College Basketball 2021-2022

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I missed the game but the "reviews" I see on other boards echo your thoughts. And they are killing individual player's "efforts."
Poor hubie didnt get much of a honeymoon. :)

It’s early……but the defensive effort is just nonexistent much like it has been over the past couple years. The exception is this year the interior defense is pathetic whereas it has been the 3 that we can’t defend in past years. It’s early though and these games mean very little. Can’t get to the final 4 in November. But it does not seem like this team has any great talent to push them over the edge. We’ll see what happens. College basketball is very boring though without having Carolina and Duke close to the top like has been for the past 2 years.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Idk if they will beat Duke or not but they are the most complete team I’ve seen at this juncture of the season in a good while.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That new skinny boy from Gonzaga has a big target on his back. Too much hype to live up to. He’s gonna get everybody’s best shot

Duke should go to #1 now. GOAT does it again.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I asked......because I didn't think the No. 5 team in the country would be a pushover.

They're super talented. If they can get those guys to play smart, they have a chance. Of course, that might curtail them. It's hard to say.
Well if the might zags rolled the # 2 team like they did, If they were indeed better than duke( because of their ranking) I didnt think it looked too good for duke.
I should know by now to never underestimate the GOAT or the new talent WHEN they play up to their potential. :)
Sure hope they show up against OSU.

Here's the entire BS ten/ acc challenge schedule.

GO ACC!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I despise Duke but that was an impressive early season showing I'd only expect them get better
The infamous foot injury will undoubtedly strike. Hell the new hero can’t play a half without leaving for cramps. give the cat some mustard and let’s go.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Virginia is a 1.5 pt under dog tonight at home against Iowa.
ND is a 6,5 pt underdog to Illinois later in the evening as the big/acc challenge starts.
The best coach in the conference needs to at least hold home court .

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
The infamous foot injury will undoubtedly strike. Hell the new hero can’t play a half without leaving for cramps. give the cat some mustard and let’s go.
Would you bet on Dook winning the Natty right now? We have been down this road before season after season with K and Dook. They look like world beaters in November, but then slowly regress/get injured and can't even win the ACC... No one has done less with more talent then Coach K, thats why I have a hard time calling him the GOAT. You could argue Dean Smith did less with more as well, but with the recent number of lottery picks in the past 10 years for Dook, I have to give the edge to K for greatest under achiever.

No doubt this year Dook has some talent, but an injury would be devastating at pretty much any position on the floor. They just don't have depth.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Would you bet on Dook winning the Natty right now? We have been down this road before season after season with K and Dook. They look like world beaters in November, but then slowly regress/get injured and can't even win the ACC... No one has done less with more talent then Coach K, thats why I have a hard time calling him the GOAT. You could argue Dean Smith did less with more as well, but with the recent number of lottery picks in the past 10 years for Dook, I have to give the edge to K for greatest under achiever.

No doubt this year Dook has some talent, but an injury would be devastating at pretty much any position on the floor. They just don't have depth.
We don't even need to resort or rely on opinions. K's record of achievements speaks for itself, and those in the know in the world of college basketball recognize said achievements.

This isn't debatable,.................unless you're a UNC fan.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

there is no argument that dean done less with more than anyone in the history of college basketball and it aint even close.
Unless his pal at georgetown and weber GAVE him two NCs he would have retired as the biggest choker in history. He was- but all that is forgotten.

And I agree with you about duke this year, They have one volatile player who will implode at the wrong time, as I said the foot injuries will come, a prima donna who cramps every night, and they dont make enough basketballs to keep them all happy---- But they are fun to watch and they do have the GOAT still on the bench.
And should be #1 this week. Who else has beaten kentucky and gonzaga?

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
We don't even need to resort or rely on opinions. K's record of achievements speaks for itself, and those in the know in the world of college basketball recognize said achievements.

This isn't debatable,.................unless you're a UNC fan.
What specific achievements speak for themselves? Most of his achievements are based on his longevity. There are many Coaches past and present whose achievements would be comparable if they coached for 46 seasons. I'm not saying he isn't a great Coach, top 5 for sure, but being labeled the GOAT is debatable...and anyone in the know of the college basketball world whether they are a UNC fan or not knows its up for debate.
there is no argument that dean done less with more than anyone in the history of college basketball and it aint even close.
Unless his pal at georgetown and weber GAVE him two NCs he would have retired as the biggest choker in history. He was- but all that is forgotten.
Dean had a total of 21 1st rounders with 30 All Americans.
Coach K has had 41 1st round picks, 28 of those coming in the lottery picks or top 14. Also at Dook he has coached 37 All Americans.

