Congrats to the Pack

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
In the last 4 years, NC State ranks 3rd in the number of ACC wins over that time period with 19 only behind Clemson (31) and Miami (22). Other notable programs are Wake ( 15, ranks 6th), UNC ( 13 , ranks 8th), and Duke (10, ranks last). Within those 4 years is a 1 injury riddled ACC win season for NC State as well.

In the last 4 years, NC State has finished in the top 4 of the league 3 out of 4 years. The only other school that was better during that time period. You guessed it, Clemson.

In the last 4 years, NC State will have finished the regular season ranked in the College Football Playoff Rankings 3 out of the 4 years. No other ACC team has done that except, you guessed it, Clemson.

Support Coach Doeren or not, that's pretty damn good.

I hope he's accepting the COY of the year hardware soon. The man deserves it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In the last 4 years, NC State ranks 3rd in the number of ACC wins over that time period with 19 only behind Clemson (31) and Miami (22). Other notable programs are Wake ( 15, ranks 6th), UNC ( 13 , ranks 8th), and Duke (10, ranks last). Within those 4 years is a 1 injury riddled ACC win season for NC State as well.

In the last 4 years, NC State has finished in the top 4 of the league 3 out of 4 years. The only other school that was better during that time period. You guessed it, Clemson.

In the last 4 years, NC State will have finished the regular season ranked in the College Football Playoff Rankings 3 out of the 4 years. No other ACC team has done that except, you guessed it, Clemson.

Support Coach Doeren or not, that's pretty damn good.

Well-played....sir.

Well-played.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Doeren had a good laugh punking the clowns on ACCN. He doesn't get mad, he gets even.

Is there a worse set of guys on sports TV than the "experts" on there?

ACCN has a loooooong ways to go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

I know this will be seen as a UNC/NCSU debate so I hope to keep it civil and on topic, but why would Dave deserve it over Mack? Mack took over a 2 win team, has won the head to head since he's been back and won the same number of regular season games while finishing ahead of NCSU in the standings?

I understand Dave exceeded expectations but NCSU finished the year 1-3 against teams in the top half of the ACC, they didn't even play either of the top 2, and their staple win was against Liberty. It wasn't exactly a juggernaut in year 8 for him.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Talking Dabo/Saban numbers. PAY the man!

I really do think that Dave has done a great job at maintaining stability in Raleigh. I think he did a good job this year when there really wasn't high expectations. A favorable schedule most definitely helped, but he still won 8 games and that is no slouch.

I just wonder what the ceiling is at this point and what the expectations are beyond year 8? Overall, he has a losing record in the ACC and finished in the AP top 25 just once.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I really do think that Dave has done a great job at maintaining stability in Raleigh. I think he did a good job this year when there really wasn't high expectations. A favorable schedule most definitely helped, but he still won 8 games and that is no slouch.

I just wonder what the ceiling is at this point and what the expectations are beyond year 8? Overall, he has a losing record in the ACC and finished in the AP top 25 just once.
his ceiling is well documented. sad but true.
It is also embarrassing the lack of support he gets from his own fan base. PP is brutal on him.
He'll bolt if ever the chance comes. who could blame him?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
his ceiling is well documented. sad but true.
It is also embarrassing the lack of support he gets from his own fan base. PP is brutal on him.
He'll bolt if ever the chance comes. who could blame him?

It honestly appears from the outside that he is in a "no mans land" as a coach. Never doing bad enough to get fired, never doing well enough to be approached for better jobs, the fans are always indifferent towards him, and the level of acceptance is rather mediocre. Mack being back in Chapel Hill will obviously ignite a different set of standards IMO, especially if he continues to improve and recruit on a different level. These next few seasons will be interesting to observe, nonetheless.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
I know this will be seen as a UNC/NCSU debate so I hope to keep it civil and on topic, but why would Dave deserve it over Mack? Mack took over a 2 win team, has won the head to head since he's been back and won the same number of regular season games while finishing ahead of NCSU in the standings?

