Clover ?

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
My clover plot is 3 years old, I typically mow before it starts to bloom. Due to various reasons, I haven’t had the time. I’ve attached a picture from yest. What are ya’lls thoughts on mowing at this point? Should I mow it 4-6” shorter and remove the blooms, or let them dry, then set and mow? I’m leaning towards mowing today with rain in the forecast, but wanted an opinion from someone with experience.5A6F5047-8270-4695-9F29-00867AA51FDA.jpeg

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had been doing what you have been doing. A couple of months ago I read somewhere that a biologist was recommending against it. I haven’t mowed mine yet. If you are going to mow, I think buckshooter’s recommendation is a good one.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
clover is not alfalfa and does not get tough like alfalfa. If you mow it you will stimulate new growth but you'll also take a 2 tons to the acre crop and instantly reduce it to 500lbs to the acre of forage.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
depends on the type of clover. Some white clovers reseed as their propagation and some send out stolons to reproduce, some do both. On the one's that send out the stolons it's best to let them run and not cut them if you want to thicken the plot. Once it's thick enough then cut it back. The one's that seed out need cutting to make the plant bushier later in the year.
It's not gonna hurt either way at this point, all cutting can do it help if the deer aren't keeping it mowed down.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
No opnion on mowing but thats a pretty plot you have.
I assume thats here in Halifax?

P.S. bust that coyote! 😛

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer

P.S. bust that coyote! 😛

Thanks and it’s Halifax. I’m trying. Must have young ones, has been on camera the last few days roaming during daytime.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer

P.S. bust that coyote! 😛
Here is what the plot looked like 3 years ago, and after mowing yest.

Attachments

• C08B51BF-1609-4DD8-803B-721CADFD9E6E.jpeg
    C08B51BF-1609-4DD8-803B-721CADFD9E6E.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 30
  • D9CE2524-4DD7-4513-A863-41221F395C1A.jpeg
    D9CE2524-4DD7-4513-A863-41221F395C1A.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 29