College baseball

JWH15

Six Pointer
“Personal decision” becomes way less personal and private when it begins to affect other people.

Players made a personal choice to play under the authority of the NCAA.
Players made a personal decision to attend NCSU.
They made a personal decision to accept scholarship money worth as much as $200K, to play for their baseball team.
Coach Avent chose to accept a $427K salary.
As such, the university, baseball program, etc, are exceptionally invested in them.

That obligates them to in fact play, and make decisions that will continue to allow them to compete at a high level. That encompasses a lot of things. Some of them are clearly named, like “don’t smoke pot since the NCAA will drug test the team.” Others aren’t specifically named, but clearly understood. Things like, “don’t get hammered the night before the game” or “don’t start a food fight in the cafeteria.”

In this case, the “personal choice” has consequences for all 35 guys on the roster.

The NCAA is a billion dollar cartel. Period. Even the SCOTUS says as much. They don’t really care about player safety, or really much of anything except insuring the continued profitable and efficient operation of said cartel.

Thjs isn’t about science or public health, it’s theater. That’s doubly true since the vaccine became widely available. But so is the TSA, and dealing with either the NCAA or the TSA means you deal with their BS if reaching your goals is important. Want to stand on principle at the security checkpoint? Fine. Hope you don’t miss your flight. Want to stand on principal in front of the NCAA? Fine. Hope you’re ok with how that effects your teammates.

A majority of those players aren't on scholarship, that I can guarantee you, so no they didn't make a personal decision to accept scholarship money.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
A declaration

Whereas agsnchunt hails from the great state of Mississippi.

Whereas agsnchunt has spent many hours with some of the more attractive coeds of the Mississippi State University.

Whereas agsnchunt is a passing fan of Vanderbilt University Baseball and Kumar Rocker, son of the great Tracy Rocker.

Whereas agsnchunt is not necessarily a fan of MSU nor their athletic teams.

Nonetheless, agsnchunt hereby offers kudos to MSU on their first ever National Championship in any sport and for somewhat avenging the wrongs accorded to NCSU by the dishonest den of thieves at the NCAA and for bombing a great college pitcher off the mound and for doing so while the assclown Ron Polk was not the coach at MSU.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
So do you support employers forcing employees to be vaxed?
Generally, no. But if an Oncologist required it of his staff at a chemo clinic I don't have a problem with it. If you're talking about an insurance agency or warehouse, no.
So again I ask, are all of the Vandy players and staff vaccinated and/or were they vaccinated last week? Without having that answer as a definite yes, it sure seems like one of these teams got hosed.

If the ncaa was all about this, they should have been testing everyone once a week. If no state vaccinated players were coming up as positives, then surely some other schools would have had a similar occurrence.
Again, the NCAA is an obsequious group of Pharisees that make Washington Swam creatures look like saints. That's nothing new. COVID didn't change that.
I don't have the answer to how many Vandy players were vaccinated.
But think critically about it. Compare a team that has 8 players that aren't vaccinated, compared to a team that has 2 unvacced players.
Over 10 days, the team with 8 will have had 40 tests. The team with 2 has had 10. If there's a raffle with 100 tickets and 2 winners, how likely is the guy that holds 40 tickets to win?

We are talking about 1600 players not including coaching staffs. Surely more than one team would have some positives.

I don’t think everyone on the team being vaccinated would have mattered. Seems like they really wanted Vandy in the mix.
Why on earth would the NCAA want Vandy, the weak sister of the SEC, in it over NC State?

Guarantee you NCSU has a lot more people that would guarantee eyes and television numbers than Vanderbilt. State fans (I'm talking about their entire athletic program) live in a world where they're convinced that the NCAA has it out for them. What they don't get is that other schools are better at managing the relationship with them than state has been.
A majority of those players aren't on scholarship, that I can guarantee you, so no they didn't make a personal decision to accept scholarship money.
27 of them likely are on half rides, at least. 11.7 full rides/27 players.

JWH15

Six Pointer
Generally, no. But if an Oncologist required it of his staff at a chemo clinic I don't have a problem with it. If you're talking about an insurance agency or warehouse, no.

Again, the NCAA is an obsequious group of Pharisees that make Washington Swam creatures look like saints. That's nothing new. COVID didn't change that.
I don't have the answer to how many Vandy players were vaccinated.
But think critically about it. Compare a team that has 8 players that aren't vaccinated, compared to a team that has 2 unvacced players.
Over 10 days, the team with 8 will have had 40 tests. The team with 2 has had 10. If there's a raffle with 100 tickets and 2 winners, how likely is the guy that holds 40 tickets to win?

Why on earth would the NCAA want Vandy, the weak sister of the SEC, in it over NC State?

Guarantee you NCSU has a lot more people that would guarantee eyes and television numbers than Vanderbilt. State fans (I'm talking about their entire athletic program) live in a world where they're convinced that the NCAA has it out for them. What they don't get is that other schools are better at managing the relationship with them than state has been.

27 of them likely are on half rides, at least. 11.7 full rides/27 players.
Also probably not true, but anyways carry on.