Choke Tubes

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
I am sure that there is already an existing thread regarding choke tubes, but i was curious as to what choke tubes people are using? i typically have just went to bass pro and picked up the Kicks High Flyer chokes, but seeing that i just sold my old gun and got a new one, i am inclined to venture out into different brands of chokes. I have heard great things about Patternmasters and Jebs Chokes, if you have shot these or any other make of choke tube, i would love to get some feedback on what yall use and what the best out there is in yalls opinions

-Brian

britlab64

Six Pointer
Jebs is a great quality choke
Personally I do not care for Pattern Master
Kicks High Flyer is my go to choke
Mueller makes a nice choke also but I have not personally shot that one
Really depends on the firearm and the type of ammo
Gotta spend some time patterning to find the right mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer
I shoot a Carlson’s extended full for pretty much everything. My wife has a Carlson’s extended modified. Both pattern great.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
clarson cremator choke tubes for me. Getting put to the test for the first time tomorrow on ducks but on paper they looked really good.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
We love our Kicks's tubes. We have several High Flyers, Gobblin Thunder, and Buck Kicker tubes. All have done great for us.

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Kind of partial to my factory tubes. They pattern quite nicely in a 30" circle at 40 yds. with my preferred load of #3s. Does everyone who buys aftermarket chokes doing so because your factory chokes truly don't pattern well on paper? Or is it that they just don't pattern tight enough for long shots?

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Kind of partial to my factory tubes. They pattern quite nicely in a 30" circle at 40 yds. with my preferred load of #3s. Does everyone who buys aftermarket chokes doing so because your factory chokes truly don't pattern well on paper? Or is it that they just don't pattern tight enough for long shots?

In my case my gun only came with a factory modified, so i purchased aftermarket tubes in different restrictions. But im partial to carlsons. I use a skeet choke for swamp woodie shoots, and IC or mod for all others. Although i did get a kicks high flyer for sea ducks and divers on the coast. Only difference is see is the kicks holds a little tighter shooting cripples further out, but 30 yards and in its either a whiff completely or you blow every feather off it if you hit it square.

rutnstrut

Ten Pointer

I shoot aftermarket because my factory chokes didn’t pattern great with steel shot.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I have been shooting a factory mod in my A400 but bought a couple Trulock chokes to try. I like them.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
9 out of ten times, factory chokes will suffice. I ran muller and compnchoke chokes in my target guns when I was shooting clays a lot.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Shot a factory modified for almost 20 yrs. Switched to my factory full about 5 yrs ago and haven't looked back. Not as forgiving as my modified but I very rarely have any cripples anymore

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
In my Mossberg I spent the money on Carlson’s and was underwhelmed. They don’t shoot any better than my standard factory chokes. I usually use modified for any sort of wingshooting, but if I need a full choke, nothing throws patterns like a fixed-full IMO.