Chernobyl

CarolinaReaper

Has anyone seen this absolutely amazing mini-series on HBO? My god, this show took me totally by surprise. The acting, the realism, the sheer brutality and awe of the situation being depicted is nothing short of breathtaking in my opinion. This show currently sits at #1 on IMDB as the top rated tv series of all time, surpassing GOT, Breaking Bad and even Band of Brothers. If y'all haven't seen this one yet, I highly suggest giving it a watch, but be warned it is rough at times to say the least. The fourth episode, "The Happiness of All Mankind" was one of the worst for me personally, if you watch it... you'll know why.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolinaReaper

The sets are amazing.

I read a review from a guy that lives in the Ukraine that says the sets and locations of filming, the uniforms, the cars, the guns,etc are spot on accurate for the time period. They put the work into this one for sure.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I am only fascinated by a few things that have happened in my lifetime, Challenger, Columbia, and Chernobyl, (I guess I like disasters that start with C lol).

This series has been riveting imho. I have always wondered, what an in depth look into the former Soviet Union handling of this disaster must have been like. I think this series delivered.

There is a youtube video of the main engineer, who gets on a helicopter the next day, and literally flies over the open core, his screams are better than ANY horror actor or actress has ever tried to scream.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
It terrifies me. Too scary. I remember duke power handing out iodine tablets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
The whole 90 secs on the roof scene was so tense and the use of the music and the clicking dosimeter was well done. the production value of this show is off the scale. The 90 sec these men spent on that roof was thought to cut their life expectancy in half...the extra 30 secs that one guy had doubled that so thats why he is "done"

Spoiler but the clip is just to good not to share.....the words the commander speak at the beginning are said to be almost exactly the speech he gave that day....

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
It terrifies me. Too scary. I remember duke power handing out iodine tablets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad still has his plaque from when he helped with loading of the "fuel" when the plant first opened. He said they recruited maintenance staff to assist, and most knew it was dangerous, but didnt know exactly how dangerous. He always told me the worst part was if you went through the scanner and the alarm went off they had to strip naked and scrub down with some kind of abrasive pad and soap that felt like you were showering with acetone.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
mid to late 80s were an interesting time,,,,watching the death of an empire,,,,Chernobyl was part of that death progression,,

we spun up for it (the unit I was in) as you never know what will happen when a faltering country has an issue that severe,,,

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
mid to late 80s were an interesting time,,,,watching the death of an empire,,,,Chernobyl was part of that death progression,,

we spun up for it (the unit I was in) as you never know what will happen when a faltering country has an issue that severe,,,

And here we are 30 years later, witnessing the death of the other empire.