Compressed air operated "shotgun" ??

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody know if any of the good quality air gun companies make a small bore air operated shotgun ?

hunter930

Six Pointer
Why could you not "develop" your own? Prepare to fire the rifle,push one of the little cleaning disks down the barrel, load some shot, then another cleaning disk, same as a M/L shotgun?

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why could you not "develop" your own? Prepare to fire the rifle,push one of the little cleaning disks down the barrel, load some shot, then another cleaning disk, same as a M/L shotgun?
Was thinking of a slightly larger bore than a .177 or .22 pellet

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Check Gateway to Airguns and look under big bores. There are some companies but their names escape right now. Maybe Quakenbush. I just sold my 30 cal project but that was a rifled deal. You will quickly realize that the PCP tank and reg is pretty pricey. Check the yellow forums for used tanks but make sure they are fairly new and in Regulation. If you need anything with PCP rifles let me know. I just soldout of the PCP stuff but have liked them and used them off and on for four years or more. There is a local group but they mostly shoot FT matches with some BR stuff too. They just moved to Raleigh from somewhere else in the state and Will Piatt of Evanix fame is a member. I had one of the Evanix Rainstorms in .22 tuned by him recently. You will realize that PCP smiths are a lot cheaper than gunsmiths even when it comes to chambering barrels. I think the 30 cal project had a custom TJ's barrel and it was 145 bucks and chambering, leade polising and opening ports on the barrel was 80 bucks give or take. A lot cheaper than PB rifles. Also on GTA look up Nomadic Pirate. He hunts Pigs and deer in Hawaii with a RS PCP rifle or one of his many others. It is amazing how he kills 2-300 lbs pigs with a 22 pellet gun.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
If you are interested in a 30 cal or bigger talk to Sean Pero in Canada. He designed and developed the 30 cal barrel design that is popular right now. It is a true 30 cal so it will not shoot 308 cast boolits but Rsterne on GTA designed a cast mold for a .30 cal bullet. With JSB 30 cal pellets they where getting 130-150 FPE in a customized Marauder. Pretty amazing numbers. It is a 30 cal pellet breaking 1000 FPS with a shrouded LDC to make it whisper quiet. I was going to use my for southern whitetail but sold it when getting rid of a lot of my collection to cover current issues I am having.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This all may well turn out to be much more expensive than I'm interested in laying out.
Was just thinking today about the family of crows that has taken up residence in my back yard woods and are giving my birds and bird feed a fit.

Only been able to pop one with a .22cal CB short out of a 6" barrel S&W because they rarely ever get close enough and down on the ground outside a house window which is the only way I can safely shoot them.
Thought maybe something like a 30cal smoothbore with a load of #9s at close range might sting them enough to discourage them from coming back...has to be safe and quiet. But if it's up into hundreds of bucks or something, I'll figure out something else...thanks.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I think when I sold my Evanix and tank setup I got about 1300 not counting the scope and mounts. Throw in the Leupold EFR and you are up close to 2K. I have been selling off a lot of my non necessity guns to cover things here so this was definitely a luxury. I am down to a 870, a old Montgomery Ward 410, a CZ scout, and a custom model 7 7mm-08 my son uses for whitetail. The safe is looking bare.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, 10 time more than I have any interest in investing just to pop 1-2 crows.

I also think I figured out a simple way to try and tag a couple of these crows.
I kept a 6" x 8 foot section of a pine tree trunk from a couple dozen pines I took down in Jan/Feb...mounted it in an out of the way spot in the back yard and strapped a suet feeder close to the top of it...turns out the Crows love the suet.

I also kept a couple 3 foot sections of trunk to stand upright, hollowed out the tops with a chainsaw, and fill them with a handful of sunflower seeds every day. So I strapped the suet cage to one of those just before dark...too high off the ground for a crow to reach, and too far down from the top of the stump for a crow to bend down and reach it.

And the best news is that I positioned it close to the house at a safe, sharp 45* down angle right outside a kitchen window, which I'll have open.
If one gets busy trying to figure out how to get at the suet, his back will be towards me and I should be able to ease to the edge of the window and pop him with a .22 CB short...we'll see.

Thanks for the info anyway