Charlotte Hunts

Walter

Button Buck
Where’s a good place to hunt birds around Charlotte besides clubs? Any public lands offer pheasant, quail, etc besides going out to the coastal region? I don’t have a boat or dogs. Or am I just SOL?

kahunter

Eight Pointer
unfortunately SOL. No quail or pheasant May be some walk in spots to duck hunting or public dove spots but I wouldnt bet on those being too good.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
There are none whatsoever in your neck of the woods. Finding ducks without a boat or quail on public land in your area is like finding Sasquatch and the duck hunting isn’t really better if you have a boat. And there are no pheasants in nc except on the outer banks and I’m not sure that they even have a population now.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I saw a couple pheasant checking in at the Bodie Island lighthouse - about 40 years ago. Only (wild) ones I've seen in NC.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
No native pheasant, maybe the odd one which escapes from a tower shoot but they don't last long in the wild. Native quail also near nonexistent; don't remember the last one I heard, much less saw in the wild.

If you have to resort to a club there's a pretty good one up near Cherryville by all accounts; don't recall the name.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Extremely few Quail around Charlotte. No Pheasants.
Ducks ? There are a few ducks. A lot of competition, and alot of rude, greedy, jealous people.
You have to have a boat unless you know someone with a swamp or a pond on private property. I can think of no public land with walk in access left.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If you can find someone with a good dog or two, you’re not too far from PeeDee refuge or scoot across to ft Bragg (gotta sit in on class to hunt). Huntable numbers of bobwhites there but you gonna put in the miles to get’em, but finding 3-5 coveys a day is not beyond impossible. They also have different limits than the state.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
No native pheasant, maybe the odd one which escapes from a tower shoot but they don't last long in the wild. Native quail also near nonexistent; don't remember the last one I heard, much less saw in the wild.

If you have to resort to a club there's a pretty good one up near Cherryville by all accounts; don't recall the name.
Rock Haven Farms?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
but finding 3-5 coveys a day is not beyond impossible.

you-told-them-that-why-did-you-tell-them-that.gif

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
If you can find someone with a good dog or two, you’re not too far from PeeDee refuge or scoot across to ft Bragg (gotta sit in on class to hunt). Huntable numbers of bobwhites there but you gonna put in the miles to get’em, but finding 3-5 coveys a day is not beyond impossible. They also have different limits than the state.
The few quail I’ve seen at bragg run 76 mph. I mean I guess I would run too when them fellas from Q school are in a particular phase and are hungry.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Used to see them decades ago around Hatteras when we drove all over the sound area fishing. Always wanted to try and hunt them. Know a guy from New Bern that would often fly his plane there for the day and hunt with moderate success. He had a good bird dog.