Champion Trees

Roanoke

Eight Pointer

Interesting site where you can see some of the largest trees in the State. Gone With The Wind article on page 21 of current issue of NC Wildlife got me searching. North Eastern NC by far has the most Champions in the state. How many times has everyone fished by that big Bald Cypress in the mouth of Conohoe. I never know that it was the largest in the state. I know where one is that is close to that size, maybe larger. Be interesting if any of us can find trees to beat some of the records. Live Oak and Dogwood will be the toughest. I had no idea that Dogwoods got so big. Check out the record. Talk about learning something new everyday.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns

Interesting site where you can see some of the largest trees in the State. Never knew that Dogwoods got so big. Gone With The Wind article on page 21 of current issue of NC Wildlife got me searching. How many times has everyone fished by that big Bald Cypress in the mouth of Conohoe. I never know that it was the largest in the state.

Something I’m fascinated with. I know a guy that’s put a large majority of those trees in there. It’s quite interesting. He’s obsessed with it. Hell of an arborist.

I found a hackberry once that I’m certain would have went in there, but I was coonhunting on an invite and didn’t have a contact to go back and measure. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing a lot of those trees. Truly fascinating.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Something I’m fascinated with. I know a guy that’s put a large majority of those trees in there. It’s quite interesting. He’s obsessed with it. Hell of an arborist.

I found a hackberry once that I’m certain would have went in there, but I was coonhunting on an invite and didn’t have a contact to go back and measure. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing a lot of those trees. Truly fascinating.
I've got a male persimmon tree at my Grandpas old place that is big as or bigger than the two on there,come by and check it out if you're ever down this way.59752419-E6B2-43E1-9810-29838879DC01.jpeg

Last edited:

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I have one coming on strong that will overtake the American Chestnut entry in a few more years...The tree I have in my yard is 10 years old and is over 40 ft high...All by itself so I can monitor it for scab or blight. I have spent a long time trying to grow American chestnut and chinquapins...I have several chestnut trees that are appearing blight free and some that get knocked back every few years then erupt into growth again...I have located 6 on our farm that are well over 30 ft that are producing nuts and one that is on a creek bank that is over 50 ft but it is growing at an angle and will fall eventually. What is so strange about the big chestnut is that there are cucumber trees and hemlock trees growing nearby...as well as old man's beard, and lady slippers...a lot of neat stuff in that area.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Here is a couple pics...zoom in on trees and see the chestnuts.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 47

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer

Interesting site where you can see some of the largest trees in the State. Gone With The Wind article on page 21 of current issue of NC Wildlife got me searching. North Eastern NC by far has the most Champions in the state. How many times has everyone fished by that big Bald Cypress in the mouth of Conohoe. I never know that it was the largest in the state. I know where one is that is close to that size, maybe larger. Be interesting if any of us can find trees to beat some of the records. Live Oak and Dogwood will be the toughest. I had no idea that Dogwoods got so big. Check out the record. Talk about learning something new everyday.

Thanks for sharing...pretty cool

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That is a great WINC article. I was blown away by that Dogwood tree; incredible.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I know of several Bald Cypress bigger than that one........ Bigger around and taller. One has knees over 15 ft tall.

cmckearney

Button Buck
The Native Tree Society does some pretty cool stuff with locating champion trees and old growth.

I've been meaning to make a trip down to Congaree since it has so many records. I do wetland delineations throughout the southeast and come across some pretty crazy stuff sometimes that could be record material or close to it.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I need to go on there and see what the listing is for pin oak. I have one on my property that I guarantee you is the biggest in NC. Hell, 6 grown adults can hold hands and not reach around it. I even hate to guess how talk it is...maybe 110-15 feet.

Einstein

Six Pointer
Not in NC, but in a slough in AR. I was amazed by the size. Might not even be big to some of you guys. Check out this big guy.

ddab52df5a9aab4aa596f4650297a9ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they run that article every couple of years,,,

look forward to seeing all the new "big trees" that you all have in the next version,,