Chesapeake Bay Retriever question

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I have a 6 year old female Chessie. Last year around this time she shedded a massive amount. Not quite bald spots, but close. She had never done this before. Took her to the vet. Did the whole routine. Said to change her to a quality food. Which she was already on. I changed her to high end food and have kept her on it.. So my question is does anyone else's Chessies have a huge blow out every summer? I like my vet, but I'd rather not donate another $500 if it's common.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
When we had our Chessie never had a blow out like that, but am sure if i look hard enough i will find some hairs somewhere, and it was a different house and 8 years ago

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ours had a similar issue. Vet found a protein issue and changed the diet to low fat food. Happened at 7 years old for our dog. Has made a difference.

ducknut

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the replies. Looking into all of it. 41 mag- sounds alot like what mine is doing. I made the mistake of researching why a dogs hair falls out last night. Had to put it down or I'd never go to sleep

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
It’s like going to WebMD, can take you down all sorts of scary rabbit holes. I like what I find here. đŸ˜€

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Can't say specifically with your dog, but a huge seasonal blowing out of the coat isn't uncommon when it gets hot for thicker/double coated dogs. It happened with our golden retrievers growing up. To a certain extent it happens with my wirehairs.

Gus

Six Pointer
Raised and hunted Chesapeake's for forty years.
All were from different lines but every one had skin and or coat issues from time to time- always in the hot months. NC heat and humidity is just tough on em. Agree with 41 on the wire brush on a wet coat- really helps just don't overdo it bearing down too hard. Mine have had blowouts but not every summer and much rarer since I started wire brushing wet twice a month or so in hot weather.