Compound bow tech hit the wall?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Just saw the new prime bows have dropped and they are basically the same specs as the bow I bought used last year that was a 2015?

Have any of the big brands came out with anything “ground breaking” recently? To me it seems compound bow technology has hit a wall with materials and new ideas for the time being.

I know there are guys out there that buy new bows to get new bows every year but dang is it worth it anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I think Bowtechs dead lock cam system is a pretty significant improvement for tuning and a nice technology to have. Other than that I havent seen anything else to get too excited about personally.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"worth it" is subjective.

I used to buy a new bow, every year. I just wanted to.

I've been bowhunting, since 2005. Got my first bow in 2004. First bow was a Mathews Switchback. They haven't really improved on that bow, a lot, honestly. Give me the Switchback.......the Bowtech Allegiance, the Hoyt CRX32 and the Mathews Traverse (I own, now).....and I'll give you ALL the others I owned. I can't imagine what will occur to make me buy a new bow any time soon.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seperate archery into 2 parts - your end and the arrow end.

Only 2 things to change on the arrow end and those are accuracy and velocity. Momentum and KE are an arrow issue.

What will newer bows deliver on the arrow end? Hardly anything more.

You are left with minute tweaks on the bow end - tuning tweaks. Ways to tweak, not much really - you could get there before but it’s now a little easier.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I hadn’t seen the bowtech dead lock system that does look pretty sweet.

I also think that states that have laws on about of letoff keep from bow makers from trying to make even lighter let off poundage.

Seems like the trend today is everyone is wanting a heavier arrow, which to me is taking it back to early days of compounds when all you had was aluminum and they we “heavy”.

I think the next big change in bow tech is going to be how to shoot a 500-700 grain arrow at the advertised speeds that they have now. But in my mind that eliminates lighter arrows in those bows due to the energy it would take to make a heavy arrow fly that fast.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I hadn’t seen the bowtech dead lock system that does look pretty sweet.

I also think that states that have laws on about of letoff keep from bow makers from trying to make even lighter let off poundage.

Seems like the trend today is everyone is wanting a heavier arrow, which to me is taking it back to early days of compounds when all you had was aluminum and they we “heavy”.

I think the next big change in bow tech is going to be how to shoot a 500-700 grain arrow at the advertised speeds that they have now. But in my mind that eliminates lighter arrows in those bows due to the energy it would take to make a heavy arrow fly that fast.

1606305465123.png

We are going to have to rethink some things to get those numbers. Let's start with anchor point.........

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Imo, yes. Every year, I glance at the new bows and the specs. They simply don’t change $1500-2000 worth, or even $500 worth.

I just looked up the specs on a comparable Hoyt. $1600 for 12 FPS faster, a shorter brace height, and +.3 lbs? Nah...I’ll stick with my 2012 Carbon Element rkt.

When I purchased that bow, it was a significant upgrade over my 05 Bowtech. Better performance with less draw weight, noise, and weight. When that needle swings far enough in the future, I’ll re-evaluate(y)

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I think so. I purposely went back In time after newbreed closed the door.
The new bows to me are over engineered.
My bow is a 2016 36” ata yokes cam and a half 316Ibo at 28.5” 60#
It tunes and shoots lasers.
Holds and aims great. They introduced it early on as an entry level target bow.
I like comfort more than power or speed. I don’t shoot as many arrows as I used to but I still like a easy to shoot bow.
I miss my elite hunter and alpha max series bows a lot sometimes.
I paid 250$ for it on archerytalk. I wouldn’t trade it for a new bow. Unless I could sell it.
It’s funny to me reading archerytalk threads and I’m glad people are pumped for the newest latest and greatest. But no new late and great stuff will teach you how to put arrows through critters like time practicing.
Cheers

Last edited:

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
While I may not be interested in getting a new bow because something new has come out, I am looking to get something new maybe for next year. It won't be a new model, maybe a couple of years old.

There are about 4 or 5 models that fit the general specs that I like made by the manufacturers I prefer.

Since I probably shoot as good now as I will ever shoot a new bow won't be one that is purchased because of a possible improvement in accuracy.

It will be because of more subjective things like draw, noise, grip, looks, and compatibility with things I want to use with it.

Incrementally it seems new stuff hasn't really changed performance, so most of us are left with getting something else just because we want something else.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sticking with my Alpha Maxes.... I have two. Love shooting them.
Not interested in new bows.
I have the RKT cams on one of them. Custom cables and string. It's the cat's meow to me.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
No real game changing technology to compound bows in the last 10 years. If anything, the refinery of string materials to eliminate stretch and creep has been the best for us picky tuners.

The X gun technology has been incredible. They are still loud as heck, but they can shoot a heavy hunting bolt at blistering speeds and excellent accuracy at 100 yards.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
No real game changing technology to compound bows in the last 10 years. If anything, the refinery of string materials to eliminate stretch and creep has been the best for us picky tuners.

The X gun technology had been incredible. They are still loud as heck, but they can shoot a heavy hunting bolt at blistering speeds and excellent accuracy at 100 yards.

That is, until they blow up in one's face.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But no new late and great stuff will teach you how to put arrows through critters like time practicing.
Cheers

couldnt be said any better than that line right there!

im nowhere near as proficient as I was when I bought my first bow and shot nearly every day. I had a buddy that got me into it and we shot 50-100 shots everyday we possibly could......back then I never had paper tuned my bow set up, but I was so muscle memory trained with my bow.....splitting my own arrows became an issue!
IMO....if you have to think about where your anchor point is, or the position of the bow handle in your hand when you prepare to shoot. Then you need to shoot more.....and these days I’m in that category for sure!!
I still shoot that Hoyt Carbonite Bow(25 or more years old)......new cables and string and some upgraded attachments along the way......I don’t need a bow.....I need practice!

sorry to sidetrack LoganW

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
While I may not be interested in getting a new bow because something new has come out, I am looking to get something new maybe for next year. It won't be a new model, maybe a couple of years old.

