College Basketball 2022-2023

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
well had he had coordination to dance- habro could have danced later that night with his bloody nose-
The state player didnt cry (like bro) either but that doesnt mean he wasnt injured.
Why do you think he asked for a towel? He put that over his face so you couldn't see him cry. But he cried. Why do you think he put a towel over his face? The lights were hurting his eyes?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
He (Leaky) made a play on the ball that resulted in a hard foul. The difference is Henderson didn't attempt to make a play on the ball he just put his elbow into Tyler's face. One was a basketball play the other was a physical attack.

But don't let me stop you from firing up the spin machine.
that is eaxctly the issue- when it's against unc it's the end of the world- unc sends them to the hospital and it's a "hard foul"
Surely you cant be too biased to see that pattern.
The spin comes from unc army when they are "harmed".

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He (Leaky) made a play on the ball that resulted in a hard foul. The difference is Henderson didn't attempt to make a play on the ball he just put his elbow into Tyler's face. One was a basketball play the other was a physical attack.

But don't let me stop you from firing up the spin machine.
Well, for all intents and purposes...the ball had already been blocked before Henderson got there. But, "a play on the ball" was the situatio, then, too.

Small exception....the smallest guy on the team "held back" Hansbrough.....lol. Danika Patrick could've held back Hansbrough......lol.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Why do you think he asked for a towel? He put that over his face so you couldn't see him cry. But he cried. Why do you think he put a towel over his face? The lights were hurting his eyes?
Hbro should have gotten him a towel-
You are making my point nicely - leaky should be suspended.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well, for all intents and purposes...the ball had already been blocked before Henderson got there. But, "a play on the ball" was the situatio, then, too.

Small exception....the smallest guy on the team "held back" Hansbrough.....lol. Danika Patrick could've held back Hansbrough......lol.
Which is why he lasted about a week in the league.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Ain't gonna happen!
Refs will be hand picked and will be on high alert and will be graded on how they officiate this particular game!!
there you go putting facts in place of nonsense. :)
The fact that the league sees the potential for retribution shows just how onerous that foul was.
Karma can be a beast- we shall see- I can tell you this- Leaky's mom can handle the whole wolfpack nation if her boy gets wronged.
One interview with her on TV (discussion of the NIL deal) was all I needed to see. :)

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Wonder what the outcome might have been if this past Saturday the refs were "hand picked and on high alert and graded on how they officiate the game"???

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wonder what the outcome might have been if this past Saturday the refs were "hand picked and on high alert and graded on how they officiate the game"???
The same...........and there's no way anyone could prove different. :guitar:

Last edited:

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't tried to..........shrug!!
Me either.

And......if a hand selected team of refs, on high alert, and graded on how they officiate the game wouldn't have made a difference in the game Saturday.....I guess they'll make no difference in the next game either.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Me either.

And......if a hand selected team of refs, on high alert, and graded on how they officiate the game wouldn't have made a difference in the game Saturday.....I guess they'll make no difference in the next game either.
I get the feeling you just like to engage in "what ifs and what will and what won't"...............have ya'self a ball.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I get the feeling you just like to engage in "what ifs and what will and what won't"...............have ya'self a ball.
No, I was intrigued by your novel idea of utilizing a team of refs who were on high alert and graded by the job they do. Seems like that should be how things work every game, but obviously not.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
I think the biggest risk for "retribution" towards Leaky is from some deranged fan. Some of y'all need help seriously :ROFLMAO:

roughrider

Six Pointer
Wolfpacker here-

Leaky committed a hard foul, but I didn't see anything malicious about it. He was clearly shaken up seeing Smith hurt. Smith said he had some numbness in his arm and his neck hurt, which instantly switches protocol to the stretcher/board as a precaution. He was checked out at the hospital and cleared, glad he was released and was able to relax/go out when he got home. The fact he went out doesn't negate it was a hard foul and there was potential to be extra cautious. In the same thought, Leaky doesn't deserve to be vilified as there doesn't appear to be any malicious behavior to his play.
Yes the foul calls seemed one sided. Yes most of the foul calls(with the exception of 1-2) on State were by the letter of the rules fouls. The argument that Keatts "Full court press defense" led to more fouls in the paint is stupid, but people have to make a narrative. I do feel like the refs swallowed their whistle more when UNC was on defense, go check out Inside Pack Sports and the guy there broke down a number of very similar plays that were called fouls on state but not on UNC. Did that affect the outcome of the game? Who knows, but there's not much point arguing it now, and State was still in a good position to potentially win even after Smith went down.

I say all that to reiterate- Leaky's not a dirty player, Smith isn't a bad guy or liar for going out after being cleared, and while I think the game could've been called a little more evenly I'm not gonna cry cause State was the loser, or listen to Heels fans claim they're just better at not fouling. Also not going to claim the refs were "out to get State" or "In UNC's back pocket". They just happen to be bad across the board, which is probably more a result of instant replay and not so much a weakening of their abilities.

