Concrete Counter Tops

m23cbl

Six Pointer
I did some on my outdoor kitchen last summer. I used a product called Z Form. Poured it in place. It worked really well. Used some cow fence panels for rebar. I used concrete from Lowes that just had sand in it, no big rocks. Mix it a little wet. I would not used Durock as a backer board. When you screw the edging down to the Durock the screws will pull out pretty easy. In hindsight I would have used 3/8 plywood. I wanted my finish real slick so I bought some sanding pads off Amazon that worked nice. I stained my concrete stain and its held up well. I've only the tops done for a year but no cracks or problems at all.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I used Profinish 5000 and 3/4" melamine board for the form. The melamine board is so slick, your tops come out of the mold with a nice smooth finish already. I was able to start with 200-400 grit paper immediately. It was a fun project, but you will need some help getting your tops turned over and in place. I was happy how it turned out, especially since I had never done it before. These pictures are right out of the mold, before I started the sanding process.
yjLznlH.jpg

AEdBWt2.jpg

IwDbT3g.jpg

B2FNXf2.jpg

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Being a plumber, I've seen some great concrete counter-tops and some disasters! There is a right way and a wrong way for sure. If not sealed properly, they begin to stain and look like doo-doo quickly!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Being a plumber, I've seen some great concrete counter-tops and some disasters! There is a right way and a wrong way for sure. If not sealed properly, they begin to stain and look like doo-doo quickly!

I think you are right. I don't think the sealer I used is worth a crap. Gonna have to sand it off and reseal it with another product.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used Profinish 5000 and 3/4" melamine board for the form. The melamine board is so slick, your tops come out of the mold with a nice smooth finish already. I was able to start with 200-400 grit paper immediately. It was a fun project, but you will need some help getting your tops turned over and in place. I was happy how it turned out, especially since I had never done it before. These pictures are right out of the mold, before I started the sanding process.
yjLznlH.jpg

AEdBWt2.jpg

IwDbT3g.jpg

B2FNXf2.jpg
do you have an audience watching you cook with the way those chairs are turned.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
When I managed a countertop fab shop concrete was getting popular. The prefab stuff was pricey and not as strong as granite contrary to how they marketed. Whatever the Vendor used it was a real hard epoxy like resin to seal. Not the same as a Granite Resin. It reminded me of a glossy poly finish on wood that was really thick. Granite in contrast appears to shine just from polishing but it does have resin forced in to seal off fissures, etc. before polishing. I know the sealers the Concrete Vendor used where more of a one time thing. With Granite we used Gran Quartz petroleum based Pro Seal. Not the same as a concrete seal though which is more of a top coat. I don’t recall who the Vendors even where for concrete. There is or was a company making a Quartz like product but using recycled glass and concrete but it was more of the ground materials in a Quartz Resin Countertop. If I heard the name I’d remember it. It looked a lot like Zodiaq or Hanstone but much more expensive and stained easier.

m23cbl

Six Pointer
Both projects look great, thanks both for the help.
I did my outdoor fireplace tops also. With so many angles pouring it in place was my only real option.

Attachments

• 0839F930-0D3C-40A3-8770-C36191FFA5CF.jpeg
    0839F930-0D3C-40A3-8770-C36191FFA5CF.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 19