Chicken plucker

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you have one to recommend?

Before any body comments

How many chickens could chicken plucker pluck if the Chicken plucker had a chicken plucker?

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
I’ll give you my two cents... although not really diy. my wife found a yardbird plucker with a coupons and discounts we got for under $300 new. Had it for two years now and Going price was around $400 from rural king o r tractor supply Iirc. I have done 100+ chickens up to 8 lbs, 20 or so turkeys 12-16 lbs dressed, a few Canadian geese and a wild turkey. I can’t imagine doing plucking without it again So if it died tomorrow I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.
the wheels are an absolute joke unless you are going 10 ft in your golf course grass lawn, so I replaced the axle and wheels with 6 inch rubber wheels and bolts. Since we haul it 150 yards from shipping container storage down gravel drive and pasture to tractor barn to process Having something that rolls was imperative.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll give you my two cents... although not really diy. my wife found a yardbird plucker with a coupons and discounts we got for under $300 new. Had it for two years now and Going price was around $400 from rural king o r tractor supply Iirc. I have done 100+ chickens up to 8 lbs, 20 or so turkeys 12-16 lbs dressed, a few Canadian geese and a wild turkey. I can’t imagine doing plucking without it again So if it died tomorrow I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.
the wheels are an absolute joke unless you are going 10 ft in your golf course grass lawn, so I replaced the axle and wheels with 6 inch rubber wheels and bolts. Since we haul it 150 yards from shipping container storage down gravel drive and pasture to tractor barn to process Having something that rolls was imperative.

I’ve been looking at those as well. They seem to have great reviews but the opinions seem to be mixed when it comes to doing smaller birds. What’s your opinion on it being able to do quail???

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
May have to do with whether they were raising meat birds like Cotournix or Japanese quail compared to bobwhites.

Very true but Georgia giants are as big as cotournix. Either way, I don’t mind doing it by hand, but I’m not gonna turn down a “work smarter not harder” opportunity if it knocks...

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Very true but Georgia giants are as big as cotournix. Either way, I don’t mind doing it by hand, but I’m not gonna turn down a “work smarter not harder” opportunity if it knocks...
I would say it would prob do OK on larger quail might have a bit more pin feather to pick. I have done some pen raised chukars on a friends featherman ( more expensive brand) and it did OK. Had to cut it off before it was quite clean cause it started to bruise the skin and tears were coming. I would say if you try it, get another hose in addition to the "hooked up" one and spray/double down on the water. The issue is the fingers that actually do the plucking are rather firm and not so flexible.