Congrats to the Pack

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know this will be seen as a UNC/NCSU debate so I hope to keep it civil and on topic, but why would Dave deserve it over Mack?

Simple answer if I am an AD... which one is likely to stay and maintain stability over the course of the extension. Mac is old as damnit.. he ain't long for the job and the incoming athletes know it. He has done a great job of reestablishing some semblance of recruiting and at least bringing them back to the over hyped underachieving, middle of the road juggernaut that has always been UNC football but really not much more than that.

That is not to say Doeren has lit the world on fire, but he has won more conference games than anyone on the sidelines at State ever has. In a what have you done for me lately world that matters.

Not sure I would give either of them a big extension at this point.. If Doeren can keep it going for a couple more years.. maybe.. if Mac can keep getting recruits for a couple more years, you are ready to hire a hot shot replacement to win with Mac's players as he rides off into the sunset.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If UNC wants to build and keep a program....let Mac continue to recruit like he is now. Be ready to throw Lincoln Riley 10 mil a year....maybe more. That will keep them on the map

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Some of y'all better be glad I'm not a moderater.

No way I would extend DD's contract right now. He's in year 2 of a 5 year contract I believe. That means it's the "show me what you can do coach" term of the contract. If the covid goes away to allow real games, and he keeps them constitantly in the top 25 for 2 seasons, then I would vote to keep him as no coach has done that here for a long time.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Some of y'all better be glad I'm not a moderater.

No way I would extend DD's contract right now. He's in year 2 of a 5 year contract I believe. That means it's the "show me what you can do coach" term of the contract. If the covid goes away to allow real games, and he keeps them constitantly in the top 25 for 2 seasons, then I would vote to keep him as no coach has done that here for a long time.
You do realize that State essentially replaced 3 out of conference cupcakes with P5 ACC teams. State played 10 P5 teams and a ranked OOC foe in Liberty, totaling 5 ranked opponents on the entire schedule.

He exceeded my expectations as I thought 6 or 7 wins max due to QB instability.

He's done a great job this year and State is returning a ton of starters. 2021 looks very bright.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well I watched 3 Ky games this year and the cats were pitiful and that's being nice if state is even decent they should roll them that's if even play

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well I watched 3 Ky games this year and the cats were pitiful and that's being nice if state is even decent they should roll them that's if even play
i looked and their coach says" they are darn near 100%."
they do seem to be a trainwreck losing coaches, covid, etc.
personally it seems that the pack is extremely undervalued in this match up at -2.5 .
Kinda a bet the farm deal.
but we have some true pack sports experts that I would love to hear weigh in before i lose my ass. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
personally it seems that the pack is extremely undervalued in this match up at -2.5 .
but we have some true pack sports experts that I would love to hear weigh in before i lose my ass. :)
I seen that makes me wonder if they are placing SEC value on that line but who knows betting non playoff bowl games is risky seen Fla whole receiving core has opted out shame I was looking forward to that game and Ga cinnc as Well

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Simple answer if I am an AD... which one is likely to stay and maintain stability over the course of the extension. Mac is old as damnit.. he ain't long for the job and the incoming athletes know it. He has done a great job of reestablishing some semblance of recruiting and at least bringing them back to the over hyped underachieving, middle of the road juggernaut that has always been UNC football but really not much more than that.

That is not to say Doeren has lit the world on fire, but he has won more conference games than anyone on the sidelines at State ever has. In a what have you done for me lately world that matters.

Not sure I would give either of them a big extension at this point.. If Doeren can keep it going for a couple more years.. maybe.. if Mac can keep getting recruits for a couple more years, you are ready to hire a hot shot replacement to win with Mac's players as he rides off into the sunset.

Decent points but what does any of this have to do with COY argument?

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
NCSU was picked pre-season to finish 11th in ACC. ND was picked to finish 2nd.

ND did finish 2nd. NCSU finished 4th.

Doeren did an incredible job. I wonder how he faired if only coaches’ votes counted

Attachments

• E7461995-5DE9-4C92-9F0B-6E78C82CB4A4.jpeg
    E7461995-5DE9-4C92-9F0B-6E78C82CB4A4.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 7

lunker30

Twelve Pointer

The line is still at -2.5 Kentucky so Kentucky is the favorite.

