Come on Walmart!

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Dropped the baby off at daycare this morning and shot to Goldsboro Walmart to find a new crow call for turkey season. Only thing turkey related in the store was in the frozen section...Got frustrated and went to rosewood Walmart and same thing, nothing. I did score 2 original bottomland hats that the price tag said $4.97 but when the lady rung them up the total was $2.14 for both of them? I would have figured that being towards the back side of March that there would be something turkey related in sporting goods but was sadly mistaken. Guess nobody in management realizes or cares that turkey season is less than a month away.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Please tell us that you're NOT surprised.... right??
I don't think the buyers for WM are hunters let alone know anything about the seasons..

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I honestly am bailey boat, that tells you how much I go to Walmart for anything hunting related? I just figured they would have a few items out for springtime.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
of all the reasons to hate Bentonville ( and boy do I hate them), a lack of awareness from buyers is low on the list.
they have infinite detail on product moving in every category imaginable.
when the Goldsboro store is as popular as the south boston store with the turkey hunters you'll see turkey gear in Goldsboro's evil empire store. not before.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Used to work at the Holy Springs wal-mart part time, our store manager was a big time hunter, had gear in early and a lot of it, deer and turkey seasons, don't work there any longer and neither doe's he ,so last year they hardly had anything. get some really good buys post season if you pay attention in they discount isles.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Every time I go in Walmart I check out the hunting section. Sometimes I buy stuff, most times not. Its hit or miss that they have what I'm looking for. The hired help don't really have much to offer in terms of answering hunting related questions.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I had a manager at Wally world tell me that turkey hunting supplies and black powder is considered a specialty and only a few stores in the area carry it. I figured that was a bs story but who knows. Heck even cabelas this year has a piss poor selection plus they keep moving it around the freaking store. Academy was even worse .. ... they had an isle end.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I had a manager at Wally world tell me that turkey hunting supplies and black powder is considered a specialty and only a few stores in the area carry it. I figured that was a bs story but who knows. Heck even cabelas this year has a piss poor selection plus they keep moving it around the freaking store. Academy was even worse .. ... they had an isle end.
I hate to be picky but I cant find a box store or sports mega store that has any real selection of calls and turkey stuff.
haven't been to a field and stream but have been to the others.
of course my comparison is to Midwest turkey call supply so they wont measure up.
and they would carry more if the demand was there.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston is probably my favorite brick and mortar store to look at turkey stuff. Always stop when taking my daughter to summer camp in June. I've picked up several Grand Slam calls by Fred Cox at 50% off there.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I haven't been in it in a few years since we lost our club in Caswell but Hoopers hardware in Yancyville had a pretty good selection of calls. Just a great place to step back in time when you walked in there.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
For myself i stick with Midwest for turkey unless want to buy call off person individually. Only thing turkey related I've bought at wallys store is on occasion catch some mouth calls dirt cheap on clearance

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Betty's Country Grocery near Walnut Cove is a pretty good place. Only about 35 minutes away from me in Rockingham county

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
The Whiteville NC Wal Mart has had a decent amount of turkey supplies. Decoys, calls, shells, blinds etc. I have bought 2 really nice turkey vest in past years there . Actually I was surprised they had such nice vest. The inventory this season doesn't seem to be as vast as past years though. Sportsman Warehouse in Wilmington has a lot of clothing and other turkey hunting supplies Academy Sports there has a good selection too.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
What do you really need to turkey hunt besides time? Everything and it’s dad is online. Yea looking at a physical item is cool but usually it’s priced high because it’s in retail.
If I buy something in a brick store it’s because I need it now.
Walmart also based inventory on location and demographics. My Chapel Hill walmart is small in out doors where my silercity walmart is awesome.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Please tell us that you're NOT surprised.... right??
I don't think the buyers for WM are hunters let alone know anything about the seasons..

That explains a lot about my experiences in the hunting and camping section of WalMart. Can't find anything I'm looking for!

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't been in it in a few years since we lost our club in Caswell but Hoopers hardware in Yancyville had a pretty good selection of calls. Just a great place to step back in time when you walked in there.
Yes. Been probably 15 years since I had access to Caswell property but I remember buying a few strikers in that store.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Went to Mace the other day and they had no turkey targets or BP bullets. Now if zombie season was about to start I would have been set, plenty of zombie targets. Walmart I can understand, was disappointed in Mace.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've given up on most of the retail stores. Believe it or not most of my hunting/fishing/shooting stuff comes from Amazon. Free shipping, competitive prices, and not wasting time driving or dealing with idiots. Luckily I have all the turkey stuff I need. Lets see here, got a shottygun, some shells, face mask, mouth call. Yup, I'm ready. :)

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
After years (probably over decade) I updated my camo. Got some good deals on bottmland camo from mossy oak online store. Makes my old faded camo look white.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn't walk to the end of the driveway to go to Wal-mart, much less drive to 2 different towns.

You'll burn more gas than you'll save money just trying to find what you want at most retail stores. Bass Pro is headed that way. I've stopped in there multiple times while passing by looking for a couple cheap mesh facemasks, and they don't have them, even though I bought one there a couple years ago. Most box stores just don't have a feel for what sportsmen need when they need it.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Walmart is one of those places that if you see something that you want to buy, you better go ahead and buy 2 or 3 cause you'll never see them again.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Went in Walmart yesterday to get license re-new and waited around over an hour at the counter and no one to help....guy finally came by but did not know how to get on the system. This has happened to me before at the sporting good counter.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That's sort of the problem when WalMart moves into town. They take business from smaller stores and put them out of business, but most of the floor help they hire does not participate much in the activities that department supposedly supports. They're good for restocking the hunting & fishing shelves (sometimes), though they know little or nothing about the outdoors

Jim