Considering a Texas hunt with a couple buddies

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I haven't done much investigating yet, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on either good or bad experiences from others here who have hunted Texas before. Also appreciate any info on good places to stay or places to avoid. I have never travelled to hunt turkeys (or anything) anywhere before and have only hunted Easterns in a 10 county area of N.C.. I have been traveling around the world on dive trips for 30 years, but never on hunting trips. I really want to get an early start on next year before the season comes around here. Thanks for any information/suggestions.

Jim

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Im trying to round up a good Texas hunt myself Jim.
I figure a lot of the better places may already booked for next spring ?
Following this hoping that others will chime in with their experiences...and especially who and where to avoid.
Good luck in your search.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I cant help you with an outfitter i have been with ,
Our guy lost his lease and his desire to run hunts. We went with him a number of years ago for almost a dozen trips. We always flew into san angelo and hunted near Ozona. Magnum guide service operates out of san angelo. They have been running hunts for a long time. In talking to their hunters in the airport they never complained.

In planning (or trying to) find a place to go in Texas a few years ago I found the NWTF texas state field staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. You can find all their contact info by searching NWTF and texas Nwtf info. They consider it part of their job to help outfitters and potential visitors. Send them an email asking exactly what you did in this forum. I bet you will get some leads.

I think the only way you would be unhappy with a texas turkey trip is to get unlucky with a choice of outfitters.
You may want to avoid the smaller exotic ranches. They offer turkey hunts and may have a prime deal but they may also make your turkey hunt as easy as they do their kudu killings. :)

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
I cant help you with an outfitter i have been with ,
Our guy lost his lease and his desire to run hunts. We went with him a number of years ago for almost a dozen trips. We always flew into san angelo and hunted near Ozona. Magnum guide service operates out of san angelo. They have been running hunts for a long time. In talking to their hunters in the airport they never complained.

In planning (or trying to) find a place to go in Texas a few years ago I found the NWTF texas state field staff to be very knowledgeable and helpful. You can find all their contact info by searching NWTF and texas Nwtf info. They consider it part of their job to help outfitters and potential visitors. Send them an email asking exactly what you did in this forum. I bet you will get some leads.

I think the only way you would be unhappy with a texas turkey trip is to get unlucky with a choice of outfitters.
You may want to avoid the smaller exotic ranches. They offer turkey hunts and may have a prime deal but they may also make your turkey hunt as easy as they do their kudu killings. :)
Stay away from Magnum Guide Service