Colorado Muzzleloader Elk Boondoggle

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Elk season 2021 comes to a close for me, Elk 1, Ncstatehunter 0. Slept in this morning, if you can call it that. It was 6:15 and I decided my body and mind wanted to give it one more go. Went furthest back above camp I had been yet, where the mountain drops off towards the valley and Steamboat. Story of the week, best I saw was day or two old tracks, possibly a big bull track from last night but could have been a moose too. I did find where they were bedding in the timber a week or two ago, such is life. Broke camp at 11:30, down in Steamboat eating lunch and having a beer. More beer will be drank this afternoon and tonight when I get to Silverthorne then the journey back to NC begins tomorrow.

Learned a lot, had an encounter I couldn’t close the deal on but will remember for a long time as the first bull I’ve heard bugle and worked and had some amazing scenery to look at all week. Grateful for @Tipmoose, @woodmoose, @Redeye, @conman and the other admins for having a forum where we can share our experiences, was good to have as a daily journal and check-in while doing this solo with guys I’ve met and guys I haven’t yet. I’ll leave you with this pic of Hahn’s Peak at the end of the day last night while walking out.
61ADAEAA-492D-4A9D-9842-D2EE9C1A8AC8.jpeg

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Glad you had a good trip. Even though the Elk tag wasn't punched, you've still made valuable memories!

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
That made me sick for you knowing the story behind the ML. I hate you didn’t seal the deal but at least your learned allot and had the experience.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I’m glad you found the MZL! It wasn’t a lack of effort of your part. You saw just about everything out there minus an elk and I can honestly say I’ve never seen half of what you saw. The good news is we get to look forward to Wyoming mulies in less than a month away!!!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Hate you didn't get an elk.
Glad you had a blast and sounds like you did everything you could. You just can't shoot what isn't there when you are !
Safe travels, enjoy those cold beers this evening.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
I lived vicariously through this thread the past few days. I’m a few years out from an elk hunt with a newborn at home, but I’ll make it out there. Safe travels home!

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I lived vicariously through this thread the past few days. I’m a few years out from an elk hunt with a newborn at home, but I’ll make it out there. Safe travels home!
Don’t worry i do too. I’m threatening to start buying point for Wyoming to go with him

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
You should have seen me trying to go cavemen on the grouse. I’ve never wanted a bow and some arrows with some blunt tips or a shotgun so bad.

I’ve a few clown moments myself. My most prized memory? Downed my third bird over a pasture. I dropped my vest and laid my gun before I ran sliding head first under barb wire snagging the tail of my hoodie only to pop up and can’t find the rooster. On the way back to my truck I felt a burning sensation. I thought I only snagged the tail of my hoodie but a barb tore through my new shirt and a nice dime size chunk out of my back.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I think we could mash some dinky goats if we all got together.
I’m hunting pronghorn next year in Sept for sure, our group will either draw Wyoming or I’ll chase them with the bow again in SD. I’d be all for getting a trip organized for out west. I still can’t believe how many I ran into at 9800’ last Sunday.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Gosh, that's the worst feeling - losing your rifle. It happens though. Very glad you got it back.

Hang in there. One hour, one day at a time. As you know things can change in an instant. Just keep pushing. We're all pulling for ya!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
You must be up around the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness area. I used to hunt about the same distance from Hahn's Peak but on the West side, accessed from Hayden. I'm sure in the 55 years hence that things have changed drastically, especially the degree of pressure.