College Basketball 2021-2022

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
I’m glad most everybody seems to be over on the ACC football thread…when they come over here there won’t be much to talk about besides Omicron and Coach K’s farewell tour

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well there sure isn’t much to say about Kentucky’s abuse of unc. carolina stayed on six points for an eternity and hubie continued the fine tradition of “letting them play thru it.” No timeouts for him.
Glad I had it recorded I couldn’t watch that mess in real time.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Well there sure isn’t much to say about Kentucky’s abuse of unc. carolina stayed on six points for an eternity and hubie continued the fine tradition of “letting them play thru it.” No timeouts for him.
Glad I had it recorded I couldn’t watch that mess in real time.
It was a drubbing, no other way around it.

In other news,
State lost to Richmond
Louisville lost to western Ky.
Pitt actually got a W at the buzzer over St Johns
Wake narrowly escaped UNC-Charlotte at the buzzer
FSU is in COVID Protocol
Syracuse is in COVID protocol

I will say this, anything short of both the ACC regular season and ACC Tournament champions for Dook will be a massive choke job for K on his way out.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Carolina looked just like they did against Tennessee and Purdue…..this group just can’t figure out any consistency. They just get their brains beat in yesterday. Hard to watch the acc teams be this bad.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

In other news,
State lost to Richmond
FSU is in COVID Protocol

I will say this, anything short of both the ACC regular season and ACC Tournament champions for Dook will be a massive choke job for K on his way out.
That last sentence is exactly what I would expect UNC fans to say, after the drubbing they took, yesterday.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
That last sentence is exactly what I would expect UNC fans to say, after the drubbing they took, yesterday.
Look at the ACC right now...there is not another ranked team nor a team even on the cusp of being ranked. And Dook is #2 in the country currently. How would that not be a massive choke job. The ACC might as well be a mid-major this year. No way around it, if K can't win the regular season and the ACC tourney it will be a massive choke a job for his last year!

My neighbor is from Philly and a big Nova fan, he said the same thing, so its not just the heels fans. Watch some games buddy, its a long season but the ACC is putrid right now.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look at the ACC right now...there is not another ranked team nor a team even on the cusp of being ranked. And Dook is #2 in the country currently. How would that not be a massive choke job. The ACC might as well be a mid-major this year. No way around it, if K can't win the regular season and the ACC tourney it will be a massive choke a job for his last year!

My neighbor is from Philly and a big Nova fan, he said the same thing, so its not just the heels fans. Watch some games buddy, its a long season but the ACC is putrid right now.
I don't disagree. Everyone except Duke is putrid in the ACC.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

In other news,
State lost to Richmond
FSU is in COVID Protocol

naw - too young to be consistent - losing to osu just a precursor to this team's inability to close.
They really dont have enough basketballs to keep all of duke's talent happy. they dont get to play all their games in cameron.
But i made the same point about the uselessness of the acc this season.
Long winter ahead for local basketball.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
naw - too young to be consistent - losing to osu just a precursor to this team's inability to close.
They really dont have enough basketballs to keep all of duke's talent happy. they dont get to play all their games in cameron.
But i made the same point about the uselessness of the acc this season.
Long winter ahead for local basketball.
Dook vs the field for the ACC regular season champions...who you betting on?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Dook vs the field for the ACC regular season champions...who you betting on?
i have no dog in that fight.
I do know that betting against the GOAT to win a championship has been a lock in recent years. When's the last time duke won the acc. Their model isnt working anymore.
Duke foot injuries, duke's fear of covid could shut down the program, anything can upset that applecart.
But @CharlesIngalls I know what you're doing- just remember it's hard to s... a s......, :)

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
i have no dog in that fight.
I do know that betting against the GOAT to win a championship has been a lock in recent years. When's the last time duke won the acc. Their model isnt working anymore.
Duke foot injuries, duke's fear of covid could shut down the program, anything can upset that applecart.
But @CharlesIngalls I know what you're doing- just remember it's hard to s... a s......, :)
Exactly, If the model don't work this year Dook fans better be glad he is retiring

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Exactly, If the model don't work this year Dook fans better be glad he is retiring
I am not a Duke fan, but will be glad to see him gone. I have disliked him ever since he got the NCAA to expunge those losses from his record while keeping the salary for being head coach. A classless act.

Last edited:

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
no one will miss him more than unc fans. he's been in their heads for a long long time.
Just like duke fans missed the evil phony des. :) No way to despise unc under roy like you could with mr. choke -aka dean.
We can do this as much as you like @CharlesIngalls . :)
I'm pretty sure I will despise Dook just as much next year, the year after that, and for many more after that as well hahaha...

Growing up a stone's throw from 2 of the most storied programs in College basketball history, and picking sides, will do that to a man. The DUKE/UNC rivalry is one of the greatest spectacles of sports. Even through my UNC colored lenses that spew a deep disdain for everything K and Dook, the game is better when both of these teams are doing well. What scares me more then anything is HD and Scheyer (or anyone else in the future for either team) not being able to continue the high standard that has been set at both of these programs.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
So anyways, since this is a "College Basketball 2021-2022" Thread and not a "Debate K's Supposed GOAT Status" Thread, back to my original statement: BARRING injury, COVID, it will be a massive choke job if the supposed GOAT can't get the job done in the ACC this year.

