Cleaning an over/under, questions

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I need to clean my SKB 585, more than just the barrels/ejectors.

The big challenge is getting to the retaining nut/bolt in the stock to free the action from the stock. Anything I have that can reach that far is too thick for the access hole. I have a flex drive for my drill but I doubt it will make enough torque.

Is there something I need to look for, tool-wise, to get to that? The manual simply says "take it to a gunsmith." I don't want to deconstruct the moving parts, I just want to access them to clean it.. it doesn't specify if it's a 10mm or 11mm, (my guess.)

Secondary to that, I can't get the top lever to the center without the barrel on (and therefore get the action off the stock without damaging the wood)...but I'm assuming that will be fine, I'll remove the stock then remove the barrel. Am I missing something there?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would be sure to verify it’s a hex head. More and more are Allen heads and even torx. If you can find the right size....sometimes you have to turn a socket to get the walls thinner. They get weaker the thinner you go.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I would be sure to verify it’s a hex head. More and more are Allen heads and even torx. If you can find the right size....sometimes you have to turn a socket to get the walls thinner. They get weaker the thinner you go.
It is a hex, I shined a light down in there.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m missing something here. If the extension is too thick, then no way a socket for it would get down the hole. I’ve never had to use smaller than a 3/8 extension. 1/4” should do it. They normally are super tight.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I’m missing something here. If the extension is too thick, then no way a socket for it would get down the hole. I’ve never had to use smaller than a 3/8 extension. 1/4” should do it. They normally are super tight.
You aren't missing anything. I'm missing a few screws today.

My ratchet extensions that are long enough are all for bigger ratchets and too thick. 3/8 is too thick. I have a 1/4 ratchet but its extension is too short. I think Lowes has a 1/4 extension that's long enough. Some of this might be being overly cautious since I did see someone split a stock trying to disassemble the weapon.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You aren't missing anything. I'm missing a few screws today.

My ratchet extensions that are long enough are all for bigger ratchets and too thick. 3/8 is too thick. I have a 1/4 ratchet but its extension is too short. I think Lowes has a 1/4 extension that's long enough. Some of this might be being overly cautious since I did see someone split a stock trying to disassemble the weapon.
If the one at lowes isn't long enough either you can string a couple of the extensions together to make them longer.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If push comes to shove and Lowe’s doesn’t have that, they should have some 1/4” bar stock. Seems like they carry a little of that. Can put that onto a socket and turn it on the back end with a wrench. May want to use a bit of super glue between socket and bar stock if you have to go that route.

can you stack extensions or still too big if you did that?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did see 11 extensions stacked on time to get up inside a turbine pump to tighten something that was forgotten. It was sketchy to see...but it did work. I think it was bout 8 ft long.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
If push comes to shove and Lowe’s doesn’t have that, they should have some 1/4” bar stock. Seems like they carry a little of that. Can put that onto a socket and turn it on the back end with a wrench. May want to use a bit of super glue between socket and bar stock if you have to go that route.

can you stack extensions or still too big if you did that?
The 1/4 inch extension that I have now could be stacked.