Colorado semi-live

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Love the writeup, if I would have remembered you were heading out there I would have given you my number and would have gladly helped y'all get it out; heck you might have been in an adjacent unit!

Thanks but We weren’t close if Steamboat Springs was close to you

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Thanks but We weren’t close if Steamboat Springs was close to you
10-4. Glad to hear you got into some bugling, all quiet except for opening morning for me and I don't know if I talked to anyone that had much luck hearing them. All the ones seen or killed that I know of were below 10k too.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I can't believe y'all packed out a whole bull elk in one trip!! That's just nuts. I wouldn't try that if I was 50 yds from the truck and it was all downhill!!

well,,, as my buddy and I discussed after it was all over,,,, it was a mainly a factor of after a lot of years (20 for him, 26 for me) of learning what "this sucks" means,,, we can suck up most any pain,,,

plus we were both lazy enough to dread going BACK UP that hill that same day after coming down with a load,,,
plus it was 100% (ish) downhill (plus deadfall)

he asked me afterwards "what would ya have done if you were by yourself",,,
I said "the same,,, but in 5 @$%&^ loads instead of 2"!!!

after all, I did a moose (of course 15 years ago) in 7 loads,,, so an elk in 5 is fine,,,,
but that elevation was a factor big time,,, heck just cutting him up at that elevation - we had to take "breathing breaks",,,,

would I do it again???

HECK YEAH!!!

already figuring a return trip to that ridge,,, course I'll have a few years more on me,,, may need young help,,

any young fellows with strong backs, and ability to take directions,,,and a desire to elk hunt?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
well,,, as my buddy and I discussed after it was all over,,,, it was a mainly a factor of after a lot of years (20 for him, 26 for me) of learning what "this sucks" means,,, we can suck up most any pain,,,

plus we were both lazy enough to dread going BACK UP that hill that same day after coming down with a load,,,

after all, I did a moose (of course 15 years ago) in 7 loads,,, so an elk in 5 is fine,,,,
but that elevation was a factor big time,,, heck just cutting him up at that elevation - we had to take "breathing breaks",,,,

would I do it again???

HECK YEAH!!!

already figuring a return trip to that ridge,,, course I'll have a few years more on me,,, may need young help,,

any young fellows with strong backs, and ability to take directions,,,and a desire to elk hunt?
I'll get the tenderloins and straps.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer

would I do it again???

HECK YEAH!!!

Have strong back and pack, will travel.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns

would I do it again???

HECK YEAH!!!

I’ll be 40 in a couple years so I ain’t that young!! But I jump at any chance to get into those mountains, even if I’m just a pack mule!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congratulations!
I really enjoyed the story and the pictures, brings back lots of really good memories.
Enjoy every bite, it sounds like you earned that one.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was hunting with a fellow I served with,,, he's a retired SF LTC who I have hunted with before (in NC, in PA, and in Colorado),,, good fellow

so we got camp set up on 9 September and spent the 9th and 10th road scouting, confirming where majority of camps were set up, and listening,,, I had 4 areas picked out,,, first two were a wash,,, no sign at all,,,

most of the hunters were in the Southwestern part of the area,,,, near a wilderness area,, the guy I was with wanted to move camp over that way, but I held off,,, I don't like crowds

on Saturday (opening day) he hunted over with the crowds,,, saw no fresh sign, said he "heard a bugle or two" but could have been one of the multitude of other hunters he ran into,,, since he didn't want to go back there on Sunday, I expect his confidence that it was a bull was low

My opening day? well,,,,

I drove up a steep grade with the ol F150 and there was a lot of dust (well thought it was dust) for how slow I was going,,,seems the plastic joint in the heater hose coupling decided to give way,,, ran a bunch of my antifreeze out and steamed up the ol' engine,,,

View attachment 74364

kind of put a crimp on the morning,,, but I hunted a few hours, heard nothing in that area,,, and then limped truck back to camp only going a ways till heat climbed, then shut off engine to allow it to cool,,, only took an hour to get to camp,,,

as mentioned earlier, temps in the high 70s/80s mid day so my bud came back to camp - went to town to get fixin' material for truck,, no proper hose in the one auto parts store in town, so bought improvisation parts,,, got her fixed,,

View attachment 74365

held and is still holding,,, reckon I'll fix it right before next road trip,,,,

This right here is the only(knock on wood) issue I have with these years of F-150s 90ish degree plastic joints under pressure. The day I bought mine, I ordered the fix for the reservoir joint. Replaced it the day it showed up. The whole cooling/heating setup is flawed with these. I have to add about a quart every 3 months. It's not a head gasket though, just another leaky joint.

ctsnow

Six Pointer

would I do it again???

HECK YEAH!!!

Is 28 considered a young fellow?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

tempting, but I’m gonna stick with the other plan to go kill invasives with ya in Florida 2022