Too many unknowns with this game to make any kind of informed decision on the outcome based on the line besides to stay away from it. Rumor of several NC State defensive personnel will be out for the game. LB's Wilson and Thomas are rumored to be out. Wilson leads the ACC in tackles. Another LB on the 2 deep announced his intentions of transferring. Starting SS Ingle is suspended for the whole game for getting his 3rd targeting call (which requires a full game suspension the following game) and how much will Alim McNeil play? He's the best nose tackle in college football, an AP All America, and 1st Team All ACC. Those players matter when you play a run heavy team like Kentucky.

All those names play in the middle of your defense which ideally you want to be the strong part of your defense, especially against a run heavy offense like Kentucky.

Kentucky is a very physical team that has played a brutal 10 game SEC schedule. Played Georgia tough and was in a lot of games. Runs the ball fairly well, but is atrocious in the passing game.

Too many unkowns with State's defense to really make me confident in State stopping the run and controlling the game. State isn't very deep and the 3-3-5 has been ok at times.

I never bet on a team that I pull for. Too many factors that can sway the smart play.

I think it will be a close game indicated by the Vegas line. State has been pretty good in close games this year so just hoping that plays out again and Dave gets his 9th win.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Looks like rumors confirmed.

Starting LB and leading ACC tackler Peyton Wilson is out.

Starting LB Drake Thomas has also been ruled out.

Starting Safety Tanner Ingle is out serving a suspension.

All American Nose Tackle Alim McNeil looks to be opting out of the game after declaring early for the draft a few weeks ago.

Looks like State will have to rely on its offense to outscore Kentucky because I expect to Kentucky to run the ball well. Thats what they do.

State allowed 260 yards rushing to GT and Tech scored 13 points. Can they replicate that?

Now everyone understands why the line is where its at.

Same thing with UNC and all the opt outs on offense. TAMU wouldn't be an 8 point favorite if UNC had all of its horses on offense.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like rumors confirmed.

Starting LB and leading ACC tackler Peyton Wilson is out.

Starting LB Drake Thomas has also been ruled out.

Starting Safety Tanner Ingle is out serving a suspension.

All American Nose Tackle Alim McNeil looks to be opting out of the game after declaring early for the draft a few weeks ago.

Looks like State will have to rely on its offense to outscore Kentucky because I expect to Kentucky to run the ball well. Thats what they do.

State allowed 260 yards rushing to GT and Tech scored 13 points. Can they replicate that?

Now everyone understands why the line is where its at.

Same thing with UNC and all the opt outs on offense. TAMU wouldn't be an 8 point favorite if UNC had all of its horses on offense.
Thank you for the info Lunker. Very Glad you responded.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Even though some don't want to hear this the above statement while it can never be realized is that the Pack probably would have won easily with the 4 that sat out/injured/suspended in Wilson, Thomas, McNeill and Ingle.
That said I am not going to bash them for anything , State put up one heck of a fight against an SEC team that played a very tough schedule.
To win 8 games (7 ACC wins) with a back up QB and a very young defense is impressive....especially coming off a 4 win season. 2020 recruiting class was solid and State returns 14 of 22 from the offensive 2 deep and 19 or 22 from the defensive 2 deep.

State gets those 2 FG's with Dunn being injured and they win. Not having basically the entire middle of their defense against a very good rushing football team was tough to overcome.

That being said I cant fault anyone , they played hard all afternoon and if anyone cant see how well the team has improved then maybe you have shaded glasses on. . . Next year should be an interesting year and I am really so proud of the way State played. They can hold their heads high.

8-4 and they played against 5 ranked teams. I would say for sure they had a better year than anyone in the ACC excluding Clemson and ND and maybe Miami.

:) :)

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
As an alumni and fan I am also very proud of "The Pack". We went 3-0 with starting QB, 5-4 with backup QB while beating 1 ranked team. (only count Liberty as they will probably be the only team ranked at the end of the season we beat.) Lost 2 close ones. This team grew up a lot this year and learned the intangible of "how to win" when things are not in your favor. If they can build on this we should have a good next couple of years.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
As an alumni and fan I am also very proud of "The Pack". We went 3-0 with starting QB, 5-4 with backup QB while beating 1 ranked team. (only count Liberty as they will probably be the only team ranked at the end of the season we beat.) Lost 2 close ones. This team grew up a lot this year and learned the intangible of "how to win" when things are not in your favor. If they can build on this we should have a good next couple of years.

