Clear the Air

wfdavis50

Six Pointer
I would like to clear the air about some confuson about getting or shoting my first deer. I started to hunt last year. Before that I never hunted before. I did have a friend of mine take me out on his leas early on in the the season of 2017. I did shot a spike buck. To this day and time I have not shot anything yet this season 2018. I have received a lot of good info here on the forum. I have tried to most of the info to use while I'm hunting. Some of the info I not sure to to put into play while in the woods. I'm not a liar and don't appreciate being called one. I do appreciate the offer of going hunt with other from the group and would gladly take the chance to go with anyone even if it's to learn from. I do have a couple of question that would like to ask. I also know I would get different answers. So just to clear the air yes I have shot one deer in my life and no I have not shot one yet but the season is not over with

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It takes lots of us a good bit of time to work into the hunting thing. Having a great place to hunt sure makes things much easier but failing to connect on a deer when you hunt on land that doesn't offer great hunting is not a reflection on effort. I think many of us hunt well enough to take huge bucks but the places most hunters in NC have to hunt simply can't offer a huge buck. Sometimes we misunderstand a post. The internet doesn't offer inflection to a comment or subtle meanings that face to face comments have. Don't sweat it too much if someone comments in a way that maybe they would not if they understood the post better. Misunderstandings is just a part of the medium. I'm glad you are here with your enthusiasm and questions are very welcome.... always. Our season is winding down but it's not over till it's over. Good luck to you in these last few days.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you hang out here and you'll have some negatives come your way.
had you wrote this a week or so ago there would have been no issues.
don't overthink the deer stuff.
you cant replicate others success if you don't have their situations in terms of time, places to hunt and money.
it's a slam dunk if those circumstances are met but a PITA if you have to do it with the masses on public as a beginner.

Good Luck to You.

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
#1 you really cant let anything that's said online really effect you in a negitive way,turn it into motivation to be a better hunter.
#2 It's all marked up to confusion on your wording in your posts sometimes,, a ton of guys on here are very literal and serious about hunting and ethics and are great guys but I did see the majority apologies for the confusion.
#3 read,study,talk educate yourself on hunting and deer,,theres endless amounts of learning to be done online and youtube this site and with people, stay positive and keep at it, good luck!

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went back and read the thread that seems to have been the issue, and it just seems like a simple case of misunderstanding. Most folks on this Forum sincerely want to help and share advice, especially when a new hunter reaches out; after all, we need more people interested in the outdoor sports.

Like anything else in life, if deer hunting was easy it wouldn't be a challenge and would quickly become boring. There will always be someone who's shot more/bigger/impressive deer than we have. A big buck is only one measure of success - simply enjoying the hunting experience is success in and of itself.

bsjk

Button Buck
Don’t sweat not killing a deer yet this season, that’s why it’s called deer hunting , not deer shooting