Congrats to the Pack

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That's truth everyone would sound smarter if waited for end year or close to it to tout teams. But what fun would that be though I don't get all the back and forth really NC schools are mediocre its just way it is they can have a break out year on occasion but people need accept them for what they are. I root for all NC teams unless they playing team I like such as the Ky game and I think both state and UNC had good year as good as I'd expect and by way from a Ky fan I can tell you they were garbage thos year even as simple as plan as Missouri had beat them not hard defend one demention team they were lucky very lucky to beat Vandy.
yeah it's pretty solid that no NC team is gonna FINISH strong. Hope abounds though prior to the finish. :)
Rankings are fun entertainment. pretty good at the top, crap shoot past that.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, it should be exactly that way. You look at final rankings. If you beat a team that wasn't ranked at the time but is ranked at the end of the season, you beat a ranked team. Question for you - let's assume it is possible for one team to play 11 games against ranked teams at the time they played and another team play 11 games against unranked teams at the time they played but ranked in the final rankings. Both teams end up 8-3. Which one is the better team?

As for Ohio State, their games were cancelled but play in one of the best conferences in the country. Who are you going to put in their place? Definitely not any ACC team. I am definitely not an Ohio State fan but if a few of their games were not cancelled, I have little doubt that they would have won all of them. Those opponents had a combined record of 6-13.

We'll agree to disagree. I think it's what the team is when you played....what if that team loses a bunch of guys to injuries to cause their level of play to decline? What if they played a bunch of really good teams?

I think you'd look at schedule strength, level of opponent and other metrics. I think if Liberty played an entire P5 schedule, they wouldn't be ranked. Yes they beat Syracuse (who's awful) and VT (who is average) but State beat them.

Playing games matters to determine who's worthy of playing in the CFP. I'd put Oklahoma, Cinncy, Texas A&M or Georgia. I, personally, think the CFP should expand to 8, maybe even 16 teams. Ohio State got a HUGE benefit by only playing 6 games....less injuries, less stress, less everything. I'm not saying Ohio State isn't good enough, they certainly are. I just think they didn't deserve a spot due to playing such a limited schedule.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
To take your post further, which NC State win was more meaningful, Pitt or Liberty? Pitt was ranked at the time of the win but Liberty was not and still is not ranked.

I think the Pitt win was to be honest. It was in Pittsburgh....when they had roughly a full squad. They suffered lots of injuries which caused their decline in play, thus more losses.

Liberty was a decent team. I think if State had Leary that night, they'd beat Liberty by 2+ touchdowns.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Well lets see Penn st, LSU, and Oregon all in top 8 start season I wouldn't be proud of beating those 3 this year they were sorry teams. Early rankings are garbage rankings should start bout time playoff rankings start then would be more relevant

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
To take your post further, which NC State win was more meaningful, Pitt or Liberty? Pitt was ranked at the time of the win but Liberty was not and still is not ranked.
Liberty was ranked #21 at the time we beat them and as I stated in earlier post I believe they will be ranked in the FINAL poll that should come out after the Championship game. Wait and see on that one.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Hockman leaving?

Leary must be the consensus starter for next season?

Yes, and Yes.

Although I do think they might look to bring in a grad transfer/transfer QB that may be a duel threat. How will Leary return from a major injury?

Roster is super thin, inexperienced, and youthful. Sophomore Leary, Redshirt Freshman Finley, and 4 Star True Freshman Aaron Mclaughlin