C'mon already...

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That regular gang of hens & poults behind the house moved off in mid October, about the time the leaves started coming off the trees, same as last year & every year before that. They'll show up again about the time the leaves start budding out, just like they years before. Only they know why.

I don't scout turkeys during deer season for the same reason I don't want deer hunters bumping around the woods during turkey season. The birds are probably going to be in a different place come Spring anyway.

I carry binoculars in the truck because I'm always looking for birds or someplace they like to use.

Jim

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
they should make a camera that will imitate the sound of a yelp yelp yelp yelper caller. you know the ones on tv shows calling while hid in a blind.
That would keep the turkeys skeeered of the corn piles. :)
Count your blessings sky hawk- I am so envious of those that have turkeys to watch during deer season.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I love to hunt them in the spring, but they sure are pests all deer season. They are fearless in the fall.

Turkeys are significantly harder to kill in the fall than during spring gobbler season, in my experience. But I've only hunted them seriously in the fall for the last 10 or 12 years, and never get to scout since they are out of state and just hope to be able to locate some. Heard some while deer hunting opening day in NC and called them up and could have killed one - very unlike the typical response when I'm actually hunting them in the fall. They tend to stay well away and call, demanded you come to them, then walk away - unless I find a solo bird that wants company. And even then they play hard to get usually. It's an exception to the general rule to have one come in so willingly like a spring gobbler does.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Getting a new Albert Paul box for Christmas.
On the same day last week I had three different local folks discuss their turkey sightings. They'll all let me hunt.
Yeah- I'm ready. :)
His box has travelled in my vest for years. What wood combo did you go with?

You inspired me to give Marlin Watkins a call yesterday. I've got another one of his on the way for my Christmas present. The last one I got from him I did not realize it was his personal carry call last spring. He signed his kill dates in it. I thought he was just sending me the same wood combo. It should probably stay on a shelf but it is going in the woods.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
His box has travelled in my vest for years. What wood combo did you go with?

You inspired me to give Marlin Watkins a call yesterday. I've got another one of his on the way for my Christmas present. The last one I got from him I did not realize it was his personal carry call last spring. He signed his kill dates in it. I thought he was just sending me the same wood combo. It should probably stay on a shelf but it is going in the woods.
i went with the same wood as I had on the first call I was gifted many moons ago. It was destroyed when a youth hunter laid it down and I backed over it, (he is now my finest landowner/farmer connection in SC) and I somehow cracked the box on the back up last spring.
It's a walnut paddle with a red cedar box. When I spoke to Mrs. Paul she was surprised that that combo wasn't /isn't available on their web site.
It's just a sentimental thing, I hear a zillion boxes that sound as well or better.
I do have some of his calls that are different wood that are still encased in the plastic wrap he sends them in. Included in that is the redo of the first one that was crushed. Amazingly the paddle remained intact. I sent it back to him and he put a new box with it. Mr. Paul is a fine man to work with.

Loong answer Huh :) Sorry about that I cant help it when the conversation is Turkey related.

Edited to correctly identify wood- walnut not poplar. I have no idea where that came from.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Turkeys are significantly harder to kill in the fall than during spring gobbler season, in my experience. But I've only hunted them seriously in the fall for the last 10 or 12 years, and never get to scout since they are out of state and just hope to be able to locate some. Heard some while deer hunting opening day in NC and called them up and could have killed one - very unlike the typical response when I'm actually hunting them in the fall. They tend to stay well away and call, demanded you come to them, then walk away - unless I find a solo bird that wants company. And even then they play hard to get usually. It's an exception to the general rule to have one come in so willingly like a spring gobbler does.

I have no doubt there they are harder to call in, but I have walked up on them several times within shotgun range and could have just shot them walking across a logging road. I’ve waved my orange hat and practically done jumping jacks in the stand and they just look at me and ask, “what’s got in to you?” In the spring they would turn inside out.

If I was hunting them in the fall, I’d just stalk them.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer

i went with the same wood as I had on the first call I was gifted many moons ago. It was destroyed when a youth hunter laid it down and I backed over it, (he is now my finest landowner/farmer connection in SC) and I somehow cracked the box on the back up last spring.
It's a poplar paddle with a red cedar box. When I spoke to Mrs. Paul she was surprised that that combo wasn't /isn't available on their web site.
It's just a sentimental thing, I hear a zillion boxes that sound as well or better.
I do have some of his calls that are different wood that are still encased in the plastic wrap he sends them in. Included in that is the redo of the first one that was crushed. Amazingly the paddle remained intact. I sent it back to him and he put a new box with it.

I love turkey call stories, and those 2 are pretty awesome. 2 legend builders to boot.

I would love to dog hunt fall turkey with Mr Watkins just one time....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have no doubt there they are harder to call in, but I have walked up on them several times within shotgun range and could have just shot them walking across a logging road. I’ve waved my orange hat and practically done jumping jacks in the stand and they just look at me and ask, “what’s got in to you?” In the spring they would turn inside out.

If I was hunting them in the fall, I’d just stalk them.
Most your fall turkeys is Va and West va are killed by deer hunters or small game hunters rifles legal in both. In Va where I'm from have lot overlap with muzzloader deer and turkey in at same time