Cold Hunt in Uwharrie

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Went squirrel hunting most of the afternoon in the Birkhead Mountains Wilderness of Uwharrie National Forest today. It was a cold hunt with the wind and I didn't see any squirrels, but I enjoyed getting out there and exploring new places. Met a group of 3 hikers on the trail I took into the forest, who were very nice and wished me luck, and saw another hiking couple on my way out. Most of the leaves are off the trees now. The creeks were pretty. It's definitely a beautiful area for hikers and hunters.

Thought I'd share a couple pictures of the woods and my freezing cold face. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20201201_150809376.jpg
    IMG_20201201_150809376.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20201201_150830065_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201201_150830065_HDR.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20201201_150845316.jpg
    IMG_20201201_150845316.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 71

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll give you a little hint, those big woods aren't the place you want to be once the leaves are off. At the least hunt the edges next to thick cover, squirrels know they are vulnerable to all avian predators once exposed to no leaf cover. Look for low land (creek and river bottoms) with vine covered trees and with mast bearing trees close by. They will be foraging where those mast bearing trees have dropped yet feel more comfortable in the usual thicker cover in the low lying areas plus the trees in these areas usually are vine covered which they love. And usually these areas are more sheltered during windy days.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I'll give you a little hint, those big woods aren't the place you want to be once the leaves are off. At the least hunt the edges next to thick cover, squirrels know they are vulnerable to all avian predators once exposed to no leaf cover. Look for low land (creek and river bottoms) with vine covered trees and with mast bearing trees close by. They will be foraging where those mast bearing trees have dropped yet feel more comfortable in the usual thicker cover in the low lying areas plus the trees in these areas usually are vine covered which they love. And usually these areas are more sheltered during windy days.

Yep, I hunt a bottom with a vine that they use like a highway

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
And when the day is as cold as today, they may come out in the middle of the day...I've never had much luck on cold and windy days...You are real close to my favorite spot on High Pines Church Road, have hunted that for years...

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Do what nccatfisher said also don't overlook laurel areas that are just semi thick they like them and there are usually plenty red oak acorns left on ground that grow right in in that laurel same with poplar thickets on edge hardwoods can be productive basically find edge habitat. Them big open hardwoods are pretty to look at but not best for winter hunting

Lee

Six Pointer
And when the day is as cold as today, they may come out in the middle of the day...I've never had much luck on cold and windy days...You are real close to my favorite spot on High Pines Church Road, have hunted that for years...
I like to walk into Camp 3 from High Pine Church Road and fill up a couple of water bottles from the spring there. If hiking is the plan I head north to Coolers Knob. If I'm hunting I follow Hannah's Creek south and keep to the creek bed. That keeps me away from the hiking trails and in the valley.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I like to walk into Camp 3 from High Pine Church Road and fill up a couple of water bottles from the spring there. If hiking is the plan I head north to Coolers Knob. If I'm hunting I follow Hannah's Creek south and keep to the creek bed. That keeps me away from the hiking trails and in the valley.

I hiked the Birkhead Mountain Trail from Tot Hill Farm Trailhead down to the Camp 3 Trail today. Almost made it to Camp 3, but it was starting to get late, so I headed back the way I came. Found squirrels around windfalls/blowdowns and such, but never got a good shot. The hike up Coolers Knob kicked my butt, but it was so worth it!

I'll have to try Hannah's Creek next time. Thinking of trying to camp around there somewhere so I'll have more time to hunt. Thank you for your input, @Lee!

Attachments

• IMG_20201203_154714374_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201203_154714374_HDR.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201203_150913541.jpg
    IMG_20201203_150913541.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 33

Lee

Six Pointer
All the windfalls and blow downs you hiked by/through were cut by crosscut saws. Since Birkhead is a designated wilderness area chainsaws aren't allowed. A team from Asheville and local volunteers did the work.

Lee

Six Pointer
Camp Three is a very popular camping area on the weekends. It's rare to have it to yourself on Friday or Saturday night. The spring is a dependable year round water source and as you've seen firewood is plentiful. The old mining pits are cool too.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
Birkhead is a cool place to hike. Never did much hunting out there but have put in some miles out there. Found an old graveyard out there which was cool but also kind of creepy. Definitely a fun place to explore and I need to get back out that way soon.