Cleaning out Bluebird boxes today…Flying Squirrel had moved into one.

lasttombstone

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang Bill. If you had know and called I would have brought you another bluebird box so the squirrel could have kept her home. I've got 2 I haven't put out yet. Pick them up at the credit union for $10. Was so wet I didn't get to my boxes and a bird has already nested and laid eggs.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang Bill. If you had know and called I would have brought you another bluebird box so the squirrel could have kept her home. I've got 2 I haven't put out yet. Pick them up at the credit union for $10. Was so wet I didn't get to my boxes and a bird has already nested and laid eggs.
LOL...Thanks, but I trap / killed a whole family of them that got in under the house last year...was going to kill this one with a pellet pistol but neighbors were out walking around

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you get another one around and can get it in a box give me a call. Would love to have some in the woods around here.
If it hadn't caught me by surprise, one simple way would have been to back off, get a sack about the size of a pillow case, drape it over the box and scare it into jumping out...

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Interesting, can't say I've ever seen flying squirrels around our place yet......
Had a family of 6 under the house last year...running back and forth through the underfloor insulation, knocked a lot of it down, made a real mess before I discovered them.

Had to get rid of them so I got a few of those super extra large mouse traps, baited them with peanut butter which I learned they love, and caught what appeared to be 2 adults and 4 yearlings in a week...left the traps out for a couple more weeks but nothing else...so I was surprised to find this one...and a good sized one at that.

Maybe I should close the BB box back and see if it'll return, then live catch it...

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't seen a flying squirrel in 30 years. Use to see some on Ft Bragg in one area. Seen some in Deep Run, NC many moons ago.

Blackwater

Ten Pointer
Had to move one of my boxes yesterday as the power company had left me a note that they were to be replacing the power pole it has been attached to for ten or more years. Went to clean out another and it was full up to the hole with plant material and all manner of detritus, plastic, duck and crow feathers, bluejay feathers and when I went to pry out the block of material a female English sparrow exploded out from the cavity and about startled me off my step stool. She hadn't laid yet but I'm sure was within days of laying a batch so now I have a rock in the hole which will be removed as soon as I'm sure she has found other digs.
My neighbor, ignorant shit that he is, is so desperate to attract my bluebirds that he has hung at least a dozen nest boxes around his smallish yard which only serve to attract nesting English sparrows and they make it difficult for the bluebirds to nest unmolested as well as the amount of my bird feed which they consume. I've tried to educate him to the fact that he's making it difficult to attract bluebirds with so many competing sparrows but I might as well be talking to a rock.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had a family of 6 under the house last year...running back and forth through the underfloor insulation, knocked a lot of it down, made a real mess before I discovered them.

Had to get rid of them so I got a few of those super extra large mouse traps, baited them with peanut butter which I learned they love, and caught what appeared to be 2 adults and 4 yearlings in a week...left the traps out for a couple more weeks but nothing else...so I was surprised to find this one...and a good sized one at that.
I used to catch them nuisance trapping. Rat traps like you described work well, but we would screw them down if we thought gray squirrels were also present. I've never found them in a crawl space though - always in the attic.

They are some cool critters. Loose skin, flat tail, very soft fur, and huge testicles for their size.

Blackwater

Ten Pointer
Not to high jack but how do y'all keep those other birds out of your boxes.i only have one but those sparrows are a problem.
The English sparrows will usually start nesting in February, the bluebirds in late March/early April so I just plug the hole until the sparrows have built nests elsewhere and open them up when the bluebirds start checking out the boxes. It's a gamble but works more times than not. Once the bluebirds nest the first time they'll be pretty protective of the box for the rest of the summer. They normally nest three times per season so as soon as the young fledge clean out the box and usually within a couple of weeks (sometimes within days) they'll be building back for another go round. If the sparrows get too aggressive you might have to break out the pellet gun 'cause they can get pretty vicious. I've had them invade an occupied nest, kill the female bluebird and shove her out the hole before packing it full of material and laying.

ncscrubmaster

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the info. I will evict the sparrows and plug it. I saw the bluebirds the other day fighting with the sparrows. I also had a dead bluebird in my box at the end of last year now i might know what happened.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the info. I will evict the sparrows and plug it. I saw the bluebirds the other day fighting with the sparrows. I also had a dead bluebird in my box at the end of last year now i might know what happened.
Wrens will kill them too by pecking through their skulls competing for their nests

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks Eric. I cleaned it out and stuffed a plastic bag in the hole. They were sitting on the roof of the house and looked mad.
mine are usually full of chickadees and titmouse before the bluebirds get a chance at them, but I like those little critters and thankfully we don't have any invasive sparrows that I've ever seen at home. We have all the native species but I've never seen one use a bluebird box.

Blackwater

Ten Pointer
Wrens will kill them too by pecking through their skulls competing for their nests
I keep the wrens away by building nest boxes for them and mounting them under the eave of my shop and under our bay window. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, they'll raise in a large can on it's side or a bushel basket but I just construct a rectangular box about 6" wide, 4" deep and 9" long with the back closed and the front open, point it away from wind driven rain (Southeast facing is best) and they'll find it. Whatever they nest in they'll fill up with leaves and other material

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I keep the wrens away by building nest boxes for them and mounting them under the eave of my shop and under our bay window. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, they'll raise in a large can on it's side or a bushel basket but I just construct a rectangular box about 6" wide, 4" deep and 9" long with the back closed and the front open, point it away from wind driven rain (Southeast facing is best) and they'll find it. Whatever they nest in they'll fill up with leaves and other material
They raise under the lid of our home propane tank every year. I usually find them in old flower pots, boots and like you say, just about anything.

DuckyDave

Four Pointer
I had 2 flying squirrels as pets when I was a kid. Got them from my great uncle, his were so tame they spent most days sleeping in his shirt breast pocket. They stayed awake all night running around in their cage

DuckyDave

Four Pointer
Watched some gliding tree to tree bowhunting one time. Freaked me out at first, didn't recognize what they were. Cool how they climb up one tree then jump to land at base of another tree, then repeat the process.

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
The pest control guy was here last week doing our quarterly pest control. He was telling me about a house he had done earlier that day. He said he could smell a strong urine odor and saw a stain on the ceiling. He said he told the owner that he had flying squirrels or bats or both in his attic. The owner told him no way, there is no such a thing as a flying squirrel. He said he told him okay, what ever, after all he was a transplant to the mountains and they are never wrong;) Flying squirrels work the graveyard shift so that's why you don't see them much.

BigBow

Six Pointer
The Bluebirds built a nest and laid 2 eggs last week. Darn English Sparrows have already taken over and added loose feathers and such to the existing nest and have broken the bluebird eggs.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My buddy’s grandpa gave us .50 apiece for flying squirrel we shot out of his pecan trees. Between getting in his attic and eating his pecans, that old man hated’em. Me and my buddy made several dollars when we were 12-13 years old staying out all night and spotlighting flying squirrels. We never did put a dent in the population.

longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I started to clean out a bluebird box here last week and a flying squirrel jumped out in my face, I screamed like a hog was snappin' at me. Hadn't seen one around here since I was a kid.