travelers , especially on or after 11 April. Even specifically stated my reasoning for traveling there ( turkey hunting on leased land )

she assured me there’d be none of that going on.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I've never worked in law enforcement, never wanted to, but I have respect for the job and appreciate those that make a career of it.

Having said that, I would think common sense would prevail on stopping people for no reason. A lot of people, self included, are a little more tense than normal and our fuses have burned a little shorter than normal. I would not appreciate being stopped for no reason other than to ask where I was going. I'm not at all sure that I have the discipline necessary not to get in trouble.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so we are out at 4am driving to turkeys. we get stopped.
What is our script to get to continue on our merry way?

Outdoor activities are permitted.. I am not going to worry about it.

well i thought there might be some wording that we can use to justify. but yeah i aint going to lie.

They have to justify denying me the right to travel not the other way around. If asked, I will say outdoor activity.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've never worked in law enforcement, never wanted to, but I have respect for the job and appreciate those that make a career of it.

Having said that, I would think common sense would prevail on stopping people for no reason. A lot of people, self included, are a little more tense than normal and our fuses have burned a little shorter than normal. I would not appreciate being stopped for no reason other than to ask where I was going. I'm not at all sure that I have the discipline necessary not to get in trouble.

Like Ron White said "I had the right to remain silent, but not the ability..." ;)