congrats on the citation fish

catfish or bullhead or both? Your headlines contradict themselves

I know, bullhead - but,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
None for the pan?

I was fishing with some locals (well netting, but it was for fish!) for dinner a couple of evenings in the Malaysian jungle,,,,most of what we caught were bullhead (exact species unknown)

them fellows had cleaning down to a science,,,,,don't

built a fire, rammed that stick in the mouth and out the bung,,,,roast over fire till done,,,peel off skin,,,eat meat, throw the rest away,,,,

delicious,,,,pure natural flavors,,no salt, no seasoning,,,,

them fellows did the same with the squirrels we shot,,,,burnt hair smell wasn't too bad and the eats were good after a day of jungle work,,,,

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
congrats on the citation fish

catfish or bullhead or both? Your headlines contradict themselves

I know, bullhead - but,,,

?? Both.......... no contradiction there......they are a member of the Family called Ictaluridae which are catfish and Includes Bullheads and Blue cats etc.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You cant and be correct because all in the Family of Ictaluride are all catfish but not all catfish are madtoms.

"The Ictaluridae, sometimes called ictalurids, are a family of catfish native to North America, where they are an important food source and sometimes fished for sport. The family includes about 51 species, some commonly known as bullheads, madtoms, channel catfish, and blue catfish. "

I can google too,,,

I'm just stating that mixing catfish with bullheads is no better than mixing both with madtoms,,,

your mixing of the two in your video post cloaked the clarity of whether the citiation was for a CATFISH genus or a bullhead genus

the equivalent of saying "i shoot a citation moose" when I actually shot a deer,,,both in the family of Cervidae

but hey,,,sorry I pointed out the editorial mistake,,,,have at it

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I can google too,,,

I'm just stating that mixing catfish with bullheads is no better than mixing both with madtoms,,,

your mixing of the two in your video post cloaked the clarity of whether the citiation was for a CATFISH genus or a bullhead genus

the equivalent of saying "i shoot a citation moose" when I actually shot a deer,,,both in the family of Cervidae

but hey,,,sorry I pointed out the editorial mistake,,,,have at it

Not an editorial mistake but will forgive it . Growing up in NC the 3 CATFISH that 99 percent of people caught were Bullheads , Channels and Whites. Then the State and others stocked Blues and Flatheads. I didnt have to google it but figured it would explain it better than I could.

Moose are not called moose deer or something like that.

But, Bullheads are called Bullhead Catfish, Flatheads are called flathead Catfish, Blue cats are called Blue catfish.
The only catfish that is not called Catfish is the madtom. never heard one called a madtom catfish but i could be wrong.

"mixing catfish with bullheads is no better..........." disagree with that ,.

Point is a Bullhead is a Catfish. no denying that.

The NCWRC considers it a catfish...........see https://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/Fishing-Records/NC-Angler-Recognition-Program-NCARP#:~:text=N.C. Angler Recognition Program,Angler Recognition Program (NCARP).&text=Anglers who collect six NCARP,Master Angler certificate and patch.

above link has them listed as

Catfish - Blue
Catfish - Channel
Catfish - Flathead
Catfish - White
Catfish - Bullhead (any species)

we will just have agree to disagree.

Last edited:

JM Mallard

Button Buck
Mack: thank you for the video. I spent hours and hours of my childhood with my best friends fishing that exact spillway - in many ways it is where I fell in love with fishing almost 30 years ago. We rode our bikes with a rod on the handlebars and caught all kinds of fish on all kinds of baits - worms we dug up, crickets we caught, hot dogs, bread, dough, even bare hooks. We caught snakes and turtles and would go swimming at the pool up the hill when we got hot. I took my family on a hike there about a month ago during the Rona and I hadn’t seen it in years. Thank you so much for bringing back a pile of childhood memories.