Choke - Recommendation

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
I am setting up a new turkey gun right now. Franchi Affinity Compact 20 gauge w/ a Burris FF3 and shooting Apex TSS.

I think I’ve decided on an Indian Creek choke; however, I’ve still considering a JEBS. Question is, would you all go with the .555 or a .562 constriction?

Thanks for any input!

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve shot both but didn’t go with either I’ve got a sumtoy .562 in the same setup and it’s impressive. But to answer your main question I prefer a .562 over the .555 with TSS in a 20ga the .555 is tighter then I like.

dhsten

Ten Pointer
I shoot the same gun with Hal’s 1 5/8oz load. Indian Creek .570 works best for me, gives some wiggle room and was the most consistent shot to shot.
All the above mentioned chokes will do well though.

Attachments

• 9E08B94E-40B5-4BD6-8E0C-5399A8233795.jpeg
    9E08B94E-40B5-4BD6-8E0C-5399A8233795.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 22

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve loaded a ton of tss through Hal’s expert tutelage. The number one thing I’ve learned ever since I started loading and patterning shells is shotguns are just as unique to the load/choke as rifles are about bullets.
My advice is buy 3-4 of the chokes and sacrifice a box of shells to find what works best in your particular gun. You can easily sell the other chokes after you find what works best.
I will say a Indian creek .555 at 40 through a SX3 running Hal’s 1-1/2 load is tight, too tight.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I’ve loaded a ton of tss through Hal’s expert tutelage. The number one thing I’ve learned ever since I started loading and patterning shells is shotguns are just as unique to the load/choke as rifles are about bullets.
My advice is buy 3-4 of the chokes and sacrifice a box of shells to find what works best in your particular gun. You can easily sell the other chokes after you find what works best.
I will say a Indian creek .555 at 40 through a SX3 running Hal’s 1-1/2 load is tight, too tight.
Way to tight in that gun it will decap one haha

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Yea, a SX3 is backbored.....555 is smoking tight in invector plus. I like a .585 Carlson's in that gun.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I am not loyal to any one brand choke by any means. Here's guns I can think of that I have killed turkeys with and the first choice chokes used. Of course, I'm using TSS which slopes the playing field in any gun's favor...

410 Stevens 301 - Indian Creek .390
410 Yildiz O/U - CompNChoke .385
410 Remington 1100 - Brileys XF

28 ga Ithaca 37 - Briley's XF
28 ga Franchi 48AL - Trulock .520
28 ga CZ Woodcock O/U - Trulock .520

20 ga Stevens 301 - Factory XF (Carlsons)
20 ga Remington 870 - Rem SF
20 ga Benelli Nova - Carlsons .575

12 ga Mossberg 500A - Carlsons .690
12 ga Mossberg 500 - Factory flush mount full
12 ga Remington 870 - Wrights .675