Change of Mind

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I have struggled for a long time with the hunting seasons and regulations. I hear rifle shots during muzzle loading season and it made my blood boil. Well, Saturday I heard it again and it came to me, this is also bear season so I guess it is legal to be carrying rifles in the woods. My proposal would be to delay bow season by one or two weeks, start gun season a week earlier week, skip muzzle loading season. Run gun season until a week after Christmas and then have 2 weeks of primitive weapon only season. Lots of deer are injured during bow and muzzle loading season so that would leave it until last to pick up the scrubs and does if you want one to eat. I know there are some large bucks killed in late winter hunting but most trophy deer are killed in that November rut. Probably never happen and I will be happy just to hunt but seems to me like a little adjustment could eliminate some issues.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Now that being said I’m sometimes accused of using a rifle by neighboring properties. I use a smokeless ml. It doesn’t sound the same. Just the sharp crack of a conventional rifle. I always make sure the land owners know too if on someone else. And they should be accustomed to me emptying it after dark.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
ya got to excuse some folks,,, they forget that NC has 4 different season structures,,,,

my opinion is if you don't like how it's set up for where you are currently hunting, then just go somewhere else,,,
Just like " youth " turkey season. If you'd like to take a kid the 1st week in April , have at it.

If not , don't.

Sorry for the attempted hijack ;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
In central NC it really couldnt be structured any better for maximum buck kill and big horns and get in the traditional special seasons.

I also get a kick out of those trying to "unhear" /justify the rifles during ML- chalking them up to target practice and coyotes and such.

Does anyone know of a citation given for killing one with a rifle during ML season?
Until that becomes common just grin and bear it.
Plus maybe we should look the other way on deer killings- biden has made groceries damn expensive. :)

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Already 3 weeks here
You must be in the western region. If we could get that short season here after three years the taxidermist wouldn't be able to keep up. Central region is geared toward maximum hunting opportunity, the two buck limit that was supposed to increase trophy potential means nothing on private land. If firearms seasons would start at Thanksgiving as the rut winds down it would save a lot of young bucks

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You must be in the western region. If we could get that short season here after three years the taxidermist wouldn't be able to keep up. Central region is geared toward maximum hunting opportunity, the two buck limit that was supposed to increase trophy potential means nothing on private land. If firearms seasons would start at Thanksgiving as the rut winds down it would save a lot of young bucks
You are simply proving others point- if someone is going to shoot more than their 2 buck limit, they will still do it most likely, with a gun during bow & muzzleloader,since it’s “private land”.. If the penalty for poaching was higher, it would happen less.
I think it would actually get worse if NC ever does an antler restriction..

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
You are simply proving others point- if someone is going to shoot more than their 2 buck limit, they will still do it most likely, with a gun during bow & muzzleloader,since it’s “private land”.. If the penalty for poaching was higher, it would happen less.
I think it would actually get worse if NC ever does an antler restriction..
You are correct. It would take multiple changes to make a difference. I have spent over 8 years letting deer live hunting almost 700 acres here at home and all I'm getting done is supplying my neighbors with a steady stream of 15" bucks

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not really about dates but about shots you are hearing. Son, daughter and myself all shoot savage ML with smokeless riffle powder. Shots sound just like a rifle when I hear one of them shoot.

just a thought

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You are correct. It would take multiple changes to make a difference. I have spent over 8 years letting deer live hunting almost 700 acres here at home and all I'm getting done is supplying my neighbors with a steady stream of 15" bucks

two quickest ways to help yourself there is to either improve the habitat with a focus on retaining as many deer as possible, or find a larger piece of property among like minded hunters.

Season changes & weapons regulations aren’t going to help you there.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
ya got to excuse some folks,,, they forget that NC has 4 different season structures,,,,

my opinion is if you don't like how it's set up for where you are currently hunting, then just go somewhere else,,,
Cmonnn Yoda! Stop with the rational thinking you must