Coach K has had more lottery picks then Dean even had first rounders.

Numbers look like a lot less with more to me. JMO though

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Polls are out, looks like Coach K has yet another number 1 team in the country.

You do have to admit, if he can't win the ACC this year it would be a massive under achievement.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
What specific achievements speak for themselves? Most of his achievements are based on his longevity. There are many Coaches past and present whose achievements would be comparable if they coached for 46 seasons. I'm not saying he isn't a great Coach, top 5 for sure, but being labeled the GOAT is debatable...and anyone in the know of the college basketball world whether they are a UNC fan or not knows its up for debate.

Coach K has had 41 1st round picks, 28 of those coming in the lottery picks or top 14. Also at Dook he has coached 37 All Americans.

dean had those first rounders for at least three seasons-k gets them for one. so there's that. :)
Any objective analysis will show dean to be the biggest bust on potential NCs ever.
And look at the teams that K did win with- hardly NBA high fliers. I mean the running joke used to be_ How many duke players are in the nba? LIke five, then how many unc? Zillions. Talent galore wasted by dean in ch- no debate just fact.
Roy won more with less in less time than dean as well- He was the GOAT-CH. Not dean.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Polls are out, looks like Coach K has yet another number 1 team in the country.

You do have to admit, if he can't win the ACC this year it would be a massive under achievement.
who else deserves it? At this point no one; with kansas kentucky and gonzaga losing last week.
Surely not purdue. Duke would destroy them. Today- maybe not in march or april but right now.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Let's just start with who's won more games than any coach in the history of the game.

You want to pass this off as "longevity". Well, no duh!!! Jesus, man. You don't coach at the highest level for 46 yrs if you're not great.

This forum works when people put aside their homerism. It sucks when people can't.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Let's just start with who's won more games than any coach in the history of the game.

You want to pass this off as "longevity". Well, no duh!!! Jesus, man. You don't coach at the highest level for 46 yrs if you're not great.

This forum works when people put aside their homerism. It sucks when people can't.
Lordy mercy 😞 This forum works when people can have healthy discussions.

Never said he wasn't great, but I can argue that he ain't the greatest.

Want to talk about wins vs longevity look at this:
Coach A has averaged 22.8 wins for his coaching career.
Coach B has averaged 25.8 wins for his coaching career.
Coach C averaged 27.8 wins for his coaching career.

Coach A has coached for 29 seasons.
Coach B has coached for 45 seasons.
Coach C has coached for 33 seasons.

Of course Coach B has the most wins because he has coached the longest. Math is fun.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Also check this out

Coach A has lost 162 games
Coach B has lost 190 games
Coach C has lost 254 games
Coach D has lost 264 games
Coach E (K) has lost 361games

If the supposedly GOAT is all that, how come he has so many more losses then the others? Surely not because of his longevity right? 😏

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lordy mercy 😞 This forum works when people can have healthy discussions.

Never said he wasn't great, but I can argue that he ain't the greatest.

Want to talk about wins vs longevity look at this:
Coach A has averaged 22.8 wins for his coaching career.
Coach B has averaged 25.8 wins for his coaching career.
Coach C averaged 27.8 wins for his coaching career.

Coach A has coached for 29 seasons.
Coach B has coached for 45 seasons.
Coach C has coached for 33 seasons.

Of course Coach B has the most wins because he has coached the longest. Math is fun.
I agree with you. Coach B has almost 250 more wins.

Whoever he is, that's more than anyone else. I'm not sure how greatness is ultimately determined, but....you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone taken seriously in basketball circles who doesn't think that metric is in the top 2 (along with NCs and Final4s).

When people have to search for metrics to discount the accomplishments of others, that tells me a lot about their motives.

FTR.....I didn't go to Duke. I have no ties to the Univ. K is either the greatest college coach.....or, he's second to Wooden (who had it easier, if you asked me, in his era).

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
I agree with you. Coach B has almost 250 more wins.

Whoever he is, that's more than anyone else. I'm not sure how greatness is ultimately determined, but....you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone taken seriously in basketball circles who doesn't think that metric is in the top 2 (along with NCs and Final4s).