Never understood the thought process of having a team be ranked in the final rankings to be considered a ranked opponent. State beat Pitt when they were ranked, so that's a win over a ranked opponent.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Never understood the thought process of having a team be ranked in the final rankings to be considered a ranked opponent. State beat Pitt when they were ranked, so that's a win over a ranked opponent.

That's because some teams are overrated at the start of the season. Michigan finished 2-4, Penn State 4-5, Wisconsin 3-3, and Minnesota at 3-4. If a team is in the Big Ten and their first four opponents were Minnesota, Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in that order, that team beat 4 ranked teams with a combined final record of 12-16. Minnesota fell out of the rankings after the first game of the Big Ten season, Penn State fell out after second week, Michigan after the 4th week and Wisconsin after the 7th week.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
That's because some teams are overrated at the start of the season. Michigan finished 2-4, Penn State 4-5, Wisconsin 3-3, and Minnesota at 3-4. If a team is in the Big Ten and their first four opponents were Minnesota, Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in that order, that team beat 4 ranked teams with a combined final record of 12-16. Minnesota fell out of the rankings after the first game of the Big Ten season, Penn State fell out after second week, Michigan after the 4th week and Wisconsin after the 7th week.

But what happens if someone were to beat a team that wasn't ranked but ended up being ranked later in the season? They didn't beat a ranked team?

To me, all rankings, are meaningless. They're obviously very biased and are nothing more than to attract viewers for TV.

Even the CFP ratings are biased. I didn't agree with Ohio State being rated so high. Playing games matters and they only played a handful. To me, they didn't deserve a shot in the playoffs.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
But what happens if someone were to beat a team that wasn't ranked but ended up being ranked later in the season? They didn't beat a ranked team?

To me, all rankings, are meaningless. They're obviously very biased and are nothing more than to attract viewers for TV.

Even the CFP ratings are biased. I didn't agree with Ohio State being rated so high. Playing games matters and they only played a handful. To me, they didn't deserve a shot in the playoffs.

Yes, it should be exactly that way. You look at final rankings. If you beat a team that wasn't ranked at the time but is ranked at the end of the season, you beat a ranked team. Question for you - let's assume it is possible for one team to play 11 games against ranked teams at the time they played and another team play 11 games against unranked teams at the time they played but ranked in the final rankings. Both teams end up 8-3. Which one is the better team?

As for Ohio State, their games were cancelled but play in one of the best conferences in the country. Who are you going to put in their place? Definitely not any ACC team. I am definitely not an Ohio State fan but if a few of their games were not cancelled, I have little doubt that they would have won all of them. Those opponents had a combined record of 6-13.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I think it is pretty straight forward. NCSU's win over Liberty is a lot more meaningful than Mississippi States win over LSU at the beginning of the season. LSU was a top 10 team at the time. By the end of the season we all realized that was a joke. I feel Liberty will end the season ranked. Those are the only rankings that count. They are the ones that determine the National Champion. Just how I look at it.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I think it is pretty straight forward. NCSU's win over Liberty is a lot more meaningful than Mississippi States win over LSU at the beginning of the season. LSU was a top 10 team at the time. By the end of the season we all realized that was a joke. I feel Liberty will end the season ranked. Those are the only rankings that count. They are the ones that determine the National Champion. Just how I look at it.

To take your post further, which NC State win was more meaningful, Pitt or Liberty? Pitt was ranked at the time of the win but Liberty was not and still is not ranked.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

if that team doesn’t turn out to be that good or extremely overrated then the win doesn’t look nearly as good thus Taking away a win against a ranked opponent. For example, unc’s landslide win over Miami who was the most overrated team in the country all year.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
well it does but in between rankings fill a fine function.
Gives fans something to bitch about. LOL
That's truth everyone would sound smarter if waited for end year or close to it to tout teams. But what fun would that be though I don't get all the back and forth really NC schools are mediocre its just way it is they can have a break out year on occasion but people need accept them for what they are. I root for all NC teams unless they playing team I like such as the Ky game and I think both state and UNC had good year as good as I'd expect and by way from a Ky fan I can tell you they were garbage thos year even as simple as plan as Missouri had beat them not hard defend one demention team they were lucky very lucky to beat Vandy.