Chufa Question

Mossybuck

Button Buck
So I have a good stand of Chufa (3/4 acre) that I planted for the first time. The turkeys walked over all summer and into early fall. They normally show back up anytime now. My question is what is the best way to get them started on it? I have took a steel rake and raked up a few plants to make it look like turkeys have been there but they have still not found it. I dont own a disc but I own a tiller. Should I till a strip up to get them started?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
you must get them to the surface one way or another to show them they are there, they will dig up the rest

hope ya planted 20% xtra for the coons

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Till a strip in the middle not the whole thing. Make sure the nuts are exposed. See what happens. The first year is the toughest but once they find it they will be like little crack addicts. I say dont till it all because it will last longer if if they have to work for it. They are destroying ours right now.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
An interesting fact from yesteryear...my Dad, now deceased, told me that his Dad used to plant Chufa back in the 20's-30's in Duplin Co. & then turn the hogs loose in it to fatten them up for "hog killing" time. Rest of time they fed them what he called "slops".

25contender

Twelve Pointer
That clover will be a killing spot in 5 and 1/2 weeks
Yes sir. We switched most our food plots to clover about 6 years ago. It was the best thing we have done. This field was replanted this past fall along with another. It will jump then it starts to warm up and the deer have more food to browse on. Turkeys love it especially when it starts to flower out. 10 years ago we just had a few birds. It doesnt take long to get a managable flock if you can keep them on the property. All the polts are imprinted on the fields and all the birds stick around all year.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
An interesting fact from yesteryear...my Dad, now deceased, told me that his Dad used to plant Chufa back in the 20's-30's in Duplin Co. & then turn the hogs loose in it to fatten them up for "hog killing" time. Rest of time they fed them what he called "slops".
Yep . Old farmer I used to work for about had a stroke when I told him what chufa cost . He said they would plant it by hand then turn hogs in it to root up the ground. Kill the hogs and pick up the roots. After couple years the area would be turned into a field. He also said he always had a pocket of chufa as a snack because they couldn't afford candy .