Also- "good game Heels, hope the outcome is reversed in Raleigh(minus any players getting hurt of course)"

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, I was intrigued by your novel idea of utilizing a team of refs who were on high alert and graded by the job they do. Seems like that should be how things work every game, but obviously not.

Not a novel idea at all..........do you really think the ACC picks officials by lottery in the big rivalry games?? :party:

Whoever officiates the next game will be warned to keep tabs...........I guarantee it!!

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Not a novel idea at all..........do you really think the ACC picks officials by lottery in the big rivalry games?? :party:

Whoever officiates the next game will be warned to keep tabs...........I guarantee it!!
Hopefully, you're correct and they're warned to call it both ways. That's all anyone could hope for in order to enjoy the game as it is played.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wolfpacker here-

Leaky committed a hard foul, but I didn't see anything malicious about it. He was clearly shaken up seeing Smith hurt. Smith said he had some numbness in his arm and his neck hurt, which instantly switches protocol to the stretcher/board as a precaution. He was checked out at the hospital and cleared, glad he was released and was able to relax/go out when he got home. The fact he went out doesn't negate it was a hard foul and there was potential to be extra cautious. In the same thought, Leaky doesn't deserve to be vilified as there doesn't appear to be any malicious behavior to his play.
Yes the foul calls seemed one sided. Yes most of the foul calls(with the exception of 1-2) on State were by the letter of the rules fouls. The argument that Keatts "Full court press defense" led to more fouls in the paint is stupid, but people have to make a narrative. I do feel like the refs swallowed their whistle more when UNC was on defense, go check out Inside Pack Sports and the guy there broke down a number of very similar plays that were called fouls on state but not on UNC. Did that affect the outcome of the game? Who knows, but there's not much point arguing it now, and State was still in a good position to potentially win even after Smith went down.

I say all that to reiterate- Leaky's not a dirty player, Smith isn't a bad guy or liar for going out after being cleared, and while I think the game could've been called a little more evenly I'm not gonna cry cause State was the loser, or listen to Heels fans claim they're just better at not fouling. Also not going to claim the refs were "out to get State" or "In UNC's back pocket". They just happen to be bad across the board, which is probably more a result of instant replay and not so much a weakening of their abilities.

Also- "good game Heels, hope the outcome is reversed in Raleigh(minus any players getting hurt of course)"
You're right on all accounts......naturally.

But man....lol...could you imagine this place....if the roles had been reversed....and Bacot went down?

Of course you could. Pull up an old Henderson/Hansbrough thread.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
yall keep on and you're going to have leaky as a victim?
The irony here is of course the mayhem when duke roughed up tami's son and the whole tar heel nation went bonkers over a bloody nose.
The man yesterday was hospitalized but it's no big deal?
LOL - which is it- just basketball or a travesty to the game?
The difference is that Hubert Davis would never order a hit on another player like Coach K ordered the hit on Hansbrough.

Leaky’s foul was just a basketball play that resulted in a hard foul. Had Smith walked off the court it probably wouldn’t have even been a flagrant.

What Henderson did was downright criminal and the fact that he was given orders by Coach K is a travesty……you can’t even compare the 2 incidents

roughrider

Six Pointer
You're right on all accounts......naturally.

But man....lol...could you imagine this place....if the roles had been reversed....and Bacot went down?

Of course you could. Pull up an old Henderson/Hansbrough thread.
Yea I think it would be almost identical, just reversed who’s mad about what. Plenty of UNC fans complimenting DJ right now, but if he had committed the foul to knock out Bacot then he would be a no good hack who doesn’t deserve to be in the ACC and was too fat to play real ball so he resorted to hurting a better player. Lol

People get emotional about it, I get it, but it seems social media(mainly Twitter) draws out the crazy’s with tunnel vision about one particular Hit or foul or injury and they go crazy not looking at the whole thing. And they’re the most vocal so it looks like all state or all UNC fans are nuts. When in reality 99% of them are just good people and fans of their respective teams like you and I

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The difference is that Hubert Davis would never order a hit on another player like Coach K ordered the hit on Hansbrough.

Leaky’s foul was just a basketball play that resulted in a hard foul. Had Smith walked off the court it probably wouldn’t have even been a flagrant.

What Henderson did was downright criminal and the fact that he was given orders by Coach K is a travesty……you can’t even compare the 2 incidents
well unc folks cant but the rest of basketball fandom can, (especially wolfpack and duke nation) because it is practically identical except the state player was hospitalized while hbro got a bloody nose.
But I understand the sentiment. Very predictable reaction.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
well unc folks cant but the rest of basketball fandom can, (especially wolfpack and duke nation) because it is practically identical except the state player was hospitalized while hbro got a bloody nose.
But I understand the sentiment. Very predictable reaction.
Practically identical… except that one incident was an ordered hit by Coach K and the other was a hard basketball play by Leaky.