Chickens - Good ole Yard Bird

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
who has them and how many?

As mentioned in a thread in the classifieds, we have about 30 right now. Most of what we have now or what I called 4-H Show Chickens. We bought these through 4-H and my oldest has been competing in the 4-H chicken show that usually happens in May, but doesn't look promising this year.

We started out with 6 chickens in one pen, now we have 3 pens and one truck that is so heavy that it's just a short pen. We don't use it alot.

We try to hatch some each year just to keep something going and the wife hatches some in her classroom. We don't have a good hatch rate, only like 50%. I've been told it's a combination of the type of incubator and that we keep it in the building. The guy says it's too much temperature range to be much more successful than that.

We sell at a local chicken auction when we decide to get rid of some. I would sell to anyone that wants them though.

Anyway, Let's talk Chicken!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have transitioned to mostly heritage fluffy butt english orpingtons with a few mixed australorps and one buckeye hen left. Our only rooster now is a really tall (uh oh)lemon cuckoo orpington. I killed the other rooster a couple of weeks ago after he jumped me when I let them out to freerange, he was a beautiful chocolate cuckoo english orpington but mean as a snake.
I think we have a total of 15 birds left right now, a low number from our usual flock but the birds are getting older.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We have about 30-35 total. A few of this and a few of that.
We have 8 or 10 cemani hens and a couple are sitting, so we should have a few more chicks shotly

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just sold out, fist time in over 20 year there hasn't been any here. Don't plan on any more.

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
We have five; 2 barred rock, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 golden laced wyandotte, and a bielenfelder. All laying.

I do miss having buff orphingtons because they the ones we had were so social with the family, but 5 is the max I'm gonna have. We are giving away about a dozen eggs per week to neighbors and friends.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
. I killed the other rooster a couple of weeks ago after he jumped me when I let them out

we had Rhode Island Reds when i was a kid - the rooster got rougher the older he got. Dang fellow was nearly three feet tall it seemed. I tended them mostly and he didn’t bother me much but my mom was scared of him when she went around them

thd rooster rushed her one day and she nailed his head with a baseball bat. He was out for 10 minutes. Came to and never bothered her again

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
we had Rhode Island Reds when i was a kid - the rooster got rougher the older he got. Dang fellow was nearly three feet tall it seemed. I tended them mostly and he didn’t bother me much but my mom was scared of him when she went around them

thd rooster rushed her one day and she nailed his head with a baseball bat. He was out for 10 minutes. Came to and never bothered her again
this one was dealt with many times before meeting his end with a 22 magnum to the head. I was at wits end with 2 broken ribs and just tired of him trying to spur me...he'd gotten me the two weeks before and I hurt myself trying to get to him. His time had played out.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I don't have any anymore but I miss having them around. I might have to get some Dominickers or Easter eggers soon.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
We have five; 2 barred rock, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 1 golden laced wyandotte, and a bielenfelder. All laying.

I do miss having buff orphingtons because they the ones we had were so social with the family, but 5 is the max I'm gonna have. We are giving away about a dozen eggs per week to neighbors and friends.
Buffs truly are gentle. I used to have some and liked them but so did the raccoons...

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
We had about 10 laying hens at our last house in the suburbs. I was glad to get rid of them at that point. Since we moved and purchased a few acres I had thought about raising some more layers. Then wife asked if i would be interested in doing it again and with all this virus/political stuff going on, I agreed to build a coop. Im still working on the coop but we should end up with 10 layers this go around. The chicks are about 3 weeks old now and I cant wait to get them in their new home already.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@pcbuckhunter. What kind of incubator do you run

ef386d8b1b0718caf4b5d120b0b568dc.jpg

The Farm Innovators Pro Series 4250.
We’ve got 2 of these, and we’re fixing to get another one.

The old lady has some homemade contraption that the school had donated before she took over the program.
It works... but the hatch rate was kinda crappy, somewhere in the 30-50% range, so she elected to just use ours this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We had about 10 laying hens at our last house in the suburbs. I was glad to get rid of them at that point. Since we moved and purchased a few acres I had thought about raising some more layers. Then wife asked if i would be interested in doing it again and with all this virus/political stuff going on, I agreed to build a coop. Im still working on the coop but we should end up with 10 layers this go around. The chicks are about 3 weeks old now and I cant wait to get them in their new home already.

Tell me about it!!! We’ve got 40 something in brooders right now and about 6 dozen more hatching as we speak. I’m ready for these little beggars to get moved outside!!!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The old lady is hatching Buff Orpingtons for her class projects, and we’re getting into the Lavender Orpingtons for our personal flock.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know what happened to ours. We got 5 out of 41 eggs. I think the humidity got too high. I'm going try again and make sure we keep it down.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know what happened to ours. We got 5 out of 41 eggs. I think the humidity got too high. I'm going try again and make sure we keep it down.

We keep ours between 55-65% until we pull the turner. Once we pull the turner, keep it between 60-70%.

And we make sure to keep the temp between 99-100 degrees

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Before we moved last June, we had 5. Three hens and two roosters. One of the roosters was a BIG Rhode Island Red that we had to keep separate from the hens, because he tore 'em up too bad. Me and him had a "Come to Jesus" meeting one day when he came at me. I launched him with my foot so hard that he bounced off the back of the pen. Never bothered me again. The other rooster was a Cochine (bantum) and he fit in nicely with the hens. I called him "Little Orphan Andy", since he just showed up at the chicken pen one day out of nowhere. I gave them all to a friend before we moved.
Where we live now, our next door neighbors have chickens, and they shove eggs on us constantly just to get rid of some.

I thinks it's going to be a while before my wife consents to having chickens again.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
For those incubating, are you guys candling your eggs between 3-7 days of incubation? This will tell you fertility. Some roosters just don't know what they are doing Also getting those non-fertile eggs out so they don't break or rot and jeopardize the whole hatch. If you have good fertility and hatch rate still sucks, it's probably a temperature consistency issue. Have more then one thermometer and get a very sensitive thermometer, I use a Brinsea. Also, incubators with a fan should be set at slightly different temps then ones without. They talk about humidity a lot but some never increase humidity during lockdown and chicks hatch fine. If I had to choose I'd choose to incubate a little too warm vs too cold.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited: