Coach K retiring...

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, I wish Roy had waited another year and they could’ve gone out together. Kinda funny that brad stevens accepted a different role at Boston on the same day. I’m sure he is probably going to be the successor. Which is a little surprising to me because I thought it would be John scheyer.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
middle daughter sent that same news to me,,, told her she must have meant to send to her mom,,, since her dad didn't give a hoot,,,

carry on,,,,,

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

Glad it's Scheyer taking over.
Now we get to debate who's better Scheyer or Hubert. :)
Both replacing the GOAT at their schools.
Big shoes indeed.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

Big shoes indeed.

I don't think we do. Anyone that questions the abilities of said coaches gets the ban hammer. :wave:

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Big shoes indeed.

I will take the guy that had an NBA career.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I personally think they both made a mistake.

at least UNC chose someone with a winning record against duke, Scheyer was 3-5 against UNC as a player.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah but scheyer won a NC as a player
IMO he’s brad stevensish.
If he’s good enough for K he’s ok by me
We will see. 😎

I think he will be a great coach…..Duke will just have to be patient with him just like unc with Hubert.

as A side note though he never should’ve been a national champion…..that is the worst team that has ever cut down the nets in my lifetime. My hat was off to coach k that year, he got a wet dream of a draw in that tournament and coached his team to perfection on their run.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
as A side note though he never should’ve been a national champion…..that is the worst team that has ever cut down the nets in my lifetime. My hat was off to coach k that year, he got a wet dream of a draw in that tournament and coached his team to perfection on their run.
If a wet dream draw is having to beat 3 top 10 teams plus another ranked team, with 2 road games...then yeah, that was a great draw:rolleyes:

People forget how good that Duke team really was. They weren’t flashy, but they were top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, along with top 15 in boards. That’s the opposite of ‘worst’, by any objective measure.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
If a wet dream draw is having to beat 3 top 10 teams plus another ranked team, with 2 road games...then yeah, that was a great draw:rolleyes:

People forget how good that Duke team really was. They weren’t flashy, but they were top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency, along with top 15 in boards. That’s the opposite of ‘worst’, by any objective measure.

Arkansas pine bluff, cal, Baylor, West Virginia, and butler????? That is a garbage line all day long. Duke tied with Maryland for the acc regular season. The only reason their record was as good as it was that year is because everyone in the acc was terrible. Carolina didn’t make the tournament. They avoided all of the major teams in the tournament like an undefeated Kentucky team. No Kansas, no UK, no uconn, no Syracuse, no msu…..every player on the team except curry went overseas and curry spent time overseas before finally making it to the league. Scheyer, singlet, Nolan smith, lance thomas, Brian zoubek……all were very hard players. They hustled their rear ends off which is why they had so much success. But they were not a 1 seed or even close to it. They were gifted a 1 seed, got to play in the south bracket and only ran into one really good player (Gordon Hayward). And I am not one to get all over the officials but if there hadn’t been about 13 really awful one side calls on the championship game there would’ve been a cinderella cutting the nets down. I remember zoubek throwing Sheldon Mack to the floor on a loose ball and they called the foul on Mack and it was a play where butler scored to take the lead. They erased the points called an offensive foul on Mack and Duke got to shoot free throws. Worst officiated championship game I’ve ever seen. That team was handed a title. None of the rest of dukes championship runs were given, they earned it against really good teams with really good players. But such is life. It’s nice when your team gets a good draw with good matchups and gets all the breaks and calls. That was Duke summed up in a nutshell that year.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
A unc fan claiming Duke got an easy draw and a call? There’s a shocker:rolleyes:😂 You still salty over that 30 point beat down in derm that year?🤡

I’ve stated many times on here that I’m not a typical ignorant unc fan. I call it the way it is. I am well aware that the blue bloods get the calls and Carolina gets more than their fair share of calls. That game wasn’t just favored in how it was called. It was one sided. Butler would’ve won that game going away if it had been called correctly but such is life when a small school plays a blue blood.

And no, not salty. Because Carolina swept Duke last year and Carolina has given Duke their fair share of beat downs.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I personally think they both made a mistake.

at least UNC chose someone with a winning record against duke, Scheyer was 3-5 against UNC as a player.
He's 74...maybe he just doesn't want to be doing it anymore. Roy was...72? Same type of thing.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He's 74...maybe he just doesn't want to be doing it anymore. Roy was...72? Same type of thing.

i mean the schools replacement choices, not the coaches choices to retire. I 100% agree with their decisions to retire, college basketball currently is a joke. A coach can’t put any pressure on making a guy earn his way because he will just cry about it and get picked up by a lower tier team that won’t push him.

These guys became some of the best ever by building programs around system players. Adopting one and done killed them. Coach K won way less in terms of titles using the one and done system while housing much greater talent. The same goes for Roy, who benefited from recruiting problems associated with the scandal.

Teams that are consistently winning are doing so with mid-level to upper talent that are Juniors/Seniors and maybe supported by a stud freshman. These reload teams (Kansas, Kentucky, UNC (recently) and Duke) have won nothing when adjusted for the talent they’ve had.

UNC during the scandal, Villanova, UVA and most recently Baylor have been winning with older system guys, exactly the way Duke used to win.

Roy and K are leaving, but they’re also becoming irrelevant in the new college basketball in terms of success when it matters. The ACC is Tony Bennett country.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
i mean the schools replacement choices, not the coaches choices to retire. I 100% agree with their decisions to retire, college basketball currently is a joke. A coach can’t put any pressure on making a guy earn his way because he will just cry about it and get picked up by a lower tier team that won’t push him.

These guys became some of the best ever by building programs around system players. Adopting one and done killed them. Coach K won way less in terms of titles using the one and done system while housing much greater talent. The same goes for Roy, who benefited from recruiting problems associated with the scandal.

Teams that are consistently winning are doing so with mid-level to upper talent that are Juniors/Seniors and maybe supported by a stud freshman. These reload teams (Kansas, Kentucky, UNC (recently) and Duke) have won nothing when adjusted for the talent they’ve had.

UNC during the scandal, Villanova, UVA and most recently Baylor have been winning with older system guys, exactly the way Duke used to win.

Roy and K are leaving, but they’re also becoming irrelevant in the new college basketball in terms of success when it matters. The ACC is Tony Bennett country.

Most accurate post I’ve seen on this topic lately.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Arkansas pine bluff, cal, Baylor, West Virginia, and butler????? That is a garbage line all day long. Duke tied with Maryland for the acc regular season. The only reason their record was as good as it was that year is because everyone in the acc was terrible. Carolina didn’t make the tournament. They avoided all of the major teams in the tournament like an undefeated Kentucky team. No Kansas, no UK, no uconn, no Syracuse, no msu…..every player on the team except curry went overseas and curry spent time overseas before finally making it to the league. Scheyer, singlet, Nolan smith, lance thomas, Brian zoubek……all were very hard players. They hustled their rear ends off which is why they had so much success. But they were not a 1 seed or even close to it. They were gifted a 1 seed, got to play in the south bracket and only ran into one really good player (Gordon Hayward). And I am not one to get all over the officials but if there hadn’t been about 13 really awful one side calls on the championship game there would’ve been a cinderella cutting the nets down. I remember zoubek throwing Sheldon Mack to the floor on a loose ball and they called the foul on Mack and it was a play where butler scored to take the lead. They erased the points called an offensive foul on Mack and Duke got to shoot free throws. Worst officiated championship game I’ve ever seen. That team was handed a title. None of the rest of dukes championship runs were given, they earned it against really good teams with really good players. But such is life. It’s nice when your team gets a good draw with good matchups and gets all the breaks and calls. That was Duke summed up in a nutshell that year.

you sure about that, Clark? Aside from their #1 offense and #5 defense, they put up a great record against the 4th best SOS. Also, 6 guys from that team played 2 or more years in the NBA...so they had talent. Scheyer may have been a 6th, had he not hurt his eye in an NBA summer league game (retina and optic nerve)

I think 4 of those 6 wins in the tourney came against conference champions, too.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
you sure about that, Clark? Aside from their #1 offense and #5 defense, they put up a great record against the 4th best SOS. Also, 5 guys from that team played 2 or more years in the NBA...so they had talent. Scheyer may have been a 6th, had he not hurt his eye in an NBA summer league game (retina and optic nerve)

I think 4 of those 6 wins in the tourney came against conference champions, too.

There are at least 32 tournament champions in every tournament so that argument is weak. I watched every single game they played that season. Calling Arkansas pine bluff, WV, and cal a conference champion does not make them a strong candidate for a “hard draw” you put any of those players besides scheyer on any other championship Duke team and they are nothing but bench players.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I ran a simulation of 2010 Duke vs 2017 UNC (another natl champ) on a neutral court 10 times at WhatIfSports and Duke’s record in that series matchup was 8-2

This Duke team was talented. Per Kenpom, they were the best team in 2010, and their core went on to be a top team in 2011, too.

2010 Duke:
Natl Champion
Conference Champion
NIT Season Tip-Off Champion (Connecticut)
82-50
6 players with multi-year NBA careers (incredible)
Another player played pro ball oversees
4 players would end up earning All American honors in their college careers
GOAT coach

Scheyer was a huge part of their success, and I wish him well.

Last edited:

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
I ran a simulation of 2010 Duke vs 2017 UNC (another natl champ) on a neutral court 10 times at WhatIfSports and Duke’s record in that series matchup was 8-2

This Duke team was talented. Per Kenpom, they were the best team in 2010, and their core went on to be a top team in 2011, too.

2010 Duke:
Natl Champion
Conference Champion
NIT Season Tip-Off Champion (Connecticut)
82-50
6 players with multi-year NBA careers (incredible)
Another player played pro ball oversees
4 players would end up earning All American honors in their college careers
GOAT coach

Scheyer was a huge part of their success, and I wish him well.

UConn finished 18-16 that year and in the bottom half of the big East. They were absolutely horrible.

singler, Nolan smith, zoubek, scheyer, Thomas……all of them either did not play on the pros, ended up overseas or didn’t make it in the pros. One of the ‘plumless’ bros has had a good career in the pros and the other overseas but neither of those were significant in 2010. Neither hardly even played in the title game.

Their coach and their gift draw, the acc being down, weak preconference schedule, and horrible officiating in the tournament are the reasons they broke 30 wins that year.

and I could care less about simulations on “what if” websites. The 2017 Tar Heels were head and shoulders above the 2010 Duke squad at every single position and especially on the bench. Not a single Duke player scored a point off the bench or played more than 5 minutes in that title game. Let’s compare

Joel Berry - Nolan Smith
Justin Jackson - John scheyer
Theo Pinson - Kyle Singler
Meeks - Lance Thomas
Isaiah Hicks - Brian Zoubek

Pinson and Singler are the only 2 that can compare but Pinson guarding Singler would be a joke all day long the way Pinson defended and being much more athletic. Justin Jackson could get to the hole at ease while scheyer was only a shooter. Joel Berry is one of the best gamers of the last 10 years. I did like Nolan smith though, he was a hustler. And Zoubek and lance Thomas against Carolinas Big guys would’ve been a laugh. I would love to see it. And let’s look at Carolinas draw that year. They earned it playing ALL of the best teams in the tournament. Compare their draw to dukes 2010 draw. It’s not even in the same universe. But, I would be happy if Carolina got a good draw year in and year out because a lot of years the title team gets the right road where they match up well. It’s hard to win 6 in a row.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Lance Thomas has played in the NBA for 8+ years

Facts > Feelings

I can see this means a lot to you. And I know that it’s tough to convince emotional people against their feelings.

I don’t have a dog in the fight bc I went to ncsu and unc…

You can have the win…the 35-5 natl champions with 6 multi-year nba players and 4 all-americans were no good

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Lance Thomas has spent most of his career in the d-league jumping in and out from d-league to the nba. 2 years overseas. And currently playing nowhere. That does not translate into an 8+ Year nba career. He has done more than a lot of players that had more talent than him though. I’m not knocking him or anyone on that team. The argument was only that it was the worst team I’ve ever seen be a 1 seed or win a title and not just because it was Duke. All the other Duke title teams were without a doubt one of the best teams in their respective years and many years they were the best team and didn’t win.