Clover plots, Feeding Pressure, and Frost Seeding

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
This was my first year trying clover. I made two kill plots in September with Whitetail Institute Clover and honestly couldn't be happier with how they turned out. I got good rain right after I planted and the clover grew fast and got some good size to it before the deer started pounding it.

Now since the cooler weather has moved in the deer have mowed the clover down hard. The clover in both of my kill plots are only about an inch high at best. The kill plots are small but they are as big as I could make them at the time, I plan on stretching them out a little (as much as I can) this spring to help with the pressure.

How well can I expect this to hold up over the winter?

Also since this is my first time with clover, I know nothing about frost seeding this spring. Can someone explain the process to me? I get that the frost provides moister, but other than that I don't know much about the steps taken or exactly when it needs to done.

thank you!

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Plots planted in September probably won't have the crowns established enough to make it through winter without damage, you'll need to frost seed in or about February to get another crop started for next season. The frozen ground opens up micro cracks that causes decent soil contact and when it warms up a bit those cracks seal the tiny seeds up fairly well. You won't get the same germination rate as if the seed was covered, but you don't mess up any crowns/roots that may still be viable from your current plot. Figure your seed rate a bit heavier than you would if you were simply overseeding into a soft bed.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I️ may be mistaken but I️ believe one of the primary benefits of frost seeding is the the seed gets worked into the ground. When the ground freezes up the seed falls down into the little cracks and the gets covered when the ground melts

Supposed to be a good way to put fompete the weeds i believe bc I️t comes up as soon as conditions are perfect but lays dormant until then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Plots planted in September probably won't have the crowns established enough to make it through winter without damage, you'll need to frost seed in or about February to get another crop started for next season. The frozen ground opens up micro cracks that causes decent soil contact and when it warms up a bit those cracks seal the tiny seeds up fairly well. You won't get the same germination rate as if the seed was covered, but you don't mess up any crowns/roots that may still be viable from your current plot. Figure your seed rate a bit heavier than you would if you were simply overseeding into a soft bed.

Great info thank you Eric. This may be a dumb question but when I frost seed am I suppose to seed it while there is frost on the ground, or right before a frost or does it matter?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
as long as the ground is frozen it really doesn't matter, it can be frost, snow or rain .