Clam digging close to Havelock

HuntingRanger

Button Buck
Hey all. My daughter and son-in-law moved to the area a year and half ago and are planning on staying in the area. He is in the marines.

I was wondering if anyone could give us any advice on where to clam dig and how best to go about it? I have been doing research and see the growing areas, and that using clam rakes works well in the sandy areas. But any advice to narrow us down to some areas would be appreciated! Places like Adam’s creek off Neuse river or Turnagain bay?

Thank you in advance for your willingness to help is

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Welp. Get waders. Find waist deep water where the current naturally blows against a ditch channel.
They seem to collect there.

Around peoples duck blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

la angler

Six Pointer
Go in a boat and catch the tide low in an area you can get out and wade in knee deep or less using a clam rake feeling for the clunk of hitting a clam

todobien

Eight Pointer
For hard clams we do it on flats down by Beaufort inlet. The clams in the river are Rangia clams which are more muddy tasting I hear.

HuntingRanger

Button Buck
Thank you all for helping out. I live in Washington state and here it is very easy to get clams. Just go to the Rocky and sandy beaches at low tide and dig them up. Or get razor clams with a clam gun on low tides by finding their shows.
Wading around and feeling for them in a dandy bottom is new to me!

Clark

Ten Pointer
I tried to dig clams for years. I'd go to a spot, and dig holes looking for a clam. Some kind souls took pity and explained the process. Don't dig a hole. Drag the rake along the bottom until you feel a distincitive 'thump', then go back and pop out the clam. Usually within 1" or so of the top of the mud.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, that's why we use our feet, you do it enough you can walk and feel the difference in the bottom when you step where one is laying

HuntingRanger

Button Buck
I really appreciate the replies. Does time of year matter? I will actually be visiting my daughter and her family next week and was hoping to make them some fresh chowder.

Ho ace

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Water temp is mid 50’s right now. Probably no big deal for a guy from Washington state but it’s usually a summer thing.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thank your son for his service. My son’s living in Havelock and attending Craven Community College’s Aviation Maintenance program. Maybe I’ll try some of these things with my kayak when it warms up some.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I really appreciate the replies. Does time of year matter? I will actually be visiting my daughter and her family next week and was hoping to make them some fresh chowder.
No, it doesnt make any difference. We get as many clams in feb as we do in july in my neck of the woods.