Cleaning 50 cal, w/ 50 caliber brush

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Hi all,
I went to clean my 50 caliber CVA and screwed on a 50 cal bore brush. It's MUCH too skinny to get a good clean. At first I thought I accidentally screwed on a .45 bore brush but there's definitely a .50 engraving on the brush. I think the brush came from a Cabela's muzzy cleaning kit.

Anyone ever have this issue? A 20 gauge brush fits much better and I'm going to use this brush instead.
And no, my muzzleloader isnt a .54 either!

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hi all,
I went to clean my 50 caliber CVA and screwed on a 50 cal bore brush. It's MUCH too skinny to get a good clean. At first I thought I accidentally screwed on a .45 bore brush but there's definitely a .50 engraving on the brush. I think the brush came from a Cabela's muzzy cleaning kit.

Anyone ever have this issue? A 20 gauge brush fits much better and I'm going to use this brush instead.
And no, my muzzleloader isnt a .54 either!
You probably already know this but just in case:

If that 20ga brush is a little snug (or any brush for that matter) when you go to pull it back out, don't overpower it if it gets hung up...just rotate it clockwise to bend / curve the bristles to relax their grip a little while pulling it up.
Otherwise, overpowering it to try and pull it straight up can end up having the brush come apart and be stuck down in the bore. Time consuming to then get it out...

nettereo16

Six Pointer

If that 20ga brush is a little snug (or any brush for that matter) when you go to pull it back out, don't overpower it if it gets hung up...just rotate it clockwise to bend / curve the bristles to relax their grip a little while pulling it up.
Otherwise, overpowering it to try and pull it straight up can end up having the brush come apart and be stuck down in the bore. Time consuming to then get it out...
Thanks, good tip. I try to do straight passes and not back and forth to avoid this.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
OK, sounds like an inline with the breech plug out...I saw CVA and assumed traditional
(y)

DarrinG

Six Pointer

Good advice!

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Hey guys, ya'll might already do this but some might not.
I use a shotgun cleaning rod with 20 ga. brush. Don't put the piece with the handle onto the rest. Chuck it up in a cordless drill and vroom, vroom... clean as a whistle and quick. It's just what I do, it might help some.

Note: This is for inline muzzleloaders

double

Twelve Pointer
Hey guys, ya'll might already do this but some might not.
I use a shotgun cleaning rod with 20 ga. brush. Don't put the piece with the handle onto the rest. Chuck it up in a cordless drill and vroom, vroom... clean as a whistle and quick. It's just what I do, it might help some.

Note: This is for inline muzzleloaders

I have seen more than one nice rifle messed up with this method. Its a real good way to screw up your rifling. It doesn’t take that long to clean a rifle properly anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Ok.
I've got 3 inlines. They shoot nice, tight, repeatable groups.
I do see how one could hurt their rifle, I don't see why they'd work on one so long as to hurt it. Just my opinion.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I worked on cleaning an in-line for a friend over the weekend. Seemed to have been neglected and it will be after the season before I will be able to complete the job. And for anyone who thinks their barrels are clean, here is a bore scope that will show you exactly what it looks like.
This scope is only $50 but is a great product that will even fit in a .22 barrel.
CAUTION........ If you purchase this product plan on spending a lot of time working on weapons.