Cheap Hollow Points?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Reading on the interwebs that Federal and Speer have started enforcing no sales and higher pricing to their LE line of ammo basiclly wanting you to spend more for 20rd boxes, now i don't burn through a ton of HP ammo but i also don't want to pay more so.... what carry ammo in 9/40 have you found or use that ain't LE such as Golddot's or HST's? in 45acp we all know they all fall to hardball! :)

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The nice thing about all the expanding bullet development that has taken place over the last 40 years, is the fact that some of it has bled over into all bullet production. If I couldn't get my hands on a bonded bullet like the Gold Dot, I'd get a load with the Hornady XTP and carry on.

But, I don't have any illusions that bullet technology is going to be the deciding factor in much of anything. If some strange circumstance occurred where hardball is all I had access to, I'm confident I could use that to good effect.

But having said that, I haven't seen anything resembling a "restriction" on ammo of ANY kind since the market is soft and prices are down. If you're having trouble finding something in particular, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can direct you to a source.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm a fan of XTP's. I've seen what they do to a bunch of deer. I'd hate to be on the receiving end....

Reactions: Lee

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They aren't exactly cheap, but the FTX line of pistol bullets work well for hunting in the larger calibers...I've never tried them in 9mm/40cal though.

I hadn't heard about this before. Just checked bonefroggunclub.com where I had been buying 50 rd boxes of HST for ~$20 and they now require LE credentials. Damn what a rip. Went from $.40 a round to now >$1 a round.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is a reply from an inquiry made on another Forum regarding the "LE Only" requirement. If this is a move to boost sales and profits, it will likely fail and be a short lived requirement as the market is very soft.

Either way and irrespective of my ability to produce a LE credential, I personally don't believe in "magic bullets" from ANY maker and I'll get by just fine on all the other stuff that's available without any restriction.

Hi,

The factory cut off supply on the HST, Hydrashok and Golddot in 50 round boxes several months ago after they threw a big fit about it being sold into the commercial market. Basically that ammunition is made for law-enforcement sales only, however we’ve been able to break the rules without getting in trouble for it for quite a while now, but it just caught up to us finally. I’m not going to be able to get anymore for probably a very long time. I was making $0.75 a box when I sold it by the case and $1.75 when I sold it individually and I don’t want to give away the last of it at those sort of prices if I cannot get anymore. Time will tell how this all plays out but if I am able to get a new source or find a way to work around this and buy that ammunition cheap again I will lower the price at that time.

Thank you

Last edited:

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is a reply from an inquiry made on another Forum regarding the "LE Only" requirement. If this is a move to boost sales and profits, it will likely fail and be a short lived requirement as the market is very soft.

Either way and irrespective of my ability to produce a LE credential, I personally don't believe in "magic bullets" from ANY maker and I'll get by just fine on all the other stuff that's available without any restriction.

Hi,

The factory cut off supply on the HST, Hydrashok and Golddot in 50 round boxes several months ago after they threw a big fit about it being sold into the commercial market. Basically that ammunition is made for law-enforcement sales only, however we’ve been able to break the rules without getting in trouble for it for quite a while now, but it just caught up to us finally. I’m not going to be able to get anymore for probably a very long time. I was making $0.75 a box when I sold it by the case and $1.75 when I sold it individually and I don’t want to give away the last of it at those sort of prices if I cannot get anymore. Time will tell how this all plays out but if I am able to get a new source or find a way to work around this and buy that ammunition cheap again I will lower the price at that time.

Thank you
Sam
SGAmmo

I’m not why that ammunition is only available to LE.
Anything available for LE should be available to civilians.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m not why that ammunition is only available to LE.
Anything available for LE should be available to civilians.

Well, the 20/25 rd box thing started out some years ago as a marketing ploy. Many consumers complained about the cost of a 50 rd box of high-tech hollow-points, so they reduced the portion size to make the pill a little easier to swallow.

The current riff has to do with wholesale pricing. The 50 rd boxes (intended for restricted government sales) are priced differently at the wholesale level than the 20 rd boxes. The ammo itself is not restricted - it's all about the size of the box and the potential mark-ups.

I can only presume that ATK (the company that owns Federal, CCI & Speer) is seeing this as a way to boost profits, since non-government sales make up a sizable portion of their bottom line. As I stated earlier, my gut says this will likely backfire on them.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It's been that way at least 5 years now at the places I used to buy gold dots in 50 round boxes.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Reading on the interwebs that Federal and Speer have started enforcing no sales and higher pricing to their LE line of ammo basiclly wanting you to spend more for 20rd boxes, now i don't burn through a ton of HP ammo but i also don't want to pay more so.... what carry ammo in 9/40 have you found or use that ain't LE such as Golddot's or HST's? in 45acp we all know they all fall to hardball! :)

Are you looking for .40 as well?

My ammunition dealer still has 50 round boxes of .40 HST.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
No I actually have a decent supply of 9,40 and 45 I just will be a little more tight with them, I just think they are wanting more $ out of the individual buyer.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is disappointing. Although as far as the speer gold dots.....i havent been able to shoot them. They really seem to open up the pattern. I thought it was me, but ive shot with a few people and they had the same results in a couple of my guns.

spittinfire

Six Pointer
I can't speak for the 40 because I don't shoot it but I did some testing a few years ago shooting into wet newspaper using a 45. The 100rd box of Remington UMC hollow points did surprisingly well with good penetration and expansion. The 38s, not so much. I didn't have a 9 that day but I've wanted to go back and try them to see how they do.