Cleaning materials

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What are you using to clean your shotguns with? With all the shooting that my boys are doing now, I need to get a little better up to date on and more active with the cleaning.

Thanks,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Shotguns, bore Snake does great then some CLP and a rag maybe an old toothbrush for hard to get stuff.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To keep it simple, I use RemOil on the metal and most moving parts of semi-autos.

On break actions, I use RemOil to clean/wipe the metal down. I also use it on extractors and ejector areas. Try to keep it out of the wood.

On break actions I use grease on bearing surfaces. Grease will be best on areas that have a heavy load. I can’t remember the grease I have now. It is in a small tube like a syringe.

In all reality, unless dealing with something high end, I personally would not be particular on the brand of grease. A dab of must any grease from an auto store will be fine. I’d find one that doesn’t smell up the place and it only takes a dab.....I usually dip a toothpick and smear it on the bearing surfaces.

On AR15s, I’ve used anything from oil, motor oil, grease....I’m not very particular.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Been around a long time and seen a lot of oils and snake oils.....
Had to go read about this. First I seen it.

Gunsmith put me on to it. Told me to use it especially with corrosive ammo and black powder. Never had the first problem out of it.
He uses it on everything... l mean stuff like M-2, M-3, Maxim, 1919, STG-44, Krinks, MG-38,MG-42, MG-82, MP5-K, Hodgkiss, Thompson's, 20mm Vulcan, and at least 1, 105mm Howitzer. His stuff runs good, so I took his advice.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Can’t stand rem oil, especially the spray has a tendency to gum up when it dries. I use hoppe’s elite line in about everything I do. I shoot a shotgun a lot and it has yet to let me down