Cicada

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Some of the turkey may have drown but the one that made it through the rain should have plenty to eat. Heard about a million cicada today in northern Wilkes co. Rain must have brought them out. I think this is the big 17 year hatch.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Read on the internet (so it has to be true) that there may be as many as 1.5 million cicada per acre in this hatch. That is a bunch of bugs.

Last edited:

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Back up in Wilkes co today putting up a new deer stand, about a mile south of the Surry co line near Wells knob the place was covered up with them. Maybe not as wide spread as i first thought , but my ears are still ringing from the noise.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
None here, we had our scourge a few years ago. Our fruit trees will never recover from their egg laying technique.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
We were camping up at stone mtn park Wilkes co and the roar of them was constant from time I set up till we left carcasses everywhere

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
We were camping up at stone mtn park Wilkes co and the roar of them was constant from time I set up till we left carcasses everywhere

Not sure if they are still out or not but that trip to Stone Mtn 2 weeks ago was crazy. Never heerd a sound that was annoying as that sound was. Could not sleep because it was so loud. It was still ringing in my ears on Saturday night when we got home. Seemed like it was millions, that whole mountain side was crawling with them, something in the woods surely ate well...hope it was the turkeys.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Have been covered up with them in northern Wilkes but now they are just about gone. I wouldn't dispute the 1.5 million estimate.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
In Grayson VA filling up feeders today. Cicadas everywhere!! Many of them dying out BUT they are still reall my loud in spots