Colorado or bust

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Currently getting blasted with wind from a decaying thunderstorm just west of Topeka, KS while trying to get a couple hours of shut-eye at a truck stop. Hooked up the camper and the wife and I left out from Haywood county at 10:30 yesterday morning with the Western Slope of Colorado as the destination and elk hunting on the agenda. Hopefully it will let up so I can fall back asleep. I’ll update as we go along.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My brother is in Denver on a business trip. High of 82 yesterday, high of 32 with snow today!!! Then back in the 60s for the weekend.

scott00

Spike
I hope you have a good time. The forecast looks great on the west slope for the weekend and next week.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Hit the road 7:30-8, finally just got in Colorado. Been battling a 20-30 mph NW wind with gusts 40-50. That combined with a gradual, constant elevation gain is rough. Killed my time and gas mileage but has let snow leave the mountains per radar and let 70 get cleared. Hopefully can miss Denver rush hour and get to where I’m headed by 8. I’ve got a unit 41 bull tag, let’s me hunt 5 units around Grand Mesa.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Pulled in and quickly got the camper setup. Up and at it in the morning to check a couple spots I have scouted via mapping, head to Grabd Junction around lunch to pick up a rental car for my wife and some food, then hopefully end the day with a legal bull glasses up for opening morning. Time for much needed sleep.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Up on the Mesa waiting for it to get more light so I can do some exploring at this one spot and drive around getting myself more familiar with some of the NF roads. Saw a big mule deer just south of the campground. It’s a bit nippy out.

Attachments

• 86C2ED64-551C-4A7A-857E-A79A79CC7A95.jpeg
    86C2ED64-551C-4A7A-857E-A79A79CC7A95.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 113

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
No elk seen this morning (found some fresh sign though and backed out of the timber before pushing in too deep). But my trip is already made, walked up on young bull moose at 30 yards. Awesome and yet also “oh crap, this is not good” when I looked up at what I heard and saw him standing there. Left my good camera in the truck since I didn’t throw my pack on and am kicking myself. Currently having the best ribs I’ve ever had in a restaurant, Rib City Grill in Grand Junction. Can’t get the video of the moose right after I walked up on it to upload due to file size, I’ll figure it when I’m on the computer later this trip or when I get home.

Attachments

• A8CE8BDA-4785-4FB0-8F35-C73558841639.jpeg
    A8CE8BDA-4785-4FB0-8F35-C73558841639.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 93B24A9A-2A76-463C-8270-55E492DED9B3.jpeg
    93B24A9A-2A76-463C-8270-55E492DED9B3.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 4317D73E-EEA6-4DDB-866E-4618B5097F73.jpeg
    4317D73E-EEA6-4DDB-866E-4618B5097F73.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 110

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Well washing the salt off my truck in Grand Junction led to a $500 unexpected expense. Noticed my exhaust pipes were about touching my bumper, yep rust got me (knew I was going to have to do it soon and when I changed oil the other week I thought to myself that I probably should have done it before Colorado. Oh well, the guys at Scotty’s in Grand Junction were able to get me out the door in an hour on a Friday afternoon with a new 3” exhaust and muffler. Made it up on the Mesa about an hour and a half before dark and slipped down about a half a mile from the truck. Found a glassing spot and while I didn’t see any elk, I ran into some rubs there, lots of tracks and the timber connects over to where I found fresh beds and could smell elk this morning. Didn’t cover nowhere near the amount of ground I wanted to but I got a starting point, gotta hunt where elk are and at least I know they are in that general area. Had 5 mile deer does bound by the truck and across the hillside across the ditch from me as I was walking back, saw a really good mule deer buck (160+ class easily) standing on the white line a couple miles above town. Need to see how many points it takes to draw a tag in this unit.

Attachments

• 43D9AF93-3888-4133-92ED-E29E03FC026A.jpeg
    43D9AF93-3888-4133-92ED-E29E03FC026A.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 5B834BE8-C1FC-4CB9-800F-48E845AD4C9C.jpeg
    5B834BE8-C1FC-4CB9-800F-48E845AD4C9C.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 65

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Short version: Hunted hard all day, thought I missed my chance mid-morning when sidehilling through burn regeneration and a legal bull runs cows by me at 100 yards but no chance at a shot due to shrub trees between me and them. Headed back towards truck and walked up on a cow and two calves. Decided to stay out there and not switch places. Slipped back to one spot to sit, eat and drink. Was gonna Hunt there but went further back. Had a mule deer buck pre rut fest back on that bench and when thermals switched was gonna still hunt back to truck. But guys set up on the field above me changed my plans somewhat. Slipped in the timber where a lot of sign was and sat on a log til 6:25. Ease up out of it to that spot I ate at and see elk heads out in the middle. Squat down, get binos out, see antlers and that he’s legal. I just stand up, they stand up and move a few yards. Perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder, was dead on his feet the whole time but I kept shooting til he was down, which ended up being two times because he randomly got back up after falling down the first time. Maybe a little undergunned with the 7-08 but those accubons are great and it’s a tack driver. Busted up 6x6 first day hunting elk, might need to buy a lottery ticket! Was an ordeal cutting him up and getting him hung somewhat in a tree. Lots of sleep now, pack out begins tomorrow .

Attachments

• 66F00534-492A-481E-8915-B81938C239CA.jpeg
    66F00534-492A-481E-8915-B81938C239CA.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 164

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Short version: Hunted hard all day, thought I missed my chance mid-morning when sidehilling through burn regeneration and a legal bull runs cows by me at 100 yards but no chance at a shot due to shrub trees between me and them. Headed back towards truck and walked up on a cow and two calves. Decided to stay out there and not switch places. Slipped back to one spot to sit, eat and drink. Was gonna Hunt there but went further back. Had a mule deer buck pre rut fest back on that bench and when thermals switched was gonna still hunt back to truck. But guys set up on the field above me changed my plans somewhat. Slipped in the timber where a lot of sign was and sat on a log til 6:25. Ease up out of it to that spot I ate at and see elk heads out in the middle. Squat down, get binos out, see antlers and that he’s legal. I just stand up, they stand up and move a few yards. Perfect broadside shot behind the shoulder, was dead on his feet the whole time but I kept shooting til he was down, which ended up being two times because he randomly got back up after falling down the first time. Maybe a little undergunned with the 7-08 but those accubons are great and it’s a tack driver. Busted up 6x6 first day hunting elk, might need to buy a lottery ticket! Was an ordeal cutting him up and getting him hung somewhat in a tree. Lots of sleep now, pack out begins tomorrow .
Take your time and soak in the scenery. You got plenty of time. Take a 22 for the grouse.