Chucks are showing up in the foodplot

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been getting after some whistlepigs lately. I had one I started seeing 3 days ago around my hay. Yesterday I stepped out the door to go home and saw it scamper towards the building, slipped back into the house and grabbed a modern sporting rifle. Eased out the back door and worked my way around to my truck periodically stopping to look for movement. Saw it was still out so I worked my way to the fuel tank and waited. Longest time the bugger milled under the mower that was hooked to a tractor in the adjacent lean to. I waited until it cleared the tires and laid the red dot on the vitals because I have this setup for MPBR I was afraid I’d miss the head. Tick over 50 yards… POW…it scurried under the hay.

I thought no way I missed with that 55 grain Sierra .223… but I didn’t miss, had a good trail leading to the hay.

E6805D69-17FC-4533-8695-1A555A188BB1.jpeg

So this afternoon I thought I’d pull a few bales out and check to see if it expired at the opening…

2C88DBA7-01E0-42A0-B4CF-530E90A94197.jpeg

Nope and diesel ain’t worth wasting to dig deeper. I’ll find it this winter when I feed the hay.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have not been home but a few days in the last several weeks and a ride by the homeplace today had a target of opportunity to greet me upon my return. Me and the .17 HMR made sure she will not make that mistake again.
IMG_20220813_192053.jpg

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Another one fell to the wrath of my boots. Caught him on the edge of one of my soybean fields a long way from his den. Ran him down on the four wheeler. For some reason he seemed afraid to head into the dense soybeans and stayed on the edge. When I caught up with him, he kind of cowered on the edge for a couple of seconds. Long enough for me to jump off the four wheeler and land square on his head with my left boot. That stunned him and I commenced to going ape :donk:donk:donk:donk on him.1F8AF8AB-BDB8-4E07-9FF7-DB3A546D43DE.jpeg

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have not killed one with my feet in several years because the .17HMR is far more efficient and gives me a lot more range. And they just keep coming to prime real estate and I keep collecting rent. This is #3 in the last week so the vacancy sign is out again.
PXL_20220830_221210313.jpg

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had another one show up about a week ago. Made my stalk, centered the crosshairs, squeezed the trigger and only got a click. First time I have ever had a misfire with my 17HMR. By the time I recycled it, the whistle pig was gone and I did not see which way it went.

Been trying to put eyes on it again ever since and did spot it a few times when I did not have the gun with me and by the time I got back, it would be gone. Watched it go under a building one time so I set up to wait for it to stick it's head back out. That usually takes about 30 minutes but 1 1/2 hours later, nothing. Must have went out the back.

Took my granddaughter for a ride on the by side side as she calls it this afternoon and there it was munching on grass. Went back to the house and got the gun but no target out. Did not hang around but went back about 30 minutes later and it was out feeding again.

When I squeezed the trigger this time, his borrowed time ran out.
PXL_20220915_222142108.jpg

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve been getting after some whistlepigs lately. I had one I started seeing 3 days ago around my hay. Yesterday I stepped out the door to go home and saw it scamper towards the building, slipped back into the house and grabbed a modern sporting rifle. Eased out the back door and worked my way around to my truck periodically stopping to look for movement. Saw it was still out so I worked my way to the fuel tank and waited. Longest time the bugger milled under the mower that was hooked to a tractor in the adjacent lean to. I waited until it cleared the tires and laid the red dot on the vitals because I have this setup for MPBR I was afraid I’d miss the head. Tick over 50 yards… POW…it scurried under the hay.

I thought no way I missed with that 55 grain Sierra .223… but I didn’t miss, had a good trail leading to the hay.

View attachment 95852

So this afternoon I thought I’d pull a few bales out and check to see if it expired at the opening…

View attachment 95851

Nope and diesel ain’t worth wasting to dig deeper. I’ll find it this winter when I feed the hay.

Found the remains today

51D26DEC-5ADB-4FBF-94E0-C5A78594D26F.jpeg760D7A2D-9F29-4008-AA05-998BDD1FCE4B.jpeg