College Basketball 2022-2023

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The expectations are high for sure. Hope they can handle the pressure. I’m excited for the season. Come next week I won’t have to say “is it November yet?” Any more

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yall give Hubert some breaks this year- Despite the fact that he should win it all- we've seen how that plays out around here for decades.
if he slips a little just remember he beat the rat twice last spring.
It is sad to me that acc football is trending better than basketball.
really at all four local acc teams. Bizzarro world.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
yall give Hubert some breaks this year- Despite the fact that he should win it all- we've seen how that plays out around here for decades.
if he slips a little just remember he beat the rat twice last spring.
It is sad to me that acc football is trending better than basketball.
really at all four local acc teams. Bizzarro world.
Hubert gets a life time pass from me. His first year far exceeded my expectations. I hope he surpasses the 4 coaches before him. If we don't win a game all year you won't hear me complain one time. I don't expect them to go undefeated. The pieces look good on paper but that doesn't always work out.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hubert gets a life time pass from me. His first year far exceeded my expectations. I hope he surpasses the 4 coaches before him. If we don't win a game all year you won't hear me complain one time. I don't expect them to go undefeated. The pieces look good on paper but that doesn't always work out.
Now if you could only recognize mack's genius.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
yet all hubie had to do was beat duke twice?
Hubert was already apart of a winning tradition coming out of the gate and turning the goat into 401K and getting to a national championship game with a non expecting team won me over. The man has the reins as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. Mack Brown has never had a winning tradition at carolina. He could change that come 12/3 but first we have to beat virginia and several other teams.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hubert was already apart of a winning tradition but coming out of the gate and turning the goat into 401K and getting to a national championship game with a non expecting team won me over. The man has the reins as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. Mack Brown has never had a winning tradition at carolina. He could change that come 12/3 but first we have to beat virginia and several other teams.
wonder why oklahoma and texas wanted him if he never had a winning tradition. They dang sure werent going to hire a losing tradition coach.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Brown for sure had a winning "tradition" at UNC. The only reason they didnt win an ACC championship was because of Fl ST and not many beat Fl st back then.

"The 1992 season was the start of UNC's most successful period since the Charlie Justice era in the late 1940s. Brown coached the Tar Heels to five consecutive bowl games, including UNC's only two New Year's Day bowl games in more than half a century (or three, if one counts the 1992–93 Peach Bowl, which was played the day after New Year's to avoid a conflict with the Sugar Bowl). They were ranked in the AP Top 25 every week from October 1992 through the start of the 1995 season. They finished in the final rankings in four out of five years, including two straight appearances in the top 10. They also won 10 regular-season games in 1993 and 1997, only the second and third times the Tar Heels have accomplished this. Largely due to Florida State joining the league in 1992, Brown was unable to win an ACC title—something the Tar Heels haven't done since 1980.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Brown for sure had a winning "tradition" at UNC. The only reason they didnt win an ACC championship was because of Fl ST and not many beat Fl st back then.

"The 1992 season was the start of UNC's most successful period since the Charlie Justice era in the late 1940s. Brown coached the Tar Heels to five consecutive bowl games, including UNC's only two New Year's Day bowl games in more than half a century (or three, if one counts the 1992–93 Peach Bowl, which was played the day after New Year's to avoid a conflict with the Sugar Bowl). They were ranked in the AP Top 25 every week from October 1992 through the start of the 1995 season. They finished in the final rankings in four out of five years, including two straight appearances in the top 10. They also won 10 regular-season games in 1993 and 1997, only the second and third times the Tar Heels have accomplished this. Largely due to Florida State joining the league in 1992, Brown was unable to win an ACC title—something the Tar Heels haven't done since 1980.

Sounds like Clemson. I hope UNC does win out. Thats the only way they will play anyone this year. One ranked team in the coastal division and they still havent played a ranked team. But they 8-0 though…dont forget. Its good they are clicking now. The meat of the schedule is upcoming. Wake, State, and looks like probably Clemson. If they run that table, count me as impressed.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns

How many major bowls did they go to during his time in the 80s-90s? Zero. The only reason they played in a major bowl 3 years ago was because Clemson was in the CFP and since the CFP came along none of the other bowls matter anyways. He won games in the 90s for the same reason they are 7-1 this year…….because they were in a horrible conference. They played one good team every year(fsu) and got handled every time. That’s not a winning tradition to me. Maybe some think it’s nifty to go to the gator bowl or the peach bowl occasionally with a “hall of fame coach” I’ll pass. Now what we had in 2015 with fedora…..sign me up for that any time.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like Clemson. I hope UNC does win out. Thats the only way they will play anyone this year. One ranked team in the coastal division and they still havent played a ranked team. But they 8-0 though…dont forget. Its good they are clicking now. The meat of the schedule is upcoming. Wake, State, and looks like probably Clemson. If they run that table, count me as impressed.

I don’t think they are going to run the table….they just lost 3 really key players for the rest of the season in Caleb hood, Desmond evans and Noah taylor. Bad time to lose important players. the wake game i believe is an inevitable loss. The 2 games that worry me most out of the remaining schedule are Virginia and wake. Virginia has a history of ruining Carolina’s party during winning seasons. But if Carolina does run the table and beats Clemson I will sing Mack’s praises til the cows come home and he will be the unc football goat.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think they are going to run the table….they just lost 3 really key players for the rest of the season in Caleb hood, Desmond evans and Noah taylor. Bad time to lose important players. the wake game i believe is an inevitable loss. The 2 games that worry me most out of the remaining schedule are Virginia and wake. Virginia has a history of ruining Carolina’s party during winning seasons. But if Carolina does run the table and beats Clemson I will sing Mack’s praises til the cows come home and he will be the unc football goat.
The wake game is probably a loss as I sure would not want to be the next team to play wake(state) ofr even the one after that. They are going to be on a mission. But you are missing the whole picture. so they end up the regular season lets says 9-3 or maybe better ..........something is wrong with a fan that cant ENJOY the improvement no matter who you play.
Really , teams dont need fans like that.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
I don't know if UNC will win it all but barring injury or a major implosion I think anything less than a Final Four will be disappointing for this season. Seasons like this aren't usually as fun to me because there is so much pressure from the expectations.

If you had told me last season that UNC would beat Duke at Duke for K's farewell party and make a championship game including knocking Duke out of the Final Four ending K's career with a first year head coach I would have been ecstatic. Looking back the blown 15pt lead in the championship hurts. Add it to the "what could have been" list including 77, 84, 97, 98, 2012.

Great teams make the Final Four. Great teams that have a few things go their way win Championships.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’m sorry but unc wasn’t a great team last year. You can be as bad as they were until March and be a great team
Great lucky run yes great team? Not so much.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I’m sorry but unc wasn’t a great team last year. You can be as bad as they were until March and be a great team
I was one of the biggest Hubert skeptics up until that run in the postseason but it became evident that those kids just needed time to get comfortable with Hubert, with the system, with what he was asking them to do. From the beginning of February one could make the argument that UNC was great.

bte0816

Eight Pointer
Did anyone say UNC was a great team last year? I said great teams make the FF. Not that every team in the FF is always a great team. FF is the expectation for certain teams as an indicator of success.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I was one of the biggest Hubert skeptics up until that run in the postseason but it became evident that those kids just needed time to get comfortable with Hubert, with the system, with what he was asking them to do. From the beginning of February one could make the argument that UNC was great.
How about lucky and great potential
That’s all I’m going with with that team. Lived in the edge and it was rewarded then failed at the end