I understand Dave exceeded expectations but NCSU finished the year 1-3 against teams in the top half of the ACC, they didn't even play either of the top 2, and their staple win was against Liberty. It wasn't exactly a juggernaut in year 8 for him.
Where was Mack picked in the preseason? To me, he underachieved based on expectations. Now, I'd be the first to say those expectations were ridiculous and unwarranted based on where unc was before him and the average season they had last year.

This year, unc had 2 very bad losses, a miracle win against WF and had a one possession game against Syracuse in the 4th quarter.

Compare that to DD who was predicted to be a 3 or 4 win team. He lost his starting QB and still won 8 regular season games. State had no bad losses and performed much better than expected.

To me, it's a no brainer who should win the award. But its the ACC media and their history of post season award selections is head scratching to say the least.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
ND was picked 2nd and will likely finish 2nd.

And their really not an ACC full time member.

It's just hard for me to consider someone doing a great job by doing exactly what's expected.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I wouldnt even bring preseason predictions into comparing how my team finished they are just garbage and this year more than ever. Ask coastal carolina who was picked finish last and sits undefeated conf champ and that BYU win was nice for them.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If they can take their 💰 ND should be able to take their awards.......
You got a prediction for today? My heart says ND wins 31-28 but my gut says clemson by 34-24. I just can't see Irish wining this one with Clemson close to full strength but my biggest concern is those missing O lineman for ND that is heart of team and I think Book may have run for his life which he likes to do at times

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You got a prediction for today? My heart says ND wins 31-28 but my gut says clemson by 34-24. I just can't see Irish wining this one with Clemson close to full strength but my biggest concern is those missing O lineman for ND that is heart of team and I think Book may have run for his life which he likes to do at times
all i know is that all the money is being placed on ND to beat the spread of 10.5, like 95% are taking points and ND.
Vegas is hoping like hell the tigers cover.
I just hope they win.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have no idea to be honest

This ND team I’ve felt more comfortable with in decades, even when down

on the other hand I am realistic and can see ND laying a big egg.

To add: Clemson seems to play good when against the ropes in a must win game.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
" It's just hard for me to consider someone doing a great job by doing exactly what's expected. "

This.

That's the criteria that should be used but politics are injected in most postseason awards voted upon media members with biased ties.

David Cutliffe won the award in 2012 going 6-7 on the year and finishing next to last in the Coastal Division. He is the first coach to finish under .500 and win COY award since William Elias with Virginia in 1961 at 4-6.

Did David win it because he did exactly what was expected? Or did he win it for exceeding expectations? FYI - Duke was predicted to finish dead last in the Coastal. Dave was able to win enough games and get to bowl eligibilty. He exceeded expectations and therefore won the award.

Scott Satterfield won it last year going 7-5. Did he win it by doing exactly what was expected of him?

When all factors are considered, Dave Doeren should win coach of the year. The only way I see that he doesn't is if Notre Dame beats Clemson today. You don't beat Clemson this day and age twice and not win Coach of the Year.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
I do find it ironic that they named Scott Satterfield ACC Coach of the year the week leading up to the ACC title game.

This year they have not and probably awaiting on the outcome of the ND/Clemson game to find a reason not to give it to DD.

Swofford's one last dig at State before he exits?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
all i know is that all the money is being placed on ND to beat the spread of 10.5, like 95% are taking points and ND.
Vegas is hoping like hell the tigers cover.
I just hope they win.
I was quite surprised that is big spread for team that has not only beat Clemson but has one best front 7s. ND has weak overall secondary besides that safety so I guess they figure Lawrence is gonna smoke em and ND missing this O lineman wont be able control clock by running to keep score close

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I was quite surprised that is big spread for team that has not only beat Clemson but has one best front 7s. ND has weak overall secondary besides that safety so I guess they figure Lawrence is gonna smoke em and ND missing this O lineman wont be able control clock by running to keep score close
this is the widest betting margin (money placed) i have ever seen.
We'll see who knows the bettors or the oddsmakers.