COLLEGE HUNKS MOVING-- DO NOT USE

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
PSA for anyone moving, selling, buying, down sizing, dreaming.... etc...DO NOT USE College HUNKS.

80 year old family member recently used them for a move and it was a disaster from the start but no remedy for their lack of professionalism, honesty, or business sense.

The five "man" crew (used loosely since three of them appeared to be 14 year old teens according to family) ended up breaking several pieces of furniture and did not inform anyone, instead tried to stick it all on the truck without saying anything. Pulled drawers out of dressers and broke all of the rails so now the drawers hang instead of sitting on track as designed. This crew also damaged the home by poking holes and gouging the walls, tore chunks of trim from door facings, tore chunks of wood out of the hardwood stairs treads, knocked out stairway spindles. One of them left a dresser dangling on the loading ramp so it fell off when he hit the "up" button- caught on video camera- but management denied it occurred even after video and picture submission.

Our family member was made us out to the bad guy saying (1) no one read the contract (that they weren't given- she was given a notebook piece of paper with a dollar figure), (2) said no one asked them for more insurance to cover any damage that may happen (no one knew family member HAD to ASK THEM for options since they never explained it), (3) family member did not fill out damage claim forms correctly (even though they have emails with the actual form with all blocks filled in, video, photos of damage and response from management saying they received all of the aforementioned items and would begin an investigation), and (4) the family member didn't allow the college hunks insurance adjustor to schedule a visit for two weeks later to come into a home that she sold because they had to "determine if they caused the damage or not".

Management denied claims of damage, said they interviewed the "crew" and disputed all accounts laid out via claim forms, pictures, etc. First claimed the 80 year old woman suffering from leukemia and cancer, barley able to walk, did all the damage herself. Then claimed someone should have called supervisor, which did in fact happen- he arrived and was spoken to about the damage and how the 'crew' treated the elderly lady (I will not type the unprofessional, down right nasty things said to her because they thought she had dementia and would not repeat it or tell anyone what was said), in the front yard on camera with audio.

But hey, they sent a check of $49 as an "effort to continue customership" based on their insurance investigators adjusters "good will".

I know, I know, let the criticism begin about an elderly person handling all of this, but there was another adult there running themselves crazy from inside the house to outside house back and forth because three "crew" members were also appearing to attempt to steal items by going through items, making comments about the value, and attempting to enter vehicles parked nearby.

Lesson learned by your family so wanted to pass it on to you guys---STAY AWAY from these guys unless you want a terrible, gigantic mess to deal with.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
So sorry this happened to an elderly person. Thanks for letting it be known this outfit does 1/2 a.. work. Too many people nowadays are afraid to speak up for themselves & accept sub-par work.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
PSA for anyone moving, selling, buying, down sizing, dreaming.... etc...DO NOT USE College HUNKS.

80 year old family member recently used them for a move and it was a disaster from the start but no remedy for their lack of professionalism, honesty, or business sense.

The five "man" crew (used loosely since three of them appeared to be 14 year old teens according to family) ended up breaking several pieces of furniture and did not inform anyone, instead tried to stick it all on the truck without saying anything. Pulled drawers out of dressers and broke all of the rails so now the drawers hang instead of sitting on track as designed. This crew also damaged the home by poking holes and gouging the walls, tore chunks of trim from door facings, tore chunks of wood out of the hardwood stairs treads, knocked out stairway spindles. One of them left a dresser dangling on the loading ramp so it fell off when he hit the "up" button- caught on video camera- but management denied it occurred even after video and picture submission.

Our family member was made us out to the bad guy saying (1) no one read the contract (that they weren't given- she was given a notebook piece of paper with a dollar figure), (2) said no one asked them for more insurance to cover any damage that may happen (no one knew family member HAD to ASK THEM for options since they never explained it), (3) family member did not fill out damage claim forms correctly (even though they have emails with the actual form with all blocks filled in, video, photos of damage and response from management saying they received all of the aforementioned items and would begin an investigation), and (4) the family member didn't allow the college hunks insurance adjustor to schedule a visit for two weeks later to come into a home that she sold because they had to "determine if they caused the damage or not".

Management denied claims of damage, said they interviewed the "crew" and disputed all accounts laid out via claim forms, pictures, etc. First claimed the 80 year old woman suffering from leukemia and cancer, barley able to walk, did all the damage herself. Then claimed someone should have called supervisor, which did in fact happen- he arrived and was spoken to about the damage and how the 'crew' treated the elderly lady (I will not type the unprofessional, down right nasty things said to her because they thought she had dementia and would not repeat it or tell anyone what was said), in the front yard on camera with audio.

But hey, they sent a check of $49 as an "effort to continue customership" based on their insurance investigators adjusters "good will".

I know, I know, let the criticism begin about an elderly person handling all of this, but there was another adult there running themselves crazy from inside the house to outside house back and forth because three "crew" members were also appearing to attempt to steal items by going through items, making comments about the value, and attempting to enter vehicles parked nearby.

Lesson learned by your family so wanted to pass it on to you guys---STAY AWAY from these guys unless you want a terrible, gigantic mess to deal with.

It’ll cost you little to nothing to talk to an attorney and find out if you have grounds for recompense.

At worst you could sue them in small claims court (like Judge Judy).

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
It’ll cost you little to nothing to talk to an attorney and find out if you have grounds for recompense.

At worst you could sue them in small claims court (like Judge Judy).
Thought about it especially the comments said to her wrecked her so badly, but she just wants to move past it. She says her life is already short so no need to keep this drama going. She just wanted others to be aware of them and not hire them.

We are looking for someone who can possibly repair her dresser drawer tracks to at least get them in a better shape than they are.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sorry that happened.

We're moving Friday and got several quotes. College Hunks literally took 4 days to get back to us for a quote and when they did, texted a picture of a piece of paper with hand written notes for the "quote". Very unprofessional. We don't even have that much stuff as we're getting new furniture after the move. It's mainly boxes and just a handful pieces of furniture and a TV.

Going with All My Sons. So far they have been great to work with, but we'll see how the move goes. Two Men and a Truck were nice to get a quote with, but they would only give a range. All My Sons priced it at max and said it would only go over if we bought extra services, which we wont and could go down if it goes faster. Considering they priced it at 4 hours to load, we suspect it will.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
i haven't dealt with them in some time, but if you live in the triangle TROSA has been good to work with. They give people in need of rehabilitation a second chance, are very strict with high expectations, and my experience with them, including moving has been nothing but positive.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Moving SUCK'S no matter who does it. Nobody will handle your stuff like you... I've moved 10 times in my lifetime and have had issues every time. My next move will be a single piece of crap, ME in a hearse.......

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Sorry that happened.

We're moving Friday and got several quotes. College Hunks literally took 4 days to get back to us for a quote and when they did, texted a picture of a piece of paper with hand written notes for the "quote". Very unprofessional. We don't even have that much stuff as we're getting new furniture after the move. It's mainly boxes and just a handful pieces of furniture and a TV.

Going with All My Sons. So far they have been great to work with, but we'll see how the move goes. Two Men and a Truck were nice to get a quote with, but they would only give a range. All My Sons priced it at max and said it would only go over if we bought extra services, which we wont and could go down if it goes faster. Considering they priced it at 4 hours to load, we suspect it will.
Yes the picture quote is what she got. So glad you got a better outfit, hopefully it all goes well for you!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
i haven't dealt with them in some time, but if you live in the triangle TROSA has been good to work with. They give people in need of rehabilitation a second chance, are very strict with high expectations, and my experience with them, including moving has been nothing but positive.

If any of you is considering movers, I would contact these guys first.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

I just used TROSA for my move. The workers were hard working and efficient. The workers are not allowed to take tips but you can feed them. We bought them lunch each day. I would highly recommend them.

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
Sorry that happened.

How did your move go with all my sons?

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
How did your move go with all my sons?

It went OK. Nothing was broken, but it took a lot longer than we had thought it would and many of the boxes were put in the wrong rooms. They also took apart some of the furniture and left it sitting in the garage. However, all of that was an easy fix. The big thing is that their quote was low, so it was about $600 more than they said it would be - but it was based on weight. The team was nice and professional and we're just happy nothing was broken.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
OP - you may want to consider contacting the state AG's office. They tend to take senior abuse and exploitation pretty seriously. At the very least, it might get this company on their radar screen and give you a little satisfaction along the way.