Cobia Techniques

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Any tips on specifically targeting cobia? I've only caught one trolling for kings but I want to really get after them around Lookout in a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Get up high and look for them on the surface. Find schools of bait and look around the edges. If they are not on top drop a jig or dead bait though the school to the bottom.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
If you wait a few weeks you might miss the big push. They’re way north in big numbers right now.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Check out the inshore wrecks if you can push your way into them. Have a live eel and a ling jig rigged and ready at all times. I've never had a ling tower on my boat so I always was an opportunity ling fisherman and caught plenty while king fishing or inshore wreck fishing and having one appear at the boat.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Which sucks being the season just opened up this week. Of course like everything else hunting and fishing the weather hardly every does us any favors.

I’m just the messenger lol. A buddy caught 18 yesterday on his boat. Several other boats catching them like crazy. Another friend got his first from the beach yesterday, and know of 3-4 more beached. They’re here. Hurry up and get some while the gettings good!

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
I’m just the messenger lol. A buddy caught 18 yesterday on his boat. Several other boats catching them like crazy. Another friend got his first from the beach yesterday, and know of 3-4 more beached. They’re here. Hurry up and get some while the gettings good!

I guess thats why they give us sick days to use at work. Lol.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer

23mako

Ten Pointer
Barden Inlet is a popular place to bottom fish for cobia at Cape Lookout. Bottom fishing there is pretty simple. Use a fish finder rig with a slider for your weight so you can easily swap weights if needed. Attach a leader with 80 pound mono and snell to a hook. I use circle hooks and mash the barbs down because you will likely also catch lots of rays, sharks, etc in that area. It makes removing the hook easier. Have a bucktail rod rigged as well as some times the cobia will swim up to your boat.

If you strike out bottom fishing, rig up some bucktails as others have said above and go looking for some. Focus around schools of menhaden. Be considerate of other boats if you do this and try not to run over the school. Most people tip the bucktails with a curlytail of some sort or snag a menhaden and let it fall through the school.