Chatham Classic

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
Had a great time yesterday at the Chatham County Deer Hunter's Hunting Classic was blessed to win the best female deer award, he scored 144 2/8
Met some great people and will definitely be back next year.
7fd2f05599225bada91cf5d0a11bb926.jpg
d398f0784f270d683eb97574d592f276.jpg
ae4401b7ede663d8fd52b5beb8b76565.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
Awesome! I heard about the event but wasn't able to attend. Congrats to you and your Big 9 on the win!

Thanks! Was a great event for a even better cause, definitely recommend checking it out next year if you are able to. I’m just glad to have got a second and more accurate score that wasn’t rushed

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A 13” difference in score?
I hope you guys asked some questions at the Dixie deer classic. That is only 1” off of the winner.

Was one scored based off of gross and one off of net?

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
A 13” difference in score?
I hope you guys asked some questions at the Dixie deer classic. That is only 1” off of the winner.

Was one scored based off of gross and one off of net?

Yep.. 13” difference. But I kept my mouth shut about it. I will not be back to the DDC. I mean this was my second time and on both of my bucks they have scored wrong and everybody wants to say oh you’re just butt hurt cause you didn’t win blah blah. No. When harvesting a deer of that size I’ve already won and don’t need any award to tell me that but at the same time when harvesting a deer of that size and taking it over there I would like to know it’s correct score even though it doesn’t matter to me at all it’s nice to know. They have been caught multiple times being wrong one guy they scored his 120’s and ended up being 150’s after he asked them to re score. Now I’m not saying they’re doing it on purpose at alll but they just have too many deer coming in at once and not enough time to properly score them they’re rushed My 9 point that won yesterday scored a 139 gross and 131 net at the DDC and at the Chatham Classic 144 2/8 gross and 140 net also this scoring did not include tip to tip spread only the greatest spread.
My 10 point hanging beside my 9 scored a 129 gross and 124 net at the DDC I have no idea what it’s actual score would be but at least mid 130’s gross.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep.. 13” difference. But I kept my mouth shut about it. I will not be back to the DDC. I mean this was my second time and on both of my bucks they have scored wrong and everybody wants to say oh you’re just butt hurt cause you didn’t win blah blah. No. When harvesting a deer of that size I’ve already won and don’t need any award to tell me that but at the same time when harvesting a deer of that size and taking it over there I would like to know it’s correct score even though it doesn’t matter to me at all it’s nice to know. They have been caught multiple times being wrong one guy they scored his 120’s and ended up being 150’s after he asked them to re score. Now I’m not saying they’re doing it on purpose at alll but they just have too many deer coming in at once and not enough time to properly score them they’re rushed My 9 point that won yesterday scored a 139 gross and 131 net at the DDC and at the Chatham Classic 144 2/8 gross and 140 net also this scoring did not include tip to tip spread only the greatest spread.
My 10 point hanging beside my 9 scored a 129 gross and 124 net at the DDC I have no idea what it’s actual score would be but at least mid 130’s gross.

So ddc used the net score. Chatham used the gross score. So a 5” difference from gross to gross.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Congrats on your buck. With the deer you're taking, I'd learn how to score myself. It's fairly simple on those bucks. I've had no formal training and can get within 1"-2" within five minutes. Good instructions on B&C website.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Congrats on your buck. With the deer you're taking, I'd learn how to score myself. It's fairly simple on those bucks. I've had no formal training and can get within 1"-2" within five minutes. Good instructions on B&C website.
He's absolutely right....measuring up the gross score, especially on a typical rack, is not difficult at all.

Ultimately, I think most of us on here agree score doesn't really matter in the grand scheme. What it provides is a number...so that when you're sharing info about a buck with your friends and forum members, they'll be able to get a general idea how big the deer's rack is...that's all.

Since "big un" is a very relative description, what a rough gross score does is provide enough information for folks to get a pretty good idea just how big the "big un" is!

As far as net score goes, net score is totally irrelevant to me. It does very little to assist in sizing up a set of antlers. In fact, it can be very misleading, often selling short those big ol bucks that are asymmetrical or have a lot of extra junk. Symmetry means nothing to me. In fact, the weirder it is, the better I like it!

hayco10

Eight Pointer

Tip to tip does not count regardless. Not sure why it is shown on the scoring sheet or on line

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Yeah I’ve never understood that either cause it’s listed on B&C if you do the online scoring as well.

FAQ on the B&C website says it's used to positively identify deer and to give a general idea of the rack configuration. The score sheet also asks for greatest overall spread, as well as tip to tip and insider spread. But nowhere does it say add those to the score. It specifically states that only inside spread is added. Adding tip to tip and greatest outside, I think I'd have half a dozen or more 165-180" deer, LOL.

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
FAQ on the B&C website says it's used to positively identify deer and to give a general idea of the rack configuration. The score sheet also asks for greatest overall spread, as well as tip to tip and insider spread. But nowhere does it say add those to the score. It specifically states that only inside spread is added. Adding tip to tip and greatest outside, I think I'd have half a dozen or more 165-180" deer, LOL.

That’s what I thought cause on any of my score sheets they only record greatest inside spread but right lol

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Thats what i was going to say DDC only use's greatest inside spread, have measured a lot of heads for them over the years ,and they have some very proficient scorer's there along with a few B&C official scores as well , I would suggest learning how to score so as to know approx. size before letting someone else score it, some very nice deer Karley

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
Thats what i was going to say DDC only use's greatest inside spread, have measured a lot of heads for them over the years ,and they have some very proficient scorer's there along with a few B&C official scores as well , I would suggest learning how to score so as to know approx. size before letting someone else score it, some very nice deer Karley

Thanks! Yes both places only use greatest inside spread, I scored it last week by myself very simple process got the same score basically just a couple inches different I had come up with 142” they got 144” so not much difference. Regardless deer of a life time for me but will never stop doing better for the wildlife and better my record

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
WTG Karley!
I tried to contact them to find out what it was about but got no replies, unfortunately.
and if there was a thread here i missed it.

Thanks! All the funds go to helping Back In The Woods again. If you want more info on it for next year contact Dennis Branson on Facebook he’s the head person over everything

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Start lying about the county you killed your deer in or everyone will come try and get the land.....lol. Just messin with ya(well sort of).

Congrats again on a good one.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

karleydavidson46

Six Pointer
Start lying about the county you killed your deer in or everyone will come try and get the land.....lol. Just messin with ya(well sort of).

Congrats again on a good one.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thanks! But lol it’s already trying to happen but luckily there’s no land available around me.