Change to 2021 Roanoke Striper Season

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
It's a bunch of BS!!! Damn netters are killing everything and the recs are paying the price. The rockfish are plentiful in the Roanoke and have been for many years....... It's all politics. Plus it is a move to create revenue for the state from all of the possession tickets that will be written. 6 damn days is a joke :mad:.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It's a bunch of BS!!! Damn netters are killing everything and the recs are paying the price. The rockfish are plentiful in the Roanoke and have been for many years....... It's all politics. Plus it is a move to create revenue for the state from all of the possession tickets that will be written. 6 damn days is a joke :mad:.
if the damn netters were killing everything as you say why would the roanoke have had plentiful rockfish for many years?
the gubt has done everything they can to preserve the striper fishery, from controlling flow on the river to using seasons and limits that built it back from oblivion.
if greedy fishermen (rec and com) were left alone stripers in the roanoke would be a figment.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. a week season on each section.???? they should of just closed it. The boats on the water for that season is going to be insane. everyone will be there and it will be a major cluster &&%$$.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
if greedy fishermen (rec and com) were left alone stripers in the roanoke would be a figment.
Problem is the closure is for recs. The comms will still get striper poundage along with the dead bycatch. I am sure somebody got a nice under the table cash bonus for cutting the rec season down. If not they would have cut it for all fishermen.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. a week season on each section.???? they should of just closed it. The boats on the water for that season is going to be insane. everyone will be there and it will be a major cluster &&%$$.
Dude, it will be a madhouse at every ramp. And you know that guy who just bought a boat and can't back will be there too :ROFLMAO:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Problem is the closure is for recs. The comms will still get striper poundage along with the dead bycatch. I am sure somebody got a nice under the table cash bonus for cutting the rec season down. If not they would have cut it for all fishermen.
you do understand some rec fisherman support this? would they be as likely as the coms to bribe?
"anglers can continue to catch and release striped bass throughout the spring" (from the proposal)
That is music to those wanting less boat traffic and more fish to catch for themselves.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

I don't see that many people making the trip and putting up with the restrictions to get one fish....

if the damn netters were killing everything as you say why would the roanoke have had plentiful rockfish for many years?

You must be new to the river, the stocks have been on the decline for the past 12 to 15 years....

Wilmywood

Button Buck
From what I have seen its not gonna make a difference as far as people catching and keeping fish. I have been at the ramp many times and seen people unloading undersized fish and/or multiple limits. There just isn't enough enforcement from what I see to make a difference

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see that many people making the trip and putting up with the restrictions to get one fish....

You must be new to the river, the stocks have been on the decline for the past 12 to 15 years....
i was just quoting what the other man said. obviously the stocks are declining or the new regs would have no basis?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I remember saying at the 2 buck limit hearing, they will ruin my hunting just like my fishing. They closed the Tar and now might as well close the Roanoke. I like to eat fresh fish, fresh as in I caught it. Recon Ill have to fill the boat up with some no fish eating folks for 7 days, wait a week and do it 7 more days, to get enough to eat for a while.

todobien

Eight Pointer
It's been sad watching the catches go down since the heydays of the 90s. I hope we can see that again.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Boats on the water and at the landing was enough for me to sell my boat years ago.
I haven't been rockfishing at Weldon in probably 10yrs or more because of all the people.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk