College Basketball 2022-2023

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Coach k did not order Henderson to take out hansbrough lol Unc got the best of Duke most of the time during that 4 year span and I’m sure they were tired of getting smoked……I don’t think Henderson was trying to break his nose but wasn’t going to let hansbrough have anything easy. The difference is how it looked on camera…..it looked very intentional whether it was or not. Even if I wasn’t a unc fan the leaky black play did not look like an intentional play with malice to hurt someone. The foul was not what hurt the kid, it was the fall and landing. Gerald physically broke Tyler’s nose with his arm/elbow and the ball really wasn’t close to whatever Gerald was aiming at. But to think coach k was telling his best player to try and take out the crosstown rival’s best player is over the top. Things like that could back fire really quickly.
Yep. By the time Henderson got there, the ball had already been blocked.

It's a good thing that 5'3" UNC player was right there to hold Hanbrough back. Otherwise, it could've gotten ugly.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Leaky had no intention of hurting Smith I agree, but the VA Tech kid celebrated last night and throat punched Flip with no malicious intention either. How come one is a flagrant and the other is not?

At least Leaky’s was a basketball play.
you can find your answer here:
Check out the comments.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Riddle me this and make it make sense though-
How can a player throat punch an opponent while celebrating a shot and get away with it, yet another player goes for a block and accidentally hits a guy in the head and it is a flagrant 2 and ejection?

I could not believe there was no foul call made. I'm pretty convinced it was an accident, however, that's no reason to ingore the incident. I've not researched to see what the talking heads are saying the reason given for the "no call", but all I can assume is that they waived it off as an "accident". Well, that doesn't fly. The vast majority of fouls made/called are not "intentional", therefore that would mean they are also accidental. Made zero sense to me why no foul was called. Moving forward, apparently it's okay to fake a celebration fist pump and punch whoever.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I could not believe there was no foul call made. I'm pretty convinced it was an accident, however, that's no reason to ingore the incident. I've not researched to see what the talking heads are saying the reason given for the "no call", but all I can assume is that they waived it off as an "accident". Well, that doesn't fly. The vast majority of fouls made/called are not "intentional", therefore that would mean they are also accidental. Made zero sense to me why no foul was called. Moving forward, apparently it's okay to fake a celebration fist pump and punch whoever.
the referees probably wished to escape with their lives. :)
among other things.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
One thing I believe everyone can agree on is that College ref's leave much to be desired. Call the game the same way for both sides. This doesn't mean both teams should have an equal number of fouls just that the same thing should be a foul for both teams. Stop with the tendency BS and giving teams a break because "they are historically a good defensive team." Also, if something is a foul in the first minute it should be a foul at the end of the game too. None of that hack-a-thon no call just because time expired.

If its a foul it's a foul.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Idk when boeheim is ever gonna learn that women’s defense doesn’t work in men’s basketball…..especially not in the acc.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
This Cuse game has been fun. Hate its being decided by the Flagrant.

I agree. I do think it was an offensive foul but they should’ve left it at that. The kid just went flying down the lane out of control. Just an aggressive play but he probably cost his team the game

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
It ended up being a close game but that is the best game Carolina has played all year. Tough win on the road in a tough environment. They are trending in the right direction.

Hope rj is okay.

Last edited:

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
After events during the last few days, all I can say is college basketball is soft as charmin.

It’s a physical sport, occasional bumps and bruises are going to happen when athletes make hard basketball plays.

What a crappy way to win but the Heels will take it.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
After events during the last few days, all I can say is college basketball is soft as charmin.

It’s a physical sport, occasional bumps and bruises are going to happen when athletes make hard basketball plays.

What a crappy way to win but the Heels will take it.
In my opinion it should have been UNC up 1 with RJ on the line since we were in the bonus from the charge.

Not sure I saw the flagrant but obviously the ref's understand those rules different than I do after UNC/State VT/Duke UNC/Cuse.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Virginia tech no call was an easy call. Ball was not in play at the time. They could have called a foul but being the ball was not in play and inadvertent they chose a no call. Which I think most would do the same
....fans don't like it but probably the right call.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
In my opinion it should have been UNC up 1 with RJ on the line since we were in the bonus from the charge.

Not sure I saw the flagrant but obviously the ref's understand those rules different than I do after UNC/State VT/Duke UNC/Cuse.

I agree except it should have been a charge and Carolina inbounding the ball. You don’t get free throws for drawing a charge. Then Syracuse would’ve been trying to force a turnover or fouling.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
I agree except it should have been a charge and Carolina inbounding the ball. You don’t get free throws for drawing a charge. Then Syracuse would’ve been trying to force a turnover or fouling.
Learn something new every day, thanks. I thought since we were in the bonus all fouls resulted in FT's

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I 6hink Boheim's version is more accurate in the discussion of that game. 23 vs 3 free throws from a zone playing team. Poor late whistles against syracuse.
Unc is the new duke in getting favorable treatment in the post K era. Or at least amongst non unc fans.
If yall cant see that then you were watching a different game than me. It was absurd in favor of CH down the stretch. Even the announcers commented on that.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...2-68-loss-to-Tar-Heels-203628206/#203628206_1

No @CharlesIngalls _ i didnt bet on teh heels. :) But they would have covered famously if they had taken advantage of the ref's charity and made their free throws. How many did they miss?

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
I 6hink Boheim's version is more accurate in the discussion of that game. 23 vs 3 free throws from a zone playing team. Poor late whistles against syracuse.
Unc is the new duke in getting favorable treatment in the post K era. Or at least amongst non unc fans.
If yall cant see that then you were watching a different game than me. It was absurd in favor of CH down the stretch. Even the announcers commented on that.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...2-68-loss-to-Tar-Heels-203628206/#203628206_1

No @CharlesIngalls _ i didnt bet on teh heels. :) But they would have covered famously if they had taken advantage of the ref's charity and made their free throws. How many did they miss?
It's been that way through the history of time. In all hierarchy civilizations. You claim what you kill.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

Syracuse lost because they play womens defense. Carolina shredded that zone all night long as they do most of the time. That’s why boeheim has been coaching since biblical days and only 1 national championship to show for it. We often talk about who has done less with more……he is the poster child for it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Syracuse lost because they play womens defense. Carolina shredded that zone all night long as they do most of the time. That’s why boeheim has been coaching since biblical days and only 1 national championship to show for it. We often talk about who has done less with more……he is the poster child for it.
their defense is the only reason they stayed close last night. They cant man up against unc's talent. Love's and the corner guy's threes did them in. Glad love finally got out of his slump.
As for last night and the reason they lost...... let's just say it wasnt their defense. :)

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer

Too many- I thought Trimble’s misses with .8 seconds to cover were the best though. He probably secured a bag or something

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Too many- I thought Trimble’s misses with .8 seconds to cover were the best though. He probably secured a bag or something
that was fun to watch it play out. Rece Davis knew the signifigance of it. It is astounding how close they get some of the betting lines.
I really think the govt should study their process and use it to train weathermen and economic forecasters. LOL

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If davis doesnt win the natty with all the experience and talent- this season is a bust for unc.
And looking at his recruiting they may go back to back nattys like they did in durham.