If there is anyone out there that can change my mind, please do.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So anyways, since this is a "College Basketball 2021-2022" Thread and not a "Debate K's Supposed GOAT Status" Thread, back to my original statement: BARRING injury, COVID, it will be a massive choke job if the supposed GOAT can't get the job done in the ACC this year.

If there is anyone out there that can change my mind, please do.
We heard you the first 3 times. ;)

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
https://www.si.com/nba/2021/12/16/nba-draft-big-board-jabari-smith-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren

This is what I am talking about. 5 projected Dook picks, 4 projected in the top 20. The rest of the ACC has 3 total.

It really does back up what I am saying, no talent in the Mid-Major Atlantic Coast Conference, except for one team... It would be plenty embarrassing to have such a cupboard full of riches compared to everyone else and not go out on top. But we all know the Rat's recent track record, and college basketball is competitive enough that the field will usually win out. Excited to watch it play out!

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
https://www.si.com/nba/2021/12/16/nba-draft-big-board-jabari-smith-paolo-banchero-chet-holmgren

This is what I am talking about. 5 projected Dook picks, 4 projected in the top 20. The rest of the ACC has 3 total.

It really does back up what I am saying, no talent in the Mid-Major Atlantic Coast Conference, except for one team... It would be plenty embarrassing to have such a cupboard full of riches compared to everyone else and not go out on top. But we all know the Rat's recent track record, and college basketball is competitive enough that the field will usually win out. Excited to watch it play out!
Rat? Dook? Sounds like the beginnings of smack talk to me. And I have a feeling vacations are going to be given to at least one person soon. Just sayin.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Rat? Dook? Sounds like the beginnings of smack talk to me. And I have a feeling vacations are going to be given to at least one person soon. Just sayin.
I don’t mean to be ignorant, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge in the basketball world that one of Coach K’s nicknames over the years has been “The Rat” just like Roy was known to many in Durham for so long as “Huckleberry Hound.” Also, fans of a certain team 8 miles from Durham routinely spell “Duke” with an alternate spelling. Kind of like the other side refers to the Tarheels as “The Cheats” or “Tarholes”

If that is not allowed here, my apologies and rest assured it won’t be printed again.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t mean to be ignorant, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge in the basketball world that one of Coach K’s nicknames over the years has been “The Rat” just like Roy was known to many in Durham for so long as “Huckleberry Hound.” Also, fans of a certain team 8 miles from Durham routinely spell “Duke” with an alternate spelling. Kind of like the other side refers to the Tarheels as “The Cheats” or “Tarholes”

If that is not allowed here, my apologies and rest assured it won’t be printed again.

no smack/trash talk. That was put in place a while back because the sports forums became a gauntlet. Some folks got their feelings hurt. Others complained about it. Now keep it civil. You may or may not get away with a nudge now and then....depends on what the ref is calling. When the hammer swings....it sings.

there is a sticky that outlines it all. Basically no name calling and no personal attacks.

mans don’t bring up anything to do with UNC strategic systems of winning.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Wake is going to be 13-1 going into the new year. Two acc forfeits padding their record
That is going to upset the ole applecart
COVID issues equal forfeits

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If Keatts wants to keep his job he better start teaching defense...

State SUX
They are impossible to figure- how do you take the #1 team in the nation to OT and lose to wright state in raleigh?
Good news though from the ncaa yesterday. maybe that will spark some energy.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
K has always been nicknamed the “rat” and I always heard Roy called “pig face “ k looks like a rat and Roy always looked like a pig. I sure do miss the pig and will miss the rat soon enough. I wish they could’ve been gone out together. But Roy would’ve had a horrible group for a farewell tour.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
K has always been nicknamed the “rat” and I always heard Roy called “pig face “ k looks like a rat and Roy always looked like a pig. I sure do miss the pig and will miss the rat soon enough. I wish they could’ve been gone out together. But Roy would’ve had a horrible group for a farewell tour.
I have never heard roy called any bad names just ole roy- in a nice or demeaning tone. Learn something every day.
K is like Trump - folks that hate him really hate him. several books written on the subject. I dont think any coach in any sport has had such a negative following.
I suppose duke university will ruin k's farewell tour. In a race to see who can be most scared of covid -duke is determined to win.
Just see their booster policy for students, faculty and staff.
A covid miss is now a forfeit, duke hasnt been hit yet but surely will; and will tag K with potential conference losses,.

Possibly in their zeal to show how "serious" duke takes covid they may cancel like the womens last year. We'll see.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I have never heard roy called any bad names just ole roy- in a nice or demeaning tone. Learn something every day.
K is like Trump - folks that hate him really hate him. several books written on the subject. I dont think any coach in any sport has had such a negative following.
I suppose duke university will ruin k's farewell tour. In a race to see who can be most scared of covid -duke is determined to win.
Just see their booster policy for students, faculty and staff.
A covid miss is now a forfeit, duke hasnt been hit yet but surely will; and will tag K with potential conference losses,.

Possibly in their zeal to show how "serious" duke takes covid they may cancel like the womens last year. We'll see.

People hate him so much because he’s so good. There’s a different kind of hate for him because he has achieved a different kind of success than anyone during his time. As a Carolina fan I hate Duke with a deep passion, but I appreciate coach k. I couldn’t have imagined the past 4 decades without him. The game is taking a serious step down after he’s gone.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
People hate him so much because he’s so good.
No, there is much more to it. Factor in the extreme court side cursing, having his losses expunged to pad his record, etc. Also some of what you said, but certainly not limited to that.