There are about 4 or 5 models that fit the general specs that I like made by the manufacturers I prefer.

Since I probably shoot as good now as I will ever shoot a new bow won't be one that is purchased because of a possible improvement in accuracy.

It will be because of more subjective things like draw, noise, grip, looks, and compatibility with things I want to use with it.

Incrementally it seems new stuff hasn't really changed performance, so most of us are left with getting something else just because we want something else.

first thing I check, when shopping for a new bow, is the ATA and brace height. I don’t want a bow that shoots faster than I can see the fletching, in flight. 250 FPS is just fine with me.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
couldnt be said any better than that line right there!

im nowhere near as proficient as I was when I bought my first bow and shot nearly every day. I had a buddy that got me into it and we shot 50-100 shots everyday we possibly could......back then I never had paper tuned my bow set up, but I was so muscle memory trained with my bow.....splitting my own arrows became an issue!
IMO....if you have to think about where your anchor point is, or the position of the bow handle in your hand when you prepare to shoot. Then you need to shoot more.....and these days I’m in that category for sure!!
I still shoot that Hoyt Carbonite Bow(25 or more years old)......new cables and string and some upgraded attachments along the way......I don’t need a bow.....I need practice!

sorry to sidetrack LoganW

No big deal. My question is from a guy a know saying he HAD TO HAVE a new bow and then I was thinking maybe I’m missing something here, but nope bow I have now and the newer model is tick for tack. Got nothing against someone who wants a new bow to have a new bow but that thinking ain’t for me.

But I’m gonna disagree with you on thinking about the motions of your shot. I’ve shot at 3 deer now. I missed one because I rushed the shot. I’ve been practicing the way I forced myself to shot when I killed the other two deer.

Deep breath
Slowly exhale
Set the anchor
Center the sight
Aim and squeeze

It may not be the correct way but it works for me. I also don’t like aiming and trying to hold the pin on my aim point a long time, soon as the pin is where I want I’m squeezing.

I had to hold at full draw for a bit this year on a deer but didn’t start my “system”until deer was in the clear ready for my shot.

But I shot enough to have the muscle memory to put the kisser in the right spot or know it’s not how it should be.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No big deal. My question is from a guy a know saying he HAD TO HAVE a new bow and then I was thinking maybe I’m missing something here, but nope bow I have now and the newer model is tick for tack. Got nothing against someone who wants a new bow to have a new bow but that thinking ain’t for me.

But I’m gonna disagree with you on thinking about the motions of your shot. I’ve shot at 3 deer now. I missed one because I rushed the shot. I’ve been practicing the way I forced myself to shot when I killed the other two deer.

Deep breath
Slowly exhale
Set the anchor
Center the sight
Aim and squeeze

It may not be the correct way but it works for me. I also don’t like aiming and trying to hold the pin on my aim point a long time, soon as the pin is where I want I’m squeezing.

I had to hold at full draw for a bit this year on a deer but didn’t start my “system”until deer was in the clear ready for my shot.

But I shot enough to have the muscle memory to put the kisser in the right spot or know it’s not how it should be.

I never intended for you or anybody else to think their process was wrong just that it needed to be practiced until it was second nature.....it was all about practice, practice,practice!

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I never intended for you or anybody else to think their process was wrong just that it needed to be practiced until it was second nature.....it was all about practice, practice,practice!

^This

My acronym is --

Distance
Pick a Spot
Anchor
Push
Pull

When I was shooting a LOT.....it was simply ....

Aim for the exit hole.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

Didn’t take it that way.

I was just saying even if my anchor point is memory I have to slow myself down and calm down or I’m gonna miss or make a bad shot.

But I agree with practicing and setup a “range” where I could shot at lunch or right after work and did everyday from may till season

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I will probably get a new bow this year. I have done a bunch of research and not much has changed. I love my two Mathews Z7 bows but looking for something lighter for carrying up and down the mountains Elk hunting. Probably end up with the new V3.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I will probably get a new bow this year. I have done a bunch of research and not much has changed. I love my two Mathews Z7 bows but looking for something lighter for carrying up and down the mountains Elk hunting. Probably end up with the new V3.

mines 15 years old,,,,may do the same

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns

The z7 is a half pound lighter than the V3

dakine_999

Six Pointer
I still have/use my Matthews Switchback XT that I bought new in 2006. Changed my rest once and string a few times and that is about it. Though I keep saying I am going to, I just haven't found a real need to "upgrade". Yeah it's slow and a little heavy compared to today's stuff but it get's the job done year in and year out.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Must be getting old!! Just noticed that.

Mark. as much as you practice and prepare the 27 or 31 will serve you well and pack bit more power all things equal. I see the balance feeling as one of the biggest improvements you will pick up on. The .29 more the 27 is or the .50 the 32 is, I don’t believe you will notice.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You could make up a lot of that weight on the rest, sight, stabilizer.......you can always run without a stabilizer. No clue if you run one now or not.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I still have/use my Matthews Switchback XT that I bought new in 2006. Changed my rest once and string a few times and that is about it. Though I keep saying I am going to, I just haven't found a real need to "upgrade". Yeah it's slow and a little heavy compared to today's stuff but it get's the job done year in and year out.
One of the best bows ever produced by anyone.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a PSE Nova ('beginner's bow') in 2001 or 2002.
I finally upgraded to a new PSE Bow Madness in 2017 (?) or was it 2018?

LOL ... I'm not the guy to ask, I reckon. :D ::eek: :D