When people have to search for metrics to discount the accomplishments of others, that tells me a lot about their motives.

FTR.....I didn't go to Duke. I have no ties to the Univ. K is either the greatest college coach.....or, he's second to Wooden (who had it easier, if you asked me, in his era).

Its all subjective. People search for metrics to gain full perspective, not to discount others accomplishments.
People don't search for metrics because its easier to say 1170 wins or 10 championships.

K has the most wins at 1170 in 46 years
Wooden has the most Championships with 10 in 29 years.
Who is better? Find me someone in a football circle who thinks it Joe Pa.

What I find riveting when having these discussions with people in all types of circles is most folks tend to go with the "soup du jour." Saban and K are widely popular right now, but its really all subjective. To each his own

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
K is a pretty steady coach. He didn’t inherit a program like others in this discussion. K built and maintained a program. Also...for the life of me I haven’t heard anything about that which must not be named when it comes to Duke or K.

CharlesIngalls

Six Pointer
Valiant effort by UVA. Time for me to retire and get ready to catch some slabs on Lake Tillery tomorrow. I firmly believe I'll awake to the ACC in an early 0-2 hole vs the BIG.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Wow….serious shots fired in this thread 😂

I respect everything coach k has done and the longevity he has had. College basketball IMO is the hardest of all sports to win a championship in with having to win 6 games in a row in a sudden death system so any coach who has won 1 or more titles has done what 99% of coaches all time haven’t been able to do, let alone do it 5 times. It is all perspective in how you view success…..John wooden did something that is almost unheard of(10 titles) and because of the man he was, how he ran his program and as conservative he was he will always be the goat in my mind. He coached in a time where you had to win your conference tournament just to get in as well as dean smith did earlier in his career before it went to a 64 team field. Coach K is 2nd and no one else is close to that. They were all great in different ways. Dean was an innovator for the game. Coach k took a nothing program and turned it into one of the top 4 programs of all time. He took a couple teams that never should’ve cut the nets down and got it done. He coached the greatest college basketball player of my lifetime (laetner) and beat the best college basketball team I’ve ever seen(unlv). He’s done a lot. Nobody can argue with his success. Of course he laid some eggs in the tournament but who hasn’t that’s coached for that long? He had some teams that were better than anyone else and didn’t win it all but that happens all the time in March madness. He has put out a ton of pros although there still has never been that dynamic player in the pros to come out of Duke. That’s not his fault though. College basketball is really going downhill with Roy already gone and coach k on the way out. The quality of the elite programs has drastically gone downhill and I fear that both programs might turn into UCLA without these 2 coaches. Carolina already did it once until Roy came along. Think about who you are going to hate as bad as we hate coach k? When the answer to that question is blank, it really takes the fun out of college basketball.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This will probably be another tough night for the acc- They arent favored in many games - duke just a slight favorite to beat osu.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
There are some more considerations to K's resume that you can overlook. Or put them in perspective to make his case as GOAT.
He salvaged the National program. Won more games in that program than any other coach as well- possibly undefeated in his tenure, not sure but he won when he needed to.
When wooden won the ncaa was a geographically based tourney, only three rounds or so- he beat west pansies and got to the final 4 every year.
He had a nice gig getting- big alums to pay his players and he kept them for four years.
Basically if you arent a ucla fan or a K hater no one seriously makes a case that he is better than K. Especially since it is known how dirty wooden's program was.

But I think the perception that duke was useless before K is wrong. They had some final 4 teams and acc championships pre K.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are some more considerations to K's resume that you can overlook. Or put them in perspective to make his case as GOAT.
He salvaged the National program. Won more games in that program than any other coach as well- possibly undefeated in his tenure, not sure but he won when he needed to.
When wooden won the ncaa was a geographically based tourney, only three rounds or so- he beat west pansies and got to the final 4 every year.
He had a nice gig getting- big alums to pay his players and he kept them for four years.
Basically if you arent a ucla fan or a K hater no one seriously makes a case that he is better than K. Especially since it is known how dirty wooden's program was.

But I think the perception that duke was useless before K is wrong. They had some final 4 teams and acc championships pre K.
I turned 57, recently.

You speak of Duke....pre K.

When I was growing up....the rivalry wasn't Duke v UNC. It was UNC v. NCSU.

Duke wasn't a nationally-recognized (for any basketball reasons) collegiate sports name, pre K